Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How To Do E.V.P

Arcadia

I posted this thread in my own forum as a sticky but i thought id post it here too because i would like everyone to know how to do it as its probably going to be the thing that proves undoubtadly that we go on after death.

Ok here is a step by step guide to doing basic E.V.P.

You will need a digital voice recorder. (tape recorders work also but check that you can plug a lead from it to the pc because you'll need it to run evp through audacity)

Heres where to get audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ just click download on the page that appears and make sure it goes to your desktop or your preffered download folder.

Ok here we go

Step 1) Take your voice recorder to the place you want to do evp and make sure its as quiet as possible and inform the spirits that you are going to record and you will be asking them questions.

Step 2) Click record and and ask if there are any spirits there and could they speak into the voice recorder,then ask suitable questions like, Whats your name? Did you live here? When did you die? Do you need help? (it depends where you are and why etc, youl know the questions you want to ask, but thats the basic kind of thing you should usually start off with) Generally recording evp should be for about 5 to 10 minutes and make sure you leave about a 20 second pause between questions.

Now click stop.

Step 3) Now plug the lead into the ear socket of the recorder and from that into the microphone socket of the PC.

step4)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Arc...1/audacity1.bmp

Now open audacity and press record (as shown above) then click play on your recorder straight after, it will now record whats on the voice recorder, (remember to set your recorder so it is set to play the correct file) then when the recorder has got to the end press stop on audacity.

Step 5)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Arc...1/audacity4.bmp

Its best to save the recording before listening to it just incase you accidentally delete it or anything, so click file then save project as (as shown above) and save it to your desired folder (a folder named EVP would be wise)

Now go back to audacity, if you have closed it just open it again and click file then open and go to the folder that you put your evp in (example below)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Arc...1/audacity2.bmp

Step 6) Here is the easiest way to use audacity. (dont worry its not that complicated you dont need all those things you see on it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Arc...1/audacity3.bmp

The only thing you will need to use in audacity is the effects tab,(as shown above) and you wont need much of those.

Here is a rundown of the sounds i have heard and the things i have done to enhance them in the past to show you the sort of things you should try.

Remember in each one of these cases you will be clicking the effects tab first

A loud distorted voice>> Click noise removal and try and drown it out a bit. (use the little bar at the bottom in noise removal)

Talking backwards>> Click reverse. (remember and try reversing every piece of evp you get, as sometimes there saying 2 things at once)

Too quiet>> Click amplify and set it as loud as you think is appropriate.

Quick or slow voice>> Slow it down or speed it up (with audacity click change speed and slow it down or speed it up with the the little bar at the bottom) In the event that it is a quick voice, sometimes its just one word so look out for them, they usually come one after the other quite quickly.

Voice too high or low pitched>> Click change pitch then choose either up or down (changing the pitch in audacity is a bit complicated as you have to set the notes correctly on each side but just try different things with it and youl get it)

There are more strange sounds that can come through on evp that i cant really comment on,you just have to hear them for yourself.

Edited by Arcadia

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arcadia

• Hoagy

• Mr Ed

• KevinM

Or you could just leave your phone recorder running for 10 minutes like I did...

623719[/snapback]

You could if it works, ive tried my phone recorder a couple of times and got nothing

Did the spirit speak clearly?

Even if they do though theres always parts you need to enhance that you might not even hear before running it through the computer.

Would this work with a digital camera?

Anyone got any examples of EVP they could post up, haven't heard any before.

Anyone got any examples of EVP they could post up, haven't heard any before.

623825[/snapback]

Click the link in my signature, thats our website click evp

623817[/snapback]

How would that work exactly? do you mean a camcorder? we have picked up one piece of evp on camcorder before and you heard it on both cams.

I did hear of some team that got a lot like this cant remember where though

623817[/snapback]

How would that work exactly? do you mean a camcorder? we have picked up one piece of evp on camcorder before and you heard it on both cams.

I did hear of some team that got a lot like this cant remember where though

623990[/snapback]

Yes, I wasn't thinking, digital camcorder. Also, my digital camera can take short film clips. I guess I could ask about that, too.

