Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery ISS Object Was 'Cable Tag'

UM-Bot

A 2 1/2-inch-long flat metal object that drifted away from the international space station earlier this week most likely was an identification tag from an external power or data cable, NASA officials said Friday.

Astronaut Ed Lu, one of the station's two current tenants, noticed the small object drift past the window of the station's U.S. Destiny science laboratory module early Thursday.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Houston Chronicle

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aslan

• Nancy

• Space Moose

• SpaceyKC

Top Posters In This Topic

How much junk is up there now?

And does it all orbit Earth? Are we going to end up with a great ring of crap like Saturn's rings?

How much junk is up there now?

And does it all orbit Earth? Are we going to end up with a great ring of crap like Saturn's rings?

I haven't found any UPDATES to this, so as of the Year 2000....

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/space_junk.html

Some Interesting Facts:

" 8,927 man-made objects officially tracked (up from 8,841 in July 1999)

4 million pounds of stuff

110,000 total objects 1 centimeter and larger

The oldest debris still on orbit is the second US satellite, the Vanguard I, launched on 1958, March, the 17th, which worked only for 6 years.

In 1965, during the first american space walk, the Gemini 4 astronaut Edward White, lost a glove. For a month, the glove stayed on orbit with a speed of 28,000 km / h, becoming the most dangerous garment in history.

More than 200 objects, most of them rubbish bags, were released by the Mir space station during its first 10 years of operation.

The most space debris created by a spacecraft's destruction was due to the upper stage of a Pegasus rocket launched in 1994. Its explosion in 1996 generated a cloud of some 300,000 fragments bigger than 4 mm and 700 among them were big enough to be catalogued. This explosion alone doubled the Hubble Space Telescope collision risk. "

If you want to find out WHO put WHAT, WHERE? :

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/space_junk_list.html

ohmy.gif Sounds like we need an "Adopt the Universe Program" akin to the "Adopt a Highway" here in the USA!!

wacko.gif

Nice link Nancy!

God. Is there no limit to what humans can pollute (I suspect not. Perhaps this is the origin of all UFOs. Dysfunctional kid in class needing an eye kept on them...etc).

And sorry to go on, but how do you know so much about this kind of thing?

Aslan, if your question is to Nancy, then I'll let her tell you....

but I do know that she has a great interest in space (and stuff) grin2.gif

and she has an awesome website called SPACENSTUFF original.gif

And sorry to go on, but how do you know so much about this kind of thing?

Aslan, if your question is to Nancy, then I'll let her tell you....

but I do know that she has a great interest in space (and stuff)  

and she has an awesome website called SPACENSTUFF  

Aslan? KC? BIGGGGGGGGG cool.gif Here!! grin2.gif

KC, first of all, thanks for the unsolicited "Plug" I appreciate it!

Aslan? I think KC said it all. My zest for Space (n Stuff) started when

I was barely out of diapers... ok, a SLIGHT exaggeration.... In my early

teens when the Gemini and Apollo Programs were initiated here in the US.

When July 20, 1969 rolled around and Neil Armstrong place the first human footprint on the Moon, that sealed it for me!

At the time, I was living near Washinton, DC. I had an opportunity to visit the Space Museum and....... I also ventured to Arlington National Cemetery to visit the graves of the Astronauts that perished during the fire on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral, to name a few 'in person' experiences.

Now? I live 200 miles south of The Cape. I am able to witness the Shuttle launches from my driveway. The sight will take your breath away! Needless to say, the Shuttle Fleet is grounded....... How I miss those night launches!

Ut oh, my turn to say, "Sorry to go on"......... Geeze, I could "talk" for hours about this stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed the LINK. Next suggestion I have? DUCK! wink.gif

Thanks for the update Gareth original.gif

and thank you for the information Nancy, it's really quite amazing about all that junk

and thank you for the information Nancy, it's really quite amazing about all that junk

rolleyes.gif Awwwwwww Homer? Twas not a problem!

You are more than welcome.

Is there no limit to what humans can pollute (I suspect not....)

Since there is a finite amount of matter and an infinite amount of space, there would be a limit on how much we could possibly pollute.

Clearly, I was using hyperbole to stress my point and not positing a serious question.

Thought you would have spotted that, too.

It is hard to spot those sorts of things without knowing you personally or hearing you speak. Having said that, it remains a helpful reminder for others who are likewise ignorant to your use of hyperbole, sarcasm, allegory or other similar literary device.

We will never live in space! There will be too much junk flying around up there!