Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Air Force seeks approval for Space Weapons

UM-Bot

user posted imageuser posted imageThe Air Force, saying it must secure space to protect the nation from attack, is seeking President Bush's approval of a national-security directive that could move the United States closer to fielding offensive and defensive space weapons, according to White House and Air Force officials. The proposed change would be a substantial shift in American policy. It would almost certainly be opposed by many American allies and potential enemies, who have said it may create an arms race in space.A senior administration official said that a new presidential directive would replace a 1996 Clinton administration policy that emphasized a more pacific use of space, including spy satellites' support for military operations, arms control and nonproliferation pacts.Any deployment of space weapons would face financial, technological, political and diplomatic hurdles, although no treaty or law bans Washington from putting weapons in space, barring weapons of mass destruction.A presidential directive is expected within weeks, said the senior administration official, who is involved with space policy and insisted that he not be identified because the directive is still under final review and the White House has not disclosed its details.Air Force officials said yesterday that the directive, which is still in draft form, did not call for militarizing space.

"The focus of the process is not putting weapons in space," said Maj. Karen Finn, an Air Force spokeswoman, who said that the White House, not the Air Force, makes national policy. "The focus is having free access in space." With little public debate, the Pentagon has already spent billions of dollars developing space weapons and preparing plans to deploy them. "We haven't reached the point of strafing and bombing from space," Pete Teets, who stepped down last month as the acting secretary of the Air Force, told a space warfare symposium last year. "Nonetheless, we are thinking about those possibilities."

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: New York Times

629508[/snapback]

You americans; so paranoid! wink2.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stixxman

• Dr. Strangehug

• ROGER

• STIX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mad.gif there's a lot better use for that money, like education and health care, and here is a shocking ohmy.gif idea end poverty and world hunger, maybe us Americans will be just as smart geek.gif as Europeans and stop dying from cancer.

If the U.S. doesn't get on the ball and do it first.....before we know it China or some other country will have weapons up there and then the balance of power that exists in the world in our(america) favor will tip away from us......and that won't be good at all. Do you want to see American power and influence subside while the power and influence of China increases? Thats what will happen if they get that kind of edge on us........I mean.....Canada isn't going to step up to the plate and defend the western world from China now is it...... laugh.gif Sorry Stix and Stixman......I couldn't help but take a jab at you peace-loving Canadians who have dwelt for so long in the shadow of protection placed upon you by your great neighbor, The Super-Powerful and Kick Ass United States of America.....

630960[/snapback]

Your ignorance insults me, why don't you do a bit of research before you start criticizing my country for it's defense history.

FACT: Nearly 66 years ago on September 1st 1939, Germany invaded Poland without warning. By the evening of September 3rd, Britain and France were at war with Germany and within a week, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa had also joined the war. The United States declared itself NEUTRAL!

My countryman were fighting and dying for your freedom years before your "great country" decided to get involved.

Source

FACT: More than 125,000 Canadian Peacekeepers have participated in United Nations (and NATO) peacekeeping duties throughout the world. That is more Peacekeepers than any other country.

Source

Our war record speaks for itself, however there is one difference between the US and Canada. We go to war......We don't provoke it!

And as far as living in the "shadow of protection" it's kind of like living next to the biggest bullseye on earth, which gives me no comfort when I go to sleep at night.

Don't EVER doubt that Canada would try to defend itself and it's allies to the best of our abilities in the event of attack.

See thats why we need to educate Americans instead of wasting money on some space thing that probably wont work.

If the U.S. doesn't get on the ball and do it first.....before we know it China or some other country will have weapons up there and then the balance of power that exists in the world in our(america) favor will tip away from us......and that won't be good at all. Do you want to see American power and influence subside while the power and influence of China increases? Thats what will happen if they get that kind of edge on us........I mean.....Canada isn't going to step up to the plate and defend the western world from China now is it...... laugh.gif Sorry Stix and Stixman......I couldn't help but take a jab at you peace-loving Canadians who have dwelt for so long in the shadow of protection placed upon you by your great neighbor, The Super-Powerful and Kick Ass United States of America.....