In response to 'did it work for you?', yes my phone did. I left it in my room for just under 10 minutes. I felt lame for doing so, but I left something of my deceased grandma's by it... I came back listened to it, heard something really weird. Put it on my pc and turned it up full volume. The sound I got does not fit in with any noise in my room. I was actually in my room at the time sitting down working, obviously the mind hears what it wants, but 'it' lasts 2-3 seconds and says two things. The first intelligible, and the second sounding like 'boy'. It freaked me out.

I can't put it on here because the file is nearly 10 minutes and I do not know how to cut it down as it is an AMR file. However, if anyone wants I can send it through msn. Ive posted about this before.

In response to 'did it work for you?', yes my phone did. I left it in my room for just under 10 minutes. I felt lame for doing so, but I left something of my deceased grandma's by it... I came back listened to it, heard something really weird. Put it on my pc and turned it up full volume. The sound I got does not fit in with any noise in my room. I was actually in my room at the time sitting down working, obviously the mind hears what it wants, but 'it' lasts 2-3 seconds and says two things. The first intelligible, and the second sounding like 'boy'. It freaked me out.

I can't put it on here because the file is nearly 10 minutes and I do not know how to cut it down as it is an AMR file. However, if anyone wants I can send it through msn. Ive posted about this before.

624092[/snapback]

Well if your phone works great, or anything else that records

You should download audacity though mr ed and muck around with it to make it clearer,you never know there might be more stuff on there too

You must keep in mind that when you enter a area to get EVP's such as a cemetery, if you are completely open and just looking for anyone or anything, you will leave yourself vunerable for anything including negative energy. I usually will like to get familiar with the area first before i do EVP's. Not everything you catch on a recoder welcomes you to where they dwell.

I have only ever done it at home, and I've only ever recieved one unexplicible (a noise/sound that I cannot explain) result, hmmmm interesting though.

Edited by Mr Ed

HOw to get an EVP:

Step 1: Get an audio recorder(tape or digital)

Step 2: Go to some where reputed to be haunted

Step 3: Press record

Step 4: Wait 10 min or more then press stop

Step 5: Press play and see what you got

Despite popular oppinion for most decent evps you don't need complex software or expensive equipment to get them. If you can find one a Panasonic IC recorder seems to be the most effective(was in fact discontinued because of two many complaints regarding anomolous voices appearing on recordings unfort it makes finding them almost impossible). Some safety tips:

Don't ask for names

Don't ask if they ever lived

Don't ask if they are human

Don't ask for a display of power

All of these questions have a habit of provoking more violent spirits. If you know what your doing and how to protect yourself its a some what different matter but generaly speaking the wisest course is to just see what comes. It is also extremely advisable during any investigation to begin with a prayer for protection appropriate to your own religious beliefs.

HOw to get an EVP:

Despite popular oppinion for most decent evps you don't need complex software or expensive equipment to get them.  If you can find one a Panasonic IC recorder seems to be the most effective(was in fact discontinued because of two many complaints regarding anomolous voices appearing on recordings unfort it makes finding them almost impossible).  Some safety tips:

Don't ask for names

All of these questions have a habit of provoking more violent spirits.  If you know what your doing and how to protect yourself its a some what different matter but generaly speaking the wisest course is to just see what comes.  It is also extremely advisable during any investigation to begin with a prayer for protection appropriate to your own religious beliefs.

624473[/snapback]

We find the best recorder to be a panasonic RR-Dr60(which i believe was also discontinued due to spirits talking in the background),you can have a convesation with a spirit instantly,but you do need to run it through the computer as its very distarted a lot of the time,but ill have a look at those panasonic ICs

We ask all of these questions (except are you human i dont think we thought of that one) and about 50% of the time we do get a lot of abuse and insults but we just take it with a pinch of salt, the thing is if you dont ask those questions your just playing with it.

