Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The horse of troy

marduk

what was the horse of troy  

44 members have voted

1. 1. what was the horse of troy

• a wooden animal with troops (+ toilet facilities) inside
    • an analogy
    • an annunaki armoured personnel carrier
    • a lie written by the winners of the battle
    • a plot piece in a literary story
    • you don't care

hmmm quite possible, but as you said your memory is hazy. I know for a fact that Thetis, disguised as a sea serpent frightened the Achean's, till one realised who she was, but this could have been at another time, probably during Achilles' funeral etc. They could well be just two genuine sea serpents.

You are probably right on the idea that these were other sea serpents that came at a different time, not with Thetis. I have not read the Illiad. My knowledge is mostly that concerning the Odyssey, Greek mythology and tragedy, and unforunately some stuff about Greek pots...Im pretty sure you are right on this one original.gif

Edited by Mr Ed

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Ed

• marduk

• The Roswell Man

• Lady

hmmmm well I'll take your origins of Poseidon into consideration then, since it sounds like it could well be true, but I won't consider it concrete yet...

Good point there about the gods being us. One of the reasons for the downfall of the Greek god is that people realised they were far from perfect. Many of the male gods raped mortal women, nymphs, niads etc. They also squabbled amongst themselves. Some Greek's saw that gods would not behave like this, part of the reason for their abandonment.

628575[/snapback]

Gods serve a purpose in any growing society

they give you something to aim for

once you've surpassed the gods though it just holds you back

take a look outside your window and you'll see that in action right now

I don't quite know what you mean, but if you are saying the Greek's realised that they were equal or better than their gods morally, and this was part of the reason for growing disbelief in them, then I agree with you. The Greeks actually believed their gods to be ammoral as well, how odd.

I don't quite know what you mean, but if you are saying the Greek's realised that they were equal or better than their gods morally, and this was part of the reason for growing disbelief in them, then I agree with you. The Greeks actually believed their gods to be ammoral as well, how odd.

628598[/snapback]

clash of the titans was a good movie

hehehe

when i was 11

Edited by marduk

what????

Im going now anyway...read your stuff tomorrow, bye.

Edited by Mr Ed

The war on Troy was a made up story by Homeros, and the passage with the horse was brought in by someone else, not by Homeros.

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts, or wearing togas.

Actually there is suffiecient evidence to suggest that there was a city named Troy and that the Achean's did destroy it. The remains of Troy were found several years ago and from what I remember in the media, it is a reasonable posibility that there was a Greek war there.

I'm getting confused here blush.gif

So the Annunaki gave Poseidon a Trident Missile which he used to blow up Troy, and he then got shipwrecked and became a famous fisherman called the Pope?

Is that right? unsure.gifhmm.gifinnocent.gif

Actually there is suffiecient evidence to suggest that there was a city named Troy and that the Achean's did destroy it. The remains of Troy were found several years ago and from what I remember in the media, it is a reasonable posibility that there was a Greek war there.

629451[/snapback]

Damn...where do you people read all that stuff??? Amazing you know so much about Illiada and Odyssey....

Anyhow, although it is definately a big literature piece, it's still only a "bedtime story". The conflict between the Trojans and the greeks of the time was true but don't imagine any great war, in scale. Just some greek imperialists trying to enslave richer lands (story of the world...).

To answer the question at hand, the horse of Troy is probably a product of Homer's vivid imagination and nothing more. Good thinkin of him though....

Trojan Horse=product of Vergil's imagination, actually.

There also have been discoveries made that suggest that the city of Troy did exist, yes...there were actually a number of cities built on top of each other, and one of these layers shows evidence of being razed to the ground.

The Aeneid, which contains the story of the Trojan Horse, was written by Vergil for a friend of his...who happened to be the Roman Emperor Augustus. Augustus wanted a piece of literature written to confirm Roman beliefs that Romans, particularly the Julian family(of which he was a part) were descended from gods. The Aeneid details the adventures of Aeneas, the son of Venus, and the surviving Trojans as they search for a new homeland, which they find in Italy.

The evidence does point to a Trojan War having occurred, though the specific details included within these works of literature(The Iliad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid) are almost definitely fiction.

Edited by OlDrippy34

I'm getting confused here  blush.gif

So the Annunaki gave Poseidon a Trident Missile which he used to blow up Troy, and he then got shipwrecked and became a famous fisherman called the Pope?

Is that right?  unsure.gif  hmm.gif  innocent.gif

629489[/snapback]

yeah

but you missed out time travelling plato and concrete pyramids

concrete pyramids eh? dontgetit.gif

629721[/snapback]

yes, what you do apparently is grind big blocks into stone then mix them up in situ and hey presto concrete blocks made of sand

apparently its much less labour intensive which is the only positive thing about it

w00t.gifw00t.gifno.gifno.gifgrin2.gifthumbsup.gif

user posted image

The legend of the trojan horse dates back at least to the micenean age, when we have the first known depiction of the trojan horse, on VII century pottery. Since the Odyssey is a epical poem, I don't see the point in trying to demonstrate the actual existence of the trojan horse. It is however possible it actually existed, although it is more likely to think to the trojan horse as to a fictional feature, inserted by Homer in his poems to underline Ulysses' cleverness.

user posted image

The legend of the trojan horse dates back at least to the micenean age, when we have the first known depiction of the trojan horse, on VII century pottery. Since the Odyssey is a epical poem, I don't see the point in trying to demonstrate the actual existence of the trojan horse. It is however possible it actually existed, although it is more likely to think to the trojan horse as to a fictional feature, inserted by Homer in his poems to underline Ulysses' cleverness.

629735[/snapback]

sounds very similar to the form of execution reserved by the celts for condemned criminals and prisoners of war.

they put them inside colossal wicker figures and burned them alive.

considering the celtic cultures affinity for horses is it surprising to find out that some of the wicker figures were dragons

now thats capital punishment.

Ulysses was Odyseuss' Roman name, dont create confusion! hmmmm 7th century pottery depictied the trojan horse? Which civilisation made that then? Because it wasn't the Greeks, an earlier one?

The Greeks didn't have mythology on pottery until the 6th century- ish.

I think anyway.

Edited by Mr Ed

myceneans. The first mythological depictions on pottery date to the XII century BC.

Ah thanks, thought it would be someone like them, as the Greeks were still using geometric patterns prodominantly up until the 6th Century BC (ish)

Don't forget where the term "beware of greeks bearing gifts" comes from

thinking further, didn't they also invent Jesus.

w00t.gif  w00t.gif

628439[/snapback]

what's up with dogging on Jesus thing.I'm a catholic... but i respect all religions in the same manner. what do you belive in?

Hey don't start a religious argument up please. This is a thread about the alleged Trojan Horse, not Jesus etc...

Don't forget where the term "beware of greeks bearing gifts" comes from

thinking further, didn't they also invent Jesus.

w00t.gif  w00t.gif

628439[/snapback]

what's up with dogging on Jesus thing.I'm a catholic... but i respect all religions in the same manner. what do you belive in?

629985[/snapback]

i thought i was dogging the greeks but only because it was on topic

Jesus has a greek name

see

w00t.gif