Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Air Force seeks approval for Space Weapons

UM-Bot

news icon rThe Air Force, saying it must secure space to protect the nation from attack, is seeking President Bush's approval of a national-security directive that could move the United States closer to fielding offensive and defensive space weapons, according to White House and Air Force officials.

The proposed change would be a substantial shift in American policy. It would almost certainly be opposed by many American allies and potential enemies, who have said it may create an arms race in space.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: New York Times

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stixxman

• Dr. Strangehug

• ROGER

• STIX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"With little public debate, the Pentagon has already spent billions of dollars developing space weapons and preparing plans to deploy them."

so they obviously are planning to do it, and they will, regardless of public opinion... I mean, you dont want to be seen as unpatriotic now do you?

Might I add that American logic is flawed, They say that space supperiority is freedom from attack, but also freedom to attack, Shouldnt every nation have a freedom from attack? should this not be a right? why is the US so arrogant to believe they deserve some right to have a freedom from attack any more than any other country?

No country should have a right to attack, this is stupid and we are learning nothing from our past, this will only create problems and when the US fires its lasers the only retalliation its enemies will have are biological and nuclear weapons... I dont see this going anywhere but wrong.

Edited by STIX

Hmm, Weapons for defense purposes?

Can lazers (or whatever they shoot) go through the atmosphere?

Also, What if they are setting up for something a little more..far off?

Putting weapons in space is just one more bonehead move by that simpleton in office. Does this guy live in a haze or what? This won't provoke their enemies? Space should be nationality free, it shlould be for all humanity, and should not be dominated by a paranoid culture that goes to war at the drop of a hat. gunsmilie.gifgunsmilie.gifgunsmilie.gif

biblecode, the bible code said we will have war in space, and have lasers! looks liek the bible code is coming more true.

I think its a great idea......the country that usually wins the war is the country that can kill the other guy without getting his guys killed BETTER than everybody else........I'd rather see us killing "insurgents" from space with no loss of American life than soldiers getting killed.....and just because we'll have this technology doesn't mean we're evil or anything Stix.......America has always been at the forefront of military technology and its uses devil.gif Face it......the majority of us are a war-people here in the U.S.(especially me and the rest of the Texans)

Stixxman- Who cares if it p***es other countries off.........I like the fact that our president makes decisions for America.....not the leaders of OTHER countries.

If push comes to shove, and they get a bee in their bonnet, we could always shoot them with lasers and missiles/bombs from SPACE.....HAHAHAHAHA

You are right to a point(hey I'm a military brat, okay) but you can only make so many enemies before you end up in the minority and become the vanquished instead of the victor.

On this topic I find myself in the minority. And it causes me try to explain my( our) point of view. For thoughs who don't know me I am Ex- Air Force, in my 50's, and a practicing believer in None violence. But I was a member of the "Strategic Air Command" and our Motto was "Peace Through Strength". During the Cold war years by showing other Hostile Countrys that if they attack us, We will strike back. To most of you people that is a given, and from your posts would do no less your selves. In order to make this position have meaning we must have the weapons and strength to do follow up on any threat that presents it self.

Most of the American population only want to work, live well, and raise our children in a safe world. But then we watch the News and see Iran, North Korea, and others making possible weapons to use against us or or Friends. Other cultures belittle us,spit at us, call us devil's and Burn our Flag. Are we to assume they will not harm us. We cant take that chance.

Anyway, I believe that we will need these weapons in the sky. And hope and pry to my God, we will never have to use them.

Ok yell at me, I am used to it. Roger. unsure.gif

Edited by ROGER

No country that has any threatening amount of power will delcare war on the USA or China.

However, I think that maybe the weapons, for a defensive purpose would be acceptable. If they could short out missles then that can only save lives. Putting weapons up there would start a space arms race though, surely the Americans realise that the Chinese will do the same.

Yes I know if we have weapons, everyone will want weapons. Thus is the nature of Man. Look back through History and see that any culture that had a peaceful coexistence with nature and themselves, was usually taken over or eliminated by a more hostile or militant society. And it's not just U.S. history. Europe has been at it since before written records. And now in 2005 tell us they are the civilized people. but only a few years back they to walked in fields of blood.

" Go a head and Hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend" "Do it in the name of Heaven, You can justify it in the end." (Coven)

ah, if they kill us thats wrong, if we strike back, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think its a great idea......the country that usually wins the war is the country that can kill the other guy without getting his guys killed BETTER than everybody else........I'd rather see us killing "insurgents" from space with no loss of American life than soldiers getting killed.....and just because we'll have this technology doesn't mean we're evil or anything Stix.......America has always been at the forefront of military technology and its uses  devil.gif  Face it......the majority of us are a war-people here in the U.S.(especially me and the rest of the Texans)

Stixxman- Who cares if it p***es other countries off.........I like the fact that our president makes decisions for America.....not the leaders of OTHER countries. 

