Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Military designing Battle Suits

Dr. Strangehug

wiiiicked

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoa182

• thefounder

• PadawanOsswe

• Dr. Strangehug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heh, after that elevators complete we could build a starship like the voyaguer (with the help of Mark Tomion and his all electric vessel).

Some new materials for armor such as  Carbon Nanotubes can be from 60 - 100 x stronger than pure steel, 1/6th the weight and as theen as a piece of paper.

So I don't think so wink2.gif

635203[/snapback]

I have a piece of that material your talking about, its strong stuff, but the fibers would have to be made in a weaveing pattern like this # in order to stop a bullet, but I dunno how long the carbonfiber would be able to standup against bullets and armour piercing rounds. its a circle, when somebody makes armour, somebody else will come up with a way to defeat the armour. and eventually used armour has to be replaced, recently there was a firefight in Iraq and some insurgents had body armour and THOUSANDS of Armour Piercing rounds given to them by Al-Quada, and our troops dont get issued many armour pierceing rounds, so it was hard to fight the insurgents off in order to destroy the Depo.

that is why troops cant fully rely on armour to keep them safe, what they lack in armour they MUST make up for in

-speed

-manuver

-and cover

these 3 factors are what really makes troops deadly yes.gif

636146[/snapback]

That's my point, there will be probably other weapons to pierce those suits, and if robotics take some huge leap maybe there won't be human soldiers anymore.

There is no way that the bullets of today or even in the near future will be able to deliver the kenetic energy to destroy a carbon nanotube with liquid armor, especially the ones that will be made within five years from now (probably 100X the strength of steel). However, this is only my opinion..

Edited by thefounder

There is no way that the bullets of today or even in the near future will be able to deliver the kenetic energy to destroy a carbon nanotube with liquid armor, especially the ones that will be made within five years from now (probably 100X the strength of steel). However, this is only my opinion..

645230[/snapback]

Well there is no gun that we know of yet, I think the most powerful gun will just probably knock you over if anything. armor pearcing bullets will have no chance of getting through something 100 x stronger than pure steel.

I don t understand it.If it is 100x times stronger than steel,how is the soldier supposed to move?

Its flexible and thinner than a piece of paper and 1/6th the weight of pure steel

If you want lots of info on this kind of stuff ( future warrior system) then you can watch this video here

http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/242/

The 2nd person that talks is more interesting.

Edited by whoa182

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view....anguage=english

Wicked little article and video there for you !

They also go on about spider silk which is

Shirts That Stop Bullets

What if you could wear lightweight armor that kept you warm – and let you phone home? Nanotechnologists have come up with a super strong, flexible fiber that can conduct heat and electricity. It could be made into a modern version of chain mail, the heavy metal mesh worn by medieval knights. If woven from the new fiber, modern chain mail could be light as a cotton shirt, but bulletproof.

read the rest at that link!

The strength also depends on how the thing is made, if its pure carbon nanotbues then it will be much stronger. Obviously they havn't done that but its still a major advance that will save a LOT of lives thumbsup.gif

Edited by whoa182

Its flexible and thinner than a piece of paper and 1/6th the weight of pure steel

645353[/snapback]

Ok I get it now.I think the flexibility will be the main weakness.A bullet may not have enough kinetic energy to rip through the armor but it would certainly go in a big deal(Understandable?).And the more flexible it is, the deeper will the bullet get.It would be like being beaten to death with a giant baseball bat.And I m sure other weaknesses will follow,like many here already said.Usually it is easier to produce a weapon,than a precaution against it.

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view....anguage=english

Wicked little article and video there for you !

They also go on about spider silk which is 

Shirts That Stop Bullets

What if you could wear lightweight armor that kept you warm – and let you phone home? Nanotechnologists have come up with a super strong, flexible fiber that can conduct heat and electricity. It could be made into a modern version of chain mail, the heavy metal mesh worn by medieval knights. If woven from the new fiber, modern chain mail could be light as a cotton shirt, but bulletproof.

read the rest at that link!

The strength also depends on how the thing is made, if its pure carbon nanotbues then it will be much stronger.  Obviously they havn't done that but its still a major advance that will save a LOT of lives  thumbsup.gif

645361[/snapback]

I m not registered.What is the video about?Is it worth registering?

What the link didn't explain was that the maximum length we can grow nano carbontubes is less than a micrometer. Not very promising yet to use as a fiber to weave into cloths.

What the link didn't explain was that the maximum length we can grow nano carbontubes is less than a micrometer. Not very promising yet to use as a fiber to weave into cloths.

646145[/snapback]

No, these fibers will be used in clothes by next year. There has also been a firm contracted to grow the fibers for a space elevator, I believe whoa182 know of what im typing about. We can grow them in far greater lengths then a micrometer.