Through asking questions like this weve spoke to dead relatives and now have a friend on the other side named stephen

We know of the dangers of doing these things but we have a lot of resources such as psychics,healers etc to fall back on if screw up and were learning how to do such things as get rid of unwanted spirits etc at the moment

i've done ALOT of EVP before havn't done any in a while. To date i have got 152 recordings of unusual voices on tape they are all fascinating

Don't ask for names

624473[/snapback]

interesting comment there kevinM cause i have done this many times and have gotten ALOT of replies back none bad all good replies they always tell me their name.

example of names:

Marie

Peter

Murray

John

Through asking questions like this weve spoke to dead relatives and now have a friend on the other side named stephen

624730[/snapback]

That's quite cool! Does he help you with unwanted spirits? Or with other things, like inviting other spirits for evp or photography?

It depends greatly on where you are. Names have a great deal of signifigance in them and being careless with it can get very dangerous. The other questions i mentioned are also ones malovelent spirits do not like to be asked. Some times they'll just get insulting, and other times they'll get down right violent. Thats why I suggested they are not good choices if you don't knwo what your doing. Its also worth noting that nothing you get from EVPs should be taken with more then a grain of salt. Spirits are more then capable of lying repeatedly and constantly(demons for example have never been human nor have they ever been a living creature but they tend to say yes to both after adding some insult or another).

It you have religious Faith, it is a good idea to "clean" the area in which you are recording through prayer.

The following is the website of a good friend of a good friend of mine (I've never met Alan personally, but we share a mutual friend). Alan is a psychic medium and has done a lot of EVP recordings. Some of those recordings are on his website to listen to :

http://www.alanhatfield.com/

Alan is a Native Canadian, and before doing EVP recordings he always cleanses with prayer and by burning sweet grass.

624730[/snapback]

That's quite cool! Does he help you with unwanted spirits? Or with other things, like inviting other spirits for evp or photography?

625041[/snapback]

So far he has brought 2 of our friends mums to talk and i believe he was the one who brought my aunt

One of the team had a conversation with him one night about ghostfinders in general and at one point he said something like were doing evp to prove to the world that you can communicate like this to the other side (or words to that effect) and you hear stephen clearly say "yes, you must prove it"

HOw to get an EVP:

Despite popular oppinion for most decent evps you don't need complex software or expensive equipment to get them.  If you can find one a Panasonic IC recorder seems to be the most effective(was in fact discontinued because of two many complaints regarding anomolous voices appearing on recordings unfort it makes finding them almost impossible).   Some safety tips:

Don't ask for names

All of these questions have a habit of provoking more violent spirits.  If you know what your doing and how to protect yourself its a some what different matter but generaly speaking the wisest course is to just see what comes.  It is also extremely advisable during any investigation to begin with a prayer for protection appropriate to your own religious beliefs.

624473[/snapback]

We find the best recorder to be a panasonic RR-Dr60(which i believe was also discontinued due to spirits talking in the background),you can have a convesation with a spirit instantly,but you do need to run it through the computer as its very distarted a lot of the time,but ill have a look at those panasonic ICs

We ask all of these questions (except are you human i dont think we thought of that one) and about 50% of the time we do get a lot of abuse and insults but we just take it with a pinch of salt, the thing is if you dont ask those questions your just playing with it.

We know of the dangers of doing these things but we have a lot of resources such as psychics,healers etc to fall back on if screw up and were learning how to do such things as get rid of unwanted spirits etc at the moment

624730[/snapback]

I picked up EVP recordings from an abandoned mental hospital here in Illinois. I heard it as plain as day without even having to put it through any kind of filtering on a computer.

To be honest, I still take it with a pinch of salt, could've been anything really. I think that people take the whole opening the 'portal to the netherworld' a little too seriously. it's a tape recorder at the end of the day.

Another one of the recent 'trends' in paranormal investigation along with orbs...

I picked up EVP recordings from an abandoned mental hospital here in Illinois.  I heard it as plain as day without even having to put it through any kind of filtering on a computer.

To be honest, I still take it with a pinch of salt, could've been anything really.  I think that people take the whole opening the 'portal to the netherworld' a little too seriously.  it's a tape recorder at the end of the day.

Another one of the recent 'trends' in paranormal investigation along with orbs...

Lol no hoagy i know theres a lot of daft people out there just now going through a most haunted phase but i most certainly am not

Why do you take it with a pinch of salt anyway?

Edited by Arcadia