Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fear and the actions it brings

TheOriginalF

I was over in the World Events section discussing gun control....and I posted this:

"And why is everybody so paranoid and scared of being attacked and robbed? It sounds to me like a gun is a security blanket to you people, I have never in my life worried about being robbed, attacked or killed. It's something I just don't think about, if it happens it happens, but I refuse worry about it or go out of my way to arm myself to the teeth because I'm "afraid" of those around me."

Leading to this response by XSAS:

"Now that is a different discussion... being afraid of being robbed, raped killed and the rest depends on where you live.. start a new discussion?"

And seconded by Snake 6024

"Please do so.I m interested."

So lets discuss our fears of society, is it warranted or are we over reacting? Does anybody here think that fear and paranoia are driving some to needless feel that they need to defend themselves? Could it be that I simply live in a happy and peaceful place were crime just isn't an issue...and if so why do so many of my neighbors feel the need to be defending themselves with guns?

I'd love to hear any feedback you all have on the issue.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnakeProphet

• moe eubleck

• TheOriginalF

• Ziggy Stardust

Being paranoid doesn t help.But being completely carefree doesn t help either.There is no such thing as a happy and peaceful place where more than 2 people live.Eventually something will happen.But being afraid of something inevitable is pointless.And relying on weapons is too.If you have the abilities needed to survive such an encounter then there is no need for guns.Guns only make you more effective.Not invincible.

I'm not paranoid, I'm prepare-noid. user posted image

No, seriously. I own lots of guns but not because I'm afraid of people. I just have them because I like them. I wouldn't feel vulnerable if I didn't own any.

But since gun ownership ranks somewhere between child abuse and cannibalism to some people on this board, I generally avoid those threads now.

Those are some good points, I don't think there is anything wrong with having a gun it's those who are irresponsible that I dislike. So people who collect them as a hobby don't really bother me. I'm referring more to the people who seem to sleep with one under their pillow or have to always have one at hand, just in case. It always seems to be a selling point when somebody is defending the ownership of a gun, most people I know who keep one always have it ready to go. Is this kind of paranoia really necessary? Is anyone really that concerned with their own safety?

So let's discuss weather or not our society is becoming more paranoid than necessary or weather or not it's completely warranted. Please provide us with examples or sight sources for crime in your area (or nation/world wide), I think it would be really interesting to see how people view safety and threats around the globe.

Let's try not to have this thread spiral into an pro vs anti gun argument, try to focus on the problems of violence and safety in our society. I think it would make a much more interesting topic than just another gun thread.

lol... depending on which bikie mob you encounter socrates..

personally.. i dont feel the need to have lots of guns about, unless you need them for farming, or are employed to cull animals. too many ppl get a bit 'gun happy' so to speak. one of my friends boys' has about 6 of them, ranging from rifles to semi-automatics and handguns. she hates them.

if they are policed correctly, and cleared given to ppl who have no mental illness (sorry.. but if you suffer from depression, or bi-polar.. this can seriously impair judgement.. especially seeing as a lot of mental health ppl do not always stick to medications) i guess that it can work..

i myself am not a fan of guns.. i will admit have shot them, at bottles. but. i cannot bring myself to shoot an animal for sport.. if they are seriously injured and beyond repair.. and a vet cannot assist.. then yes, maybe i could (well i guess i would have too) but i think having guns in your house is just asking for trouble.

I've had a lot of people tell me I *should* get a gun, actually, as I'm a single female and I live alone way out in the country. I don't feel any desire to do so, though. I've very seldom felt afraid out here.

There have been two times when I was really worried, both because of the same person. I have a neighbor who is extremely creepy, known for beating up his wife, thought to be into drugs, etc. One night he followed me home with his lights off. I sat in my car and honked the horn like there was someone inside and he got scared and drove away.

Another time he came up to my house during the day and was acting weird, kind of nervous, and I couldn't make any sense out of what he was saying. That was after I got my rottweiler. She just went out and stood between him and the house, not barking or anything but just watching him. He got even more nervous, suggested I should "shoot her" (! As if! ) then got back in his truck and drove away. That was a couple years ago, probably, and he hasn't been back. original.gif

So I guess my answer is that I rely on my dogs and my wits. I've never used a gun and I think I'd probably feel less secure if I had one, since that would raise the stakes in any encounter. Does that make any sense?

I think some people buy guns because they feel powerful and 'invinsible' owning one. They need to find other ways for feeling strong.

I used to own 3 guns for hunting,but after the dunblane masacar i got rid of them incase the police raided my house and i got time in side(not worth the agro)

I know have an air gun which i use for hunting ,usefull but not the same

I have seen people (mainly males) with a gun in their hand and they seem to turn into a completly different person,these could be the maniacs of the future given the opertunity

If there was a complete ban on air guns i would hand mines in right aeay ,but i see in the queens speach it didnt even get a mention,cant be that much of a problem to the people in power

I live in a decent neighborhood and I have been broken-into twice in the past three months. I own many guns but don't keep them in my house( as I live in town ) I keep them at my parents'.

I AM fearful of someone coming into my house while I am sleeping, taking my things, hurting me, raping/killing. This is not something I saw on the news, not something distant. It was real for me and if you have seen my blog you would know that it has broken me down and brought me to a place in my life I thought I would never reside. Fear. Those people that robbed me should count themselves lucky that I don't keep my guns in my home and that I was not home when they did it. If you have ever been robbed, someone walking around your house taking your things and your pets, your family; you would know that life gets hard after that. There is only so much insurance can do for you.

I live in a decent neighborhood and I have been broken-into twice in the past  three months. I own many guns but don't keep them in my house( as I live in town ) I keep them at my parents'. 