630960[/snapback]

read your history the only ass kicking going between our two countries was back when we kicked your arses in the 1800's and made you our B***H, thereby forcing you to defend us for all time, teehee justkiddin.(but we did put the hurt on ya) and I don't fundamentally disagree with what you are saying I just think it should be a secret thats all. thumbsup.gifw00t.gif

P.S. way to go Shaftsbury, hammer to the top of the nail.

Again a brainwashed American fails to understand the sanctity of life.

That was specifically directed at Dr. Strangehug, who said it himself, but in different words, he is a typical red blooded american from texas, cares for no one outside of his little realm of existance.

I HATE people who would kill another person for any reason besides preventing harm.

mabye not you in particular, but the people who controll your country would and you seem to agree with it.

The creation of weapons does no good in the "WORLD", yes, the world, Canadians dont seem to be so selfish as to only think of ourselves. We dont create weapons for our own benifit in order to instill fear into the competition. We promote peace, I am offended to read that Dr. Strangehug seems to think that canadians are freeloaders**... well guess what, the cold war is OVER, so move on and embrace the 21st century as it is here, peace is inevitable...weather it be by choice or not, the world will be at peace in the future. (aka we will either decide to co-exist peacefully or we will destroy ourselves)

I dont see any other solution to the worldwide epidemic of death which has controlled our planet for so long.

Am I the only one who sees something dramatically wrong with the world? it seems that arrogance is contagious amongst capitalist fools.

Im sorry for telling it like I see it, but thats how I see it, and if it was different then why are you at war all the time?

do that many people hate you for no reason?

** Whats with the softwood lumber tarrifs? or the ban on canadian beef? I think your country is attempting to give its own corporations an advantage in the marketplace in order to boost its dwindling economy.

ALSO; I read an article about the US military dumping massive ammounts of toxic waste into Lake Huron, a Lake which we share!! like damn, you b******* have to pollute everything hey? no wonder you never ratified the kyoto accord because then you wouldnt be able to support your war efforts...

Im genuinley unimpressed with your civilization. (too much civ 3)

Edited by STIX

I think its a great idea......the country that usually wins the war is the country that can kill the other guy without getting his guys killed BETTER than everybody else........I'd rather see us killing "insurgents" from space with no loss of American life than soldiers getting killed.....and just because we'll have this technology doesn't mean we're evil or anything Stix.......America has always been at the forefront of military technology and its uses  devil.gif  Face it......the majority of us are a war-people here in the U.S.(especially me and the rest of the Texans)

Stixxman- Who cares if it p***es other countries off.........I like the fact that our president makes decisions for America.....not the leaders of OTHER countries. 

If push comes to shove, and they get a bee in their bonnet, we could always shoot them with lasers and missiles/bombs from SPACE.....HAHAHAHAHA

629810[/snapback]

AMEN.

Again a brainwashed American fails to understand the sanctity of life.

That was specifically directed at Dr. Strangehug, who said it himself, but in different words, he is a typical red blooded american from texas, cares for no one outside of his little realm of existance.

I HATE people who would kill another person for any reason besides preventing harm.

mabye not you in particular, but the people who controll your country would and you seem to agree with it.

The creation of weapons does no good in the "WORLD", yes, the world, Canadians dont seem to be so selfish as to only think of ourselves. We dont create weapons for our own benifit in order to instill fear into the competition. We promote peace, I am offended to read that Dr. Strangehug seems to think that canadians are freeloaders**... well guess what, the cold war is OVER, so move on and embrace the 21st century as it is here, peace is inevitable...weather it be by choice or not, the world will be at peace in the future. (aka we will either decide to co-exist peacefully or we will destroy ourselves)

I dont see any other solution to the worldwide epidemic of death which has controlled our planet for so long.