Yeah, if you look at the date of that article... But we have advanced a lot since then wink2.gif

Ooh.. nanotechnology.. *maybe* the suits will be able to repair themselves too..

^^ Just a giddy hope. w00t.gif

And, you COULD bypass that type of armor.

1. As we think about the technological advances in this armor, yes, we'll be wanting bullets or other projectiles capable of eliminating a target wearing such body armor.

2. In the future, I have a feeling that we'll be relying less on face to face combat. Computers are the way to go original.gif

3. I bet weapons that project pure heat, radiation, gamma rays, yeah, all that ucky stuff will be able to do some damage to the user.

"They also can conduct heat and electricity" -Quoted from that link on nanotubes. Guess what that means, LIGHTNING GUNS! WOOT, Just like UT2004!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a feeling that in not too long we'll have our own REAL LIFE Master Chiefs (Halo).. (Oh, and Johhny, I bet the suits will be BETTER than that in Halo.. the ones in Halo, while extremely awesome, are pretty bulky)

.... lets just hope they isn't a covenant blink.gif

Edited by Maekrix

Ooh.. nanotechnology.. *maybe* the suits will be able to repair themselves too..

^^ Just a giddy hope.  w00t.gif

And, you COULD bypass that type of armor.

1. As we think about the technological advances in this armor, yes, we'll be wanting bullets or other projectiles capable of eliminating a target wearing such body armor.

2. In the future, I have a feeling that we'll be relying less on face to face combat. Computers are the way to go original.gif

3. I bet weapons that project pure heat, radiation, gamma rays, yeah, all that ucky stuff will be able to do some damage to the user.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a feeling that in not too long we'll have our own REAL LIFE Master Chiefs (Halo).. (Oh, and Johhny, I bet the suits will be BETTER than that in Halo.. the ones in Halo, while extremely awesome, are pretty bulky)

.... lets just hope they isn't a covenant  blink.gif

646745[/snapback]

Let s hope there is....It wouldn t be that much fun if those things are used against you.

Ehh.. ^^ good point.. nasty alien b*******

(Just kidding, I'm only joking.. uh oh, I hope the covenant doesn't come to MY house FIRST for saying THAT)...

Move along.. nothing to see.. blink.gif

Ehh.. ^^ good point.. nasty alien b*******

(Just kidding, I'm only joking.. uh oh, I hope the covenant doesn't come to MY house FIRST for saying THAT)...

Move along.. nothing to see.. blink.gif

646759[/snapback]

I think the military should create a Spartan unit to wear and operate these suits, otherwise its to expensive, and too risky to give every trooper these things no.gif , you run the risk of the enemy getting hold of one of these suits, but if just a few troops wear these, a much lesser risk.

I think the military should create a Spartan unit to wear and operate these suits, otherwise its to expensive, and too risky to give every trooper these things , you run the risk of the enemy getting hold of one of these suits, but if just a few troops wear these, a much lesser risk.

With the privatization of war, such elite units will propably be the only thing left of a country s military in the near future.The mega-corporations that can afford such technology will definatly dominate the market.

This Is Not An Encouraging Reply

You say that you are a Government Agent or were that just for fun?

If you say what you say you are, how does one become a Government Agent?

Please reply cool dude.

Some more info to add to this...

Emerging Technologies Form Futuristic Uniform

ORLANDO, Fla. - Dressed in black from head to toe and wearing a helmet that allows barely a glimpse of his face, Staff Sgt. Raul Lopez looked like something out of a science fiction thriller.

Lopez, an infantry Soldier stationed at the Natick Soldier Center in Massachusetts, spent four days in what could be the Army uniform of the future at the 24th Army Science Conference, explaining the technology behind it.

The black fabric of the form-fitting suit would be made through the wonder of nanotechnology, which involves manipulating atoms and molecules to create things at the nanometer scale. That's about 50,000 times smaller than the diameter of a strand of hair. Soldiers wearing the suit would have the ability to blend into any environment, like a chameleon.

The helmet is the main hub of the uniform, where "all of the action happens," Lopez said. A tiny video camera in front provides 360-degree situational awareness. A series of sensors inside give the Soldier three-dimensional audiological hearing and the ability to amplify specific sounds, while lowering the volume of others.

Complete voice translation is also provided, for what the Soldier hears and what he or she says. Night vision sensors, minimized to the size of pencil erasers, are also in the helmet. Maps and other situational awareness information are projected on the inside of the visor, while everything the Soldier sees and hears is sent in real time up to higher headquarters.

"It's all voice activated," Lopez said. "I can tell it to show me where my buddies are, and it projects it on the visor."

Virtual reality technology would also play a part in helping the Soldier navigate an environment by projecting maps on the ground surrounding him or her.