I AM fearful of someone coming into my house while I am sleeping, taking my things, hurting me, raping/killing. This is not something I saw on the news, not something distant. It was real for me and if you have seen my blog you would know that it has broken me down and brought me to a place in my life I thought I would never reside. Fear.  Those people that robbed me should count themselves lucky that I don't keep my guns in my home and that I was not home when they did it. If you have ever been robbed, someone walking around your house taking your things and your pets, your family; you would know that life gets hard after that. There is only so much insurance can do for you.

627492[/snapback]

i know how you feel. i was almost robbed wile me and my friend were going to my house one night. we went past these guys that would normally just f*&^ around with us but this time they were drunk one of them came up to us and ask if we wonted to buy some crack we said no and then he said ok then this is a robbery give me your wallet! i refused and said we were broke because we were and not only that my social security card was in my wallet. so he came right i front of me and demanded it. it told him no agin and then the next thing i remember was running away and spiting blood out of my mouth as my friend was telling me to come on. the next few minutes were a bluer we fond a cop and then i was in the ambulance talking to some guy he was asking me stuff like whats my birth day and i could not for the life of me remember i was really out of it. then after that was at least 3 weeks of pain and eating mashed potatos and jello now i have a big ugly scar on my lip that ill have for the rest of my life and for some reason the cops lost the report or something like that and so we could not get him to pay my medical bills now i ow over a thousand dollars in medical bills and me and my family are having unoff trouble paying are bills already. it only gos to show you that the justice system dose not always work so those people that don't understand some peoples paranoia all i can say is you probly wont until some thing like that happens to you no.gif just remember that there allot of bad people out there crying.gif

Edited by Ravinar

I live in a decent neighborhood and I have been broken-into twice in the past  three months. I own many guns but don't keep them in my house( as I live in town ) I keep them at my parents'. 

I AM fearful of someone coming into my house while I am sleeping, taking my things, hurting me, raping/killing. This is not something I saw on the news, not something distant. It was real for me and if you have seen my blog you would know that it has broken me down and brought me to a place in my life I thought I would never reside. Fear.  Those people that robbed me should count themselves lucky that I don't keep my guns in my home and that I was not home when they did it. If you have ever been robbed, someone walking around your house taking your things and your pets, your family; you would know that life gets hard after that. There is only so much insurance can do for you.

627492[/snapback]

Ever considered learning martial arts?And i mean real martial arts.Not the type you learn in the school around the corner.If you have a friend who has experience in such things then get him to teach you a few things.

Martial arts cant stop a bullet....

Martial arts cant stop a bullet....

627935[/snapback]

But a gun can?

Edited by Snake_6024

a gun can stop a bullet?

hmmmm

Indeed this notion has its merits. Moe shall attend the next gun show and locate a large cannon. Very large. Orca large. Then, when Moe is next threatened at gun point, he shall hide behind said gun as if it were a shield.

Indeed a gun can stop a bullet. grin2.gif

a gun can stop a bullet?

hmmmm

Indeed this notion has its merits. Moe shall attend the next gun show and locate a large cannon. Very large. Orca large. Then, when Moe is next threatened at gun point, he shall hide behind said gun as if it were a shield.

Indeed a gun can stop a bullet. grin2.gif

628003[/snapback]

I understand what you meant at first.Martial arts can make people too self-confident.Like I said.A gun makes you more effective.Not invincible.

Indeed, a false sense of security is something that has given many ninjas, gun shot wounds.

oh... to be that ninja.

Indeed,  a false sense of security is something that has given many ninjas, gun shot wounds.

oh... to be that ninja.

628061[/snapback]

Right.But I still consider Martial Arts more effective than guns.Guns can be taken away.And the gun is only so much effective as the user is.

I agree with Snake 6024, having a gun for protection is only as effective if the shooter knows what they are doing.

I too find myself surrounded by seemingly unbalanced people, small town america seems to breed things like that. But I refuse to live in fear because my neighbor or some idiot down town may or may not try to hurt me. I think taking a few safety precautions can be smart but at what point does our fear of others begin to infringe on our quality of life? We (especially here in the states) seem to exhibit a very unhealthy fear of what is around us, I think personally it comes down to our quality of life being at such a high level. It seems in some cases we've become so concerned about losing what we have that we have forgotten to simply enjoy it while it lasts.

same can be said about martial arts.

same can be said about martial arts.

628095[/snapback]

Martial Arts can be taken away?

no martial arts is only as effective as the user is. The problem with so many martial arts now, especially the classical ones, is that they are still using 1000 year old training techniques. In a world with guns and cars, the drunken monkey technique will only get you maimed.

But if you want to spend the rest of your life drinking soup thru a straw, then feel free to do as many katas as your heart desires.

no martial arts is only as effective as the user is. The problem with so many martial arts now, especially the classical ones, is that they are still using 1000 year old training techniques. In a world with guns and cars, the drunken monkey technique will only get you maimed.

But if you want to spend the rest of your life drinking soup thru a straw, then feel free to do as many katas as your heart desires.

628131[/snapback]

I agree.But i am not only talking about martial arts.I m talking about skills in general.Better improving yourself than improving your gun.A bazooka won t help you if you hold it the wrong way.You said martial arts are only as effective as the user.Right.But let s assume you only have one year for training and you have to choose between 2 skills: martial arts and shooting.Would you take martial arts or shooting?Or both?

The greatest sharpshooter is helpless without a gun.A martial artist doesn t need any tools other than his body.Of course you could train both.But i guess you agree that you don t have to be a sharpshooter to shoot a simple burglar.

Edited by Snake_6024

Indeed. tis true and wise.

But...

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

Indeed. tis true and wise.

But...

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

628201[/snapback]

Because we are human.As long as there are differences between humans there will be conflicts.