Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Military designing Battle Suits

Dr. Strangehug

I think either

a. they make a completely new unit or units on regimental,battalion,or even divison scale to use these suits. reason bieng that this equipment costs a s***load of money and if you give these to every trooper, there is a higher risk of the enemy getting hold of one of these.

b. make a new job for the regular infantry, the job would simply be to use these suits in combat for support,special ops,etc...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoa182

• thefounder

• PadawanOsswe

• Dr. Strangehug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with you absolutely.

They will be too expensive to hand out to everyone or to be used on a huge scale......they will probably support troops and work in teams......I still think they will be ultra-lethal though. thumbsup.gif

definatly

To shield these soldiers from:

heat- You could use FirePaste, shown on AmericanAntigravity.com

radiation- You could have radiation suits overtop of the suit (or underneath)

bullets- You could use liquid armor composed of carbon fiber nanotubes.

You could also have the soldier able to lift many pounds more with those enhancing suits and then, just to top it off, you could have them equiped with those new plasma guns that fire a laser which creates a burst of plasma when it hits a person (paralyzing or killing the person; wonderful way to collect hostages to trade for money and goods)

thats quite a suit. But it will probaly be to expensive to equip every troop with.

thats quite a suit. But it will probaly be to expensive to equip every troop with.

664044[/snapback]

Ehh, I think it will be just as affordable as a quality diving suit in the near future. It would probably save the army money because they wouldn't need to purchase as much kevlar. If it is expensive, the cost will gradually go down as more people purchase the suits, the army could make it something that the individual soldiers purchase with their own money (If they want it)..

To shield these soldiers from:

heat- You could use FirePaste, shown on AmericanAntigravity.com

radiation- You could have radiation suits overtop of the suit (or underneath)

bullets- You could use liquid armor composed of carbon fiber nanotubes.

You could also have the soldier able to lift many pounds more with those enhancing suits and then, just to top it off, you could have them equiped with those new plasma guns that fire a laser which creates a burst of plasma when it hits a person (paralyzing or killing the person; wonderful way to collect hostages to trade for money and goods)

664033[/snapback]

I believe that CNT's are able to withstand upto 2800 degrees celcius and there are plenty of heat protection coatings now available using Nanoparticles.

Radiation protection...

Demron has created Radiation Shielding Garment. The material protects against ionizing/nuclear radiation such as Beta and Alpha and it also protects against X-ray and Gamma Emissions. DemronTM suits are constructed from a unique nanotechnology.

Also here is some info on CNT in radiation protection

CNT, nanotube, radiation

Abstract:

We investigated the feasibility of using carbon nanotube (CNT) technology for applications in extreme radiation environments that can be encountered in NASA missions. Total ionizing dose (TID) experiments, carried out to 10 Mrad doses, revealed high radiation immunity of the CNT technology. The failure mechanisms were identified and attributed to the CMOS elements and not to the CNT technology itself. With known ''hard-by-design'' methods, CNT technology can be successfully used to >10 Mrad TID. http://www.nsti.org/Nanotech2005/showabstract.html?absno=740

Edited by whoa182

664044[/snapback]

Ehh, I think it will be just as affordable as a quality diving suit in the near future. It would probably save the army money because they wouldn't need to purchase as much kevlar. If it is expensive, the cost will gradually go down as more people purchase the suits, the army could make it something that the individual soldiers purchase with their own money (If they want it)..

664272[/snapback]

I believe thats it's already been stated that all law enforcment and military will have these new protection.

Also you are right that the more demand and bigger the production.. the less they will cost.

I've been going through this discussion most of the morning and find it fascinating! I would like to add one bit of insight though. The United States military in being forced to learn to fight wars with less personnel. The news is presently focusing on how recruiting goals are not being met but the military was considering this problem long before the Iraq War.

The Navy is currently heavily restructuring to be able to do more with smaller crews and less shore support. This advanced body armor would be of great benefit to marine units. It would be a great force multiplier in itself but coupled with some of the items coming into service now it could transform warfare.

My personal interests tend to lean towards the large fighting vehicles (aircraft, ships, AFVs and AIFVs) but its my opinion the infantryman will never go away. I have two nephews currently serving with the Corp in Iraq and I only wished we could already give this sort of protection to them.

I have to agree with you, the infantry will always be needed and thankfully there work will become safer with the advanced hardware... With these futuristic suits, I bet a single soldier could easily do the job of five or more people.

Something else about these suits that I don't believe has been touched on is the civilian use of this technology.......firefighters and rescue personel would be able to walk into a fire to turn off valves or assist in putting the fire out........the suit could also be used in construction.

Can anyone think of other civilian ways this tech could be used? geek.gif

Check this out....its from DARPA's own website!

Exoskeletons for Human Performance Augmentation (EHPA)

Program Manager: Dr. John Main

Exoskeletons for Human Performance Program Web Site

The overall goal of the Exoskeletons for Human Performance Augmentation (EHPA) Program is to develop devices and machines that will increase the speed, strength, and endurance of soldiers in combat environments. Projects will lead to self-powered, controlled, and wearable exoskeletal devices and/or machines and demonstrations of their utility in military applications. Inclusion of exoskeleton technology into land-based operations could potentially increase the capabilities of the ground-based warfighter and

radically alter the current military doctrine. This technology will extend the mission payload and/or mission range of the soldier and increase the lethality and survivability of ground troops for short-range missions and special operations.

user posted image

Four EHPA projects are conducting research that will lead to the design and build a fully integrated exoskeleton system. Other projects are concerned with the development of power producing devices that could be integrated into a complete augmentation system.

DARPA Website

Its an OFFICIAL goverment project....no bs about that....

awesome is all I can say about this new development in U.S. military hardware. thumbsup.gif

I apologise for all the postings...you would think I could get it all in one post.....I keep finding things that I think would be of interest to the people following this topic though, and I would feel guilty if I did not share the information I have come across....

This is a program that is being researched and developed by DARPA alongside the Exoskeleton development that is focusing more on CHEMICALLY making the soldier a deadly "super-soldier". I found it quite interesting and the ramifications of such a breakthrough startling.......

Peak Soldier Performance

Program Manager: Dr. Brett P. Giroir

Peak Soldier Performance

The vision for the Peak Soldier Performance Program is to develop novel strategies that exploit and control the mechanisms of energy production, metabolism, and utilization during short periods of deployment requiring

unprecedented levels of physical demand. The ultimate goal is to deploy the warfighter at peak physical condition and maintain that level of performance throughout the mission, providing the warfighter with the ability for prolonged activity without the loss of strength, endurance or mental acuity during mission critical periods.

DARPA is exploring four integrated areas of emphasis that together address methods for enhancing soldier performance. These areas of emphasis focus on: (1) optimizing metabolic performance by developing an understanding of how to control substrate availability and remove metabolic waste products; (2) controlling the thermal environment where energy metabolism occurs; (3) regulating the number and efficiency of cells and organelles necessary for energy production; and (4) identifying the cause of fatigue and, thus, short- or long-term performance degradation.

DARPA Source

I ask you this.........who would win mano y mano......the "Halo" soldier or the chemically-enhanced super-soldier........

What is really a scary prospect for America's enemies is what would happen if you had a combination of the two? devil.gif

A mechanically augmented, super-soldier with extremely quick reflexes......a soldier who will not become mentally drained nor fatigued.......if I had to fight one of these fellas I think I'd find a hole to crawl into..... laugh.gif

Edited by Dr. Strangehug