Am I the only one who sees something dramatically wrong with the world? it seems that arrogance is contagious amongst capitalist fools.

Im sorry for telling it like I see it, but thats how I see it, and if it was different then why are you at war all the time?

do that many people hate you for no reason?

** Whats with the softwood lumber tarrifs? or the ban on canadian beef? I think your country is attempting to give its own corporations an advantage in the marketplace in order to boost its dwindling economy.

ALSO; I read an article about the US military dumping massive ammounts of toxic waste into Lake Huron, a Lake which we share!! like damn, you b******* have to pollute everything hey? no wonder you never ratified the kyoto accord because then you wouldnt be able to support your war efforts...

Im genuinley unimpressed with your civilization. (too much civ 3)

632178[/snapback]

Spoken like a true canadian.

You fail to realize that if anyone tried to invade you for any reason, your screwed without American help also.

Trouble is, no one would ever want Canada.

Canadas army is pretty much america.

Say whatever the hell you want, doesnt change the fact that america isnt going to use weapons for no reason.

If we were as evil as everyone tries to make us out to be, we would have just overrun everyone by now. Claimed Iraq as america and so on. Keep trying to put a mean face on america. Its very amusing.

Jelousy is such an ugly thing.

Wasnt cracking on all canadians however. I have 2 friends who live in the winnipeg area

who agree with america much more than Canada.

Who are also trying to leave Canada to become U.S. citizens.

Wasnt cracking on all canadians however. I have 2 friends who live in the winnipeg area

632229[/snapback]

Yeah we know we've been trying to deport those two idiots for years they are dragging down the entire I.Q. level of the country(have someone explain the bell curve to you). It is a well known fact everywhere, other than the USA apperently, that the Canadian armed forces are some of the best trained soldiers in the world. And check your facts about the value of Canada, there is now in Canada some of the richest deposits of valuable natural resources in the world, not to mention the biggest supply of fresh "unpolluted" water. And there is no way in hell I would ever be jelous of a semi literate braggart who can't keep up with the news not spoon fed to them for their own good, now that would be ugly. Her's a tip, put down the propoganda and pick up a book you are not obligated too, now brace yourself. "Prepare to learn!"....."Learn" now you are on the way to not embarassing in front of educated people. Take care now

I dont like some of this stuff I am reading!

Every country has it's flaws guys.

New zealand - high suicide rate (must be something in the water)

America - meddle in other people's business and accidentally blow up their own choppers.

Canada - has a low employment rate, and too many french.

Poland - needs to thank all those people that helped her in the war by showering them with gifts and polish food.

And so, in conclusion, nobody is better than anybody else. We're all one; an interconnected whole.

NEW ZEALAND 4 LIFE

I dont like some of this stuff I am reading!

Every country has it's flaws guys.

New zealand - high suicide rate (must be something in the water)

America - meddle in other people's business and accidentally blow up their own choppers.

Canada - has a low employment rate, and too many french.

Poland - needs to thank all those people that helped her in the war by showering them with gifts and polish food.

632499[/snapback]

I agree.

632229[/snapback]

Yeah we know we've been trying to deport those two idiots for years they are dragging down the entire I.Q. level of the country(have someone explain the bell curve to you). It is a well known fact everywhere, other than the USA apperently, that the Canadian armed forces are some of the best trained soldiers in the world. And check your facts about the value of Canada, there is now in Canada some of the richest deposits of valuable natural resources in the world, not to mention the biggest supply of fresh "unpolluted" water. And there is no way in hell I would ever be jelous of a semi literate braggart who can't keep up with the news not spoon fed to them for their own good, now that would be ugly. Her's a tip, put down the propoganda and pick up a book you are not obligated too, now brace yourself. "Prepare to learn!"....."Learn" now you are on the way to not embarassing in front of educated people. Take care now

632268[/snapback]

Ouch. That sure did hurt and taught me so much. Wasnt just the same crap said again in different context at all.