If push comes to shove, and they get a bee in their bonnet, we could always shoot them with lasers and missiles/bombs from SPACE.....HAHAHAHAHA

629810[/snapback]

You are kidding right? I highly doubt if they intend on using a high powered and high priced laser to pick off terrorists as they walk down the street.

I have to agree with ROGER, these weapons are probably more akin to the missiles of the cold war era, where you waved them around in front of the enemies nose just to let him know you have them.

Edited by Shaftsbury

And I agree too, with the cavite that it is not a good idea to wave affluence under the noses of the have nots. If recent history has taught us anything its that you do not need to be at war with someone to have damage and casualties. A country can be struck without provocation by unknown enemies at any time. what I'm talking about is decreasing the target profile a little. Go black with this sort of stuff, this is the kind of stuff that should be kept from the general public. It should not be tabled in front of the government so it becomes public info right away. Keep space weapons platforms on the downlow and you reduce the chance of making yourself a target for other nations paranoia.

I have always been a proponent of the saying "you never really need a gun until you REALLY need a gun, and by then its to late". Its kind of a motto with me so I understand what it is you are saying(Roger), I just think it should be more under the table thats all. thumbsup.gif

The US thinks they are so perfect, mabye this is the problem. The public will support anything that supports capitalism, but what if there is something wrong with capitalism?

Why would anyone hate you if you are perfect? Jealousy? mabye.

The US is always at war, and is always killing someone for their own personal gains, capitalism is all about the corporation and nothing is ever left for the little guy. War is a money making machine, and if there was no money involved in war then why would there even be war? Its stupid to assume that an arms build up is a good thing because it just allows the benefactor to benifit... WAR IS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND POWER, its useless and I for one hate it.

This weaponization of space will only expand the fronteir of war, fuelling new industries and new corporations making more money for the people who will benifit from it and taking money from the people who need it the most.

you want to know what the real crisis in the world is? poverty, hunger and energy, why dont we start spending these billions of dollars on something useful and save some people who need saving.

You might have just answered your own question.

There's not enough $$$ in saving the world.

I think there would be if we could actually work together.

Wasn't there already a space weapon during the Reagan administration? I remember something about a laser in space that would shoot down nuclear missiles launched against the US. I remember it being called 'Star Wars'. Does anyone have information on this?

[edit] Here's a link on this Strategic Defense Initiative that was nicknamed Star Wars.

Here, original.gif

Edited by riotboy555

Laser based weapons are still a might bit impractical. The best space based weapon is a satellite holding tungsten rods anywhere from 20 feet long and a foot wide to something as small as 6 feeet long and 6 inches wide. They'll be essentially sattelite guided missles with out any kind of warhead.

snipped from another web site;

"Colloquially called "Rods from God," this weapon would consist of orbiting platforms stocked with tungsten rods perhaps 20 feet long and one foot in diameter that could be satellite-guided to targets anywhere on Earth within minutes. Accurate within about 25 feet, they would strike at speeds upwards of 12,000 feet per second, enough to destroy even hardened bunkers several stories underground.

No explosives would be needed. The speed and weight of the rods would lend them all the force they need.

This principle was applied in Iraq to destroy tanks that Saddam's forces shielded near mosques, schools or hospitals. U.S. aviators used concrete practice bombs."

Space weapons are a threat mainly to ballistic missiles and satellites, not ground targets. Lasers and particle beams don't do well within the atmosphere. I guess it might be possible to put a space-based missile battery up there but we can hit pretty much anywhere on the planet now with cruise missiles and ICBM's.

It might not be cost-effective now, but in the long run we will need an armed presence in space. It's inevitable.

Well theres nothing like governments spending billions upon billions of dollars on weapons!

thumbsup.gif

Space defence is good as it can protect earth from any stone dropping from the space to earth.

Why can't u think of better things rather then Wars.I strongly encourage to have space defence.It can either defence the country or the earth from any strike from space. thumbsup.giftongue.giftongue.gif

But the only thing i afraid is whether it can be built to be total safety without any error.Or else the weapon will be shooting any where.Then it will be a thread to the world. tongue.gif

If the U.S. doesn't get on the ball and do it first.....before we know it China or some other country will have weapons up there and then the balance of power that exists in the world in our(america) favor will tip away from us......and that won't be good at all. Do you want to see American power and influence subside while the power and influence of China increases? Thats what will happen if they get that kind of edge on us........I mean.....Canada isn't going to step up to the plate and defend the western world from China now is it...... laugh.gif Sorry Stix and Stixman......I couldn't help but take a jab at you peace-loving Canadians who have dwelt for so long in the shadow of protection placed upon you by your great neighbor, The Super-Powerful and Kick Ass United States of America.....

post-18173-1116568810_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr. Strangehug

By god, I love being a red-blooded American from Texas devil.gif .......makes everyday an adventure..... thumbsup.gif