Sensors detect threat, provide treatment

Thermal sensors weaved into the fabric of the uniform control its temperature, based on the Soldier's environment. An on-board respirator, tethered to the Soldier's back, provides a continuous supply of fresh air – eliminating the need for a protective mask. Should the Soldier have the visor up, or the helmet off, and breath in some kind of harmful agent, the uniform sensor will immediately detect it, release tiny embedded capsules to counter it and inject treatment into the Soldier's body.

From the waist down, a skeletal system allows the Soldier to carry two or three times his or her body weight, feeling only the weight of their own body through the technology of an XO muscle, which augments a Soldier's strength.

Wearing the futuristic suit doesn't make Lopez feel like a science fiction superhero, or invincible.

"It's just conceptual right now," he said, smiling.

Liquid armor protection

The uniform might be made out of fabric treated with another technology featured in the conference's exhibit hall, shear thickening fluid. Unofficially referred to by some as liquid body armor, STF is made of equal parts polyethylene glycol – an inert, non-toxic thickening agent used in a variety of common products, like some ice creams – and miniscule glass particles, said Eric Wetzel, who heads the STF project team in the Weapons and Materials Research Directorate of the U.S. Army Research Laboratory.

In a small glass vial, the light blue liquid is easily stirred with a small plastic stick – as long as the stick is moving in slow, easy motion. When sudden, rapid or forceful motion is applied, the liquid instantly hardens, preventing any movement.

"When the movement is slow, the glass particles can flow around each other," Wetzel explained. "But when the movement is fast, the particles bump into each other, preventing any flow of movement."

STF has been applied to regular Kevlar material, Wetzel said. The fabric's texture doesn't change; it looks and feels the same as if it hadn't been treated. Using a test swatch of four layers of untreated Kevlar – the normal thickness of body armor – Wetzel is able to stab an ice pick through the fabric. But when stabbing a treated section of fabric with all the force he can muster, the ice pick dents the fabric but can't penetrate through.

Research is being done into whether STF can be of use to the Army, Wetzel said. If it is, Soldiers may start getting gear treated with it in about two years, he added.

Source; http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,1331...tml?ESRC=dod.nl

633780[/snapback]

Snake_6024

Ok I get it now.I think the flexibility will be the main weakness.A bullet may not have enough kinetic energy to rip through the armor but it would certainly go in a big deal(Understandable?).And the more flexible it is, the deeper will the bullet get.It would be like being beaten to death with a giant baseball bat.And I m sure other weaknesses will follow,like many here already said.Usually it is easier to produce a weapon,than a precaution against it.

I think it works this way: The bullet impacts the loose fabric.....the kinetic energy of the bullets impact causes the fabric to momentarily "stiffen" up....stopping the bullet.....it doesn't go any "deeper".....the force is dissipated throughout the fabric.

As far as the use of these suits and weapons used to counter them.....I think they will be used in conjuction with other types of units...even regular infantrymen....the so called "Spartans" will just augment these forces....or might be used in a type of shock troop of special forces role.......you have to admit that a handful of soldiers able to move extremely quickly and engage enemy forces in urban areas by going through brick walls and jumping over buildings in complete darkness would be an extremely effective weapon. They would also be able to carry more armor and weaponry because of the new strength available.......which means soldiers who are able to engage armored forces and air forces quite easily. If used right......these suits could revolutionize warfare.

Something interesting I found that hasn't been discussed yet is this....

If some miniature J8 jet engines can produce 34 pounds (147 N) of thrust, is it possible that four of them can lift a 120-pound (54 kg) person off the ground and allow him to fly?

- D-Per

At first glance, the answer would be yes, but taking further considerations into account, we have to temper that to a big maybe. Here's the crux of the problem. You are correct in your reasoning that the amount of lift force needed to fly is directly related to weight. So if we were to consider a 75,000 lb (34,000 kg) aircraft flying at 33,000 ft (10,000 m), it would need 75,000 lb of lift to remain flying at that altitude. Any more lift and the plane would climb to a higher altitude, any less and it would descend. But for our "personal flyer" example, we are still on the ground. If we exert exactly 120 lb of lift on our 120 lb pilot, he won't move. Obviously, we need more lift, and conveniently enough, the engines you mention produce 34 lb of thrust each for a total of 136 lb (605 N). Therefore, four of these engines should be able to lift our plucky pilot off the ground.

Yet there are some other very important considerations that we have not accounted for. For example, how much fuel do these engines require and how much does it weigh? What kind of structure is needed to carry the pilot, fuel, and engines and how much does it weigh? We also can't forget a control system allowing the pilot to throttle the engines and control the vehicle's ascent or descent. Also keep in mind that our pilot would need enough excess thrust to be able to climb off the ground at an adequate rate. Once we add up all these items, I suspect that we'd need far more than 136 lb of thrust to do the job.