Of course they are trained well but the tech is so far behind and its such a small force it makes no difference really.

As for calling the two guys wanting to leave the place idiots, that really shows alot of maturity. In fact it lowered my I.Q. just for reading it.

Take care now.

Are all Canadians like ya'll?I sure hope not.....god help you if they are because if something ever happened to the U.S. the whole of Canada would be SOL....no one to protect you, no one too buy your stuff....no one too keep your women warm....nobody for ya'll too blame the sad part that Canada plays in geopolitics.......I mean...the end of the U.S. would be armageddon in Canada, huh?......Jeez........I mean...everyone knows Canda isn't even a real country anyways.......just a renegade territory of the United States....*lol* We just don't give a sh** enough to bring ya into the fold.....who'd want to with that kind of 1960's flower-child attitude....... grin2.gif

mellow.gif All joking aside(previous paragraph), I really think that maybe America DOES have a bit of an attitude when it comes to other countries telling it how bad it is and how unsophisticated and barbaric it is...I mean.....what really makes us great is we took everyones tired and poor, everyones hopeless and uneducated, everyones persecuted and unwanted........and made the most powerful country that has strode the earth....ever....How would that make me feel if I was Canadian.....hell.......I'd make fun of America...maybe....mostly I think I'd sit around and wish I was American.... thumbsup.gif

I'm not canadian, but what you just said was a bunch of arrogant lies. I'd never wish I was american! Your country is dangerous to live in, its fat, and is run by a grey-haired ape who can't even talk properly!

Whats more, your military tactics suck! I was priveleged enough to have three years in the NZNS. While I was there, a bunch of American troops shot down a chopper in the distance. turns out it was an american one!

UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- A scientists' group on Thursday warned the United States against weaponizing space, saying the move would be prohibitively expensive and could set off a new arms race.

The Union of Concerned Scientists, a watchdog group that opposes weapons in space, said the United Nations should consider drafting a treaty that would prohibit interfering with unarmed satellites, taking away any justification for putting weapons in space to protect them.

SOURCE

grin2.gif Gentlemen please remember that Dr. Strange Hug is from Texas. A poor misguided Redneck who suffers from limited genetic availability. And is under the assumption that our president is a Great leader. Of course he's from Texas also wich explains the trouble our country is in right now. Don't dislike Americans. Help us get some better leaders. Please?

I am an American a Native American (Blackfeet)!

There is nothing wrong with me......Jesus....I'm just really SICK and TIRED of Americans having to apologize for being who they are.......America is a big, powerful country who uses its power to further its aims in the world....just like any country would do....I'm in college...a physics major....so don't tell me I'm suffering from poor genetic material....my mother is a professor of architecture at Texas A&M University....and my dad is a judge.........

I did my time in the military, I was in the coast guard. I consider myself a patriot.

What is wrong with liking the leader of your country who was VOTED for by the MAJORITY of YOUR PEOPLE! It's called a democracy for christ-sakes folks........and it just so happens.....that in a cultural enviroment such as the WORLD where countries compete economically and militarily that their are winners and losers........I think all this crap that is constantly thrown at the U.S. is losers striking back at a country the only way they can. Hell, all ya'll Canadians got really mad and defensive when I started in on your country, AFTER you had just ridiculed mine....what do u expect me to do?

Here ya'll are talking about how bad you think the U.S. is and I'm defending it.....whats wrong with that?

And I tell you what..Canada and the U.S. have to different cultures when it comes to war......

check this out....it hits the nail right on the head.

May 06, 2002

Canadian Sniper Offered Medal by U.S., Court-martial by Canada

The United States military wants to give Master Cpl. Arron Perry a Bronze Star.

The Canadian military wants him court-martialed.

The Americans want to give him a bronze star along with four other Canadian snipers, for their role in several exceedingly dangerous missions where they operated with distinction, exposing themselves to live fire to achieve objectives, and saving a number of American soldiers. Among their achievements is the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat history, at 2430 meters (about a mile and a half), breaking the previous record held by legendary sniper Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam.

The Canadians want to court-martial him because a Chaplain overheard him say, "**** Him" while pointing in the general direction of the Chaplain after a stress debriefing.

I was going to make a pithy comment about all this, but words fail me. All I know is, if I run into Master Cpl. Perry in one of the local watering holes (he's from my neighborhood), I'm going to buy him a beer or two.

More details: Bad soldier, or war hero?

Source

Here are a few replies to that story...CANADIAN replies....

It is too bad our Canadian Goverment is so quick too pass judgement on our soldiers that have too do the dirty work for them!They train us and send us into these situations that are not normal living and then try to burn you when you succeed!The Canadian Goverment is too busy trying to keep there Military image so clean but i think they should woory about there image first like our Foriegn Minister stating a fact and then our Prime Minister has to correct him the next day ,what a joke

Posted by: Beast on February 13, 2003 02:42 PM

What sort of sh!t filters do we use to fill out our military... like others I was looking up the 'longest shot'... not expecting to find one more story of our men and women being desserted - hung out to dry - serving (in forest green in desert dunes or saying 'bang bang' in training to save money for blanks...) in Somalia where 'our' Generals pass responsibility down the line blaming everyone but themselves for their idiocy, thumbing a ride at airports because we can't fly our troops into action - and what do I see? Some Jacque Auf of a chaplain p***ing his bloomers all the way to the Brass because he got 'dissed'. What two-bit "Man of God" wouldn't have turned to the man to help him with his anger or upset. The b@$t@rd is only there for one reason - to HELP soldiers - not F#*K them... if Chappy was looking for the latter

he should be transferring down to Cardinal Law country.

IT WAS DAMN FINE WORK Cpl Arron Perry. Congratulations and THANK YOU.

Rick Donaldson

Posted by: Rick Doanldson on April 8, 2003 11:15 PM

Oh....and one American post I liked... thumbsup.gif

Wow. I'm truly impressed at the distance of that shot, and yet at the same time, I'm reviled by the closedmindedness of the Chaplain. War is hell, literally speaking. If a man can't blow off some steam once in a while, he's going to lose his composure. Please reconsider this travesty of court-martialing this fine Canadian.

Oh, by the way, Master Cpl. Arron Perry, the American Army is ALWAYS looking for a few good men. Consider a position in the best armed forces in the world, if yours decides that a spoken word might tarnish the ears of a holy man and the reputation of Canada.

Posted by: Colin Battershell on July 29, 2003 11:02 PM

Seems to me like Canadians are just as guilty of having problems with their OWN COUNTRY.....jeezus......Can it be true.....that other countries are just as guilty of being faulty sometimes........maybe its just because everyone WANTS the USA to fail so they pay more attention to what goes on here.....

blush.gif OK.

Goodness. Yall need to back up and respect each other.

poor misguided Redneck who suffers from limited genetic availability

And this is just uncalled for. Why do people see Rednecks as ignorant? I am a redneck and i think i turned out ok. I mean i am not the smartest person in the world, but i have my moments.

And what the hell is all the Canada this America that? Canada and America are fine nations.

Canada's military is small, but highly trained. Well there American counter parts have a huge military. That's about it. Isn't too much more to say there is it?

Now the the weapons in space. I don't want to see weapons in space, but i do want to see more money for space exploration.

yeah, the bible code talked about laser defense platforms in space.I think humanity needs to turn their attentions to ET's and work to defend ourselves from extraterrestrial hostiles. now all the need to do is

-figure out how to make artificial gravity

-how to travel at speeds faster than light

-and different sorts of space weapons

figure these 3 things out and you will have the Navy of the future where the sea is Space! grin2.gif