The idea of a flying powered platform or a personal flyer is nothing new. The first examples were based on a concept developed by Hiller Helicopters, an early pioneer of vertical flight technology during the 1940s and 1950s. The Hiller Flying Platform was developed during the mid-1950s using funds from the Office of Naval Research (ONR). Powered by a vectored-thrust ducted fan, the prototype completed its first untethered free flight on 27 January 1955.

The US Army also contracted Hiller to build two enlarged models for possible reconnaissance and infantry use. All told, a total of six platforms were built, but only two are still known to exist, both in museums.

However, most of us were probably first introduced to the idea of a personal flying machine by our old friend James Bond who used such a device in the classic 1965 film, "Thunderball."

The "jet pack" he wore was indeed based on an actual device, the Bell Aerospace Rocket Belt. The Rocket Belt consisted of two 3 gal (11 L) tanks of hydrogen peroxide that were reacted with a silver catalyst to produce a high-pressure, high-temperature steam. The steam was released through tubes along the sides of the pack producing 300 lb (1,335 N) of thrust to propel a pilot upwards for short hops. The pack could only operate for 20 to 30 seconds before the gas supply was exhausted.

In more recent years, the personal flyer idea has once again come back into fashion with a return to the original Hiller concept of using ducted fans. Most modern designs look pretty similar to each other and feature twin ducted fans attached to a backpack.

user posted image

The above image illustrates the most well-known design, a prototype vehicle built and tested by Trek Aerospace called the SoloTrek Exo-Skeletor Flying Vehicle (XFV). The craft first flew in December 2001, and the company is hoping to sell the technology to the US military with a civilian model to follow. The XFV was powered by a 350 lb (160 kg) four-cylinder engine running on regular 87-octane gasoline and producing 130 horsepower (97 kW). The company claimed a maximum speed of up to 80 mph (130 km/h), a range of about 150 miles (240 km) on 10.5 gal (40 L) of fuel, and a hover ceiling up to 10,000 ft (3,050 m). The craft was controlled using two hand grips that allowed the user to change the revolutions per minute on the ducted fans individually and tilt the fans to produce forces in different directions. In addition to the low-tech solution of shifting the pilot's weight, these controls made it possible for the craft to turn, spin, roll, climb, and descend. The XFV was also able to hover in a stationary position for up to three hours. Development of this technology continues under DARPA funding.

More information on the evolution of personal jetpacks is also available at Marshall Brain's How Stuff Works.

- answer by Joe Yoon, 8 September 2002

Source

Can you imagine the combination of the new battlesuit AND a jet pack???? Now thats an American Death Machine..... devil.gif Poor Jihadi's.......wouldn't know to pray to Allah or pee in their pants..... yes.gif

I think it works this way: The bullet impacts the loose fabric.....the kinetic energy of the bullets impact causes the fabric to momentarily "stiffen" up....stopping the bullet.....it doesn't go any "deeper".....the force is dissipated throughout the fabric.

As far as the use of these suits and weapons used to counter them.....I think they will be used in conjuction with other types of units...even regular infantrymen....the so called "Spartans" will just augment these forces....or might be used in a type of shock troop of special forces role.......you have to admit that a handful of soldiers able to move extremely quickly and engage enemy forces in urban areas by going through brick walls and jumping over buildings in complete darkness would be an extremely effective weapon. They would also be able to carry more armor and weaponry because of the new strength available.......which means soldiers who are able to engage armored forces and air forces quite easily. If used right......these suits could revolutionize warfare.

Problem=Energy

You need energy to power the suits and unless they are stationed at a power plant they won t have much time until they become immobile,nice-looking statues.

And even if a better battery is invented,there will be simple ways to shut him off.EMP grenades for example.If such battlearmour is available,EMP technology is for sure.

I disagree Snake.....equipment can be shielded from EMP waves........as can batteries......and how many jihadi terrorist have even a chance to set off an emp grenade....when they have creatures like that falling in through there roof in the middle of the night only to take there still screaming head from its shoudlers? devil.gif Also.....in the event of an EMP grenade......shielded batteries and equipment is expensive...most likely only something we could afford on a widespread basis....so they'd only be EMP'ing THEMSELVES...... grin2.gif NOW thats awesome.......these guys storm your camp....you EMP them as a HAIL MARY kind of manuveur only to wipe out the electronis in your soviet/chinese made hardware........then your wiped out by the shielded superior American troops. ph34r.gif

These terrorists are extremely LOW-TECH.....as are the majority of America's enemies. America has the best recon and communication tech in the world.....no competition......its easy for us to identify and engage enemies by suprise...and as I said earlier.......these armored troops should only be used in spec-ops or to augment already existing units....it can't hurt to have one of these big heavy sob's in your platoon or unit... grin2.gif

Here's some info about the energy dispersment armor.....also called "Liquid Armor".

Its in the developmental stage but looks near completion to me.

Liquid Armor