Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Would Happen?

Delacorr

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Aslan

• Delacorr

• Kimm

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no explaining how photons have no mass. There is no process that photons go through to be without mass. They simply have no mass. Tachyons(theoretical particles that may be real) would have no mass either, and they can travel at speeds faster than light(if they actually exist). There is no explanation for these things, but that doesn't mean we can't accept them and understand them.

Gravity affects everything in the universe, including light. Light is affected by mass and mass is affected by light, but light still has no mass. Mass creates gravity, and light is affected by gravity only because of gravity's affect on the space-time continuum.

The curvature of space itself is warped because of the affects of gravity, so when photons are 'bent' by the gravity of another object, it is because it is following the curvature of the 'bent' space because that space is warped by the gravity. As the curvature of space is bent, light has no choice but to bend with it.

By the way, sound waves are affected by gravity, because sound waves don't exist in vacuums. If gravity doesn't exist, sound waves don't exist either. Sound waves are nothing more than pressure disturbances and are affected by mass density of the air, as well as temperature.

Edited by Homer

Just to answer Delacorr's question from earlier,

Here's another one...does the speed different colors of light vary too?

The colour of light depends on it's wavelength and frequency, but the speed does not. Red light for example, will not travel any faster or slower than blue light.

Red light for example, will not travel any faster or slower than blue light.

Except on the first and third Tuesday of every month. original.gif

I saw that ((j6p)) .. or Dady grin2.gif

He he he .. laugh.gif

you are funny grin2.gif

Ya right?? what are you thinking Kimmy wub.gif ?

I think that it is not impossible to rech the speed of light!! But I think that it will be realy hard!!!!! But one problem is that we will have to build realy strong ships!! Becos when traweling in such high speeds I think that the ship wioll have trubble in holing it selfe togheter. We might even disolve ohmy.gif.

Kimm,

I think the problem is more a case of - how do you build a ship with no mass ?

Remember, anything travelling at extreme relativistic speeds will have an infinite mass - I think trying to build a ship that doesn't fall apart would be the least of your worries.

I think the problem is more a case of - how do you build a ship with no mass ?

I really am with Halo on this , it's way out of my league but If sound has no mass how fast can we make it travel ? Can it go faster than the speed of sound ? oh and I know I might be being a little dim but does speed move faster if the volume is turned up ? huh.gif

hm......

maby if we could in some way build a ship entyrely out of anti-mater. It is so that anti-mater is the total oposit of mater so I ship made out of anti-mather might just need less and less energie to exelerate. The only problem is that when the crue stepps onbord they and the ship would disolve so...... wink.gif

I know I might be being a little dim but does speed move faster if the volume is turned up ? huh.gif

*lol*laugh.gif Yeah in my experience the journey always seems shorter when you crank up the volume. tongue.gif

it's way out of my league but If sound has no mass how fast can we make it travel ? Can it go faster than the speed of sound ?

Kismit,

Sound travels at a maximum of the speed of sound, it can't go any faster, but it can go slower depending on what medium it's travelling through.

original.gif

maby if we could in some way build a ship entyrely out of anti-mater. It is so that anti-mater is the total oposit of mater so I ship made out of anti-mather might just need less and less energie to exelerate.

Kimm,

Anti-Matter has mass - trying to accelerate anti-matter particles at relativistic speeds would induce the same infinite mass problem.

Yup - air, water, glass, wood etc. Anything that sound waves can travel through.

original.gif

Thank you Saruman . original.gif I can't say I wont butt in again later , so thank you for answering ...

Saruman, you said an object cannot accelerate to a speed faster than light. Which seems to be the theory, but what if you caught a ride with something moving faster than the speed of light already? Tachyons anyone?

God18,

Tachyons are only theoretical particles, so we don't know for sure whether or not they even exist at the moment.

Assuming they did exist though, I don't think anything with non-zero mass could reach the speed of light by 'catching a ride' on a tachyon. It would still have the same infinite mass problem once it reached high relativistic speeds, whether or not a tachyon was travelling alongside it.

Also, there's nothing to say that a particle with no mass would be able to exceed the speed of light, so it's all a bit speculative at this time.

maby we could use some cind of slingshot. we go round a planet using its gravity to axelerate (I know this is old) and then jump into a tachyon flow (if these exists). wouldent it be so that a thingi whithout mass (as a tachyon) doesnt use energie to exelarate?

Kimm,

By a 'Tachyon Flow' I take it you mean some sort of large scale flow of tachyons travelling together at light speed ?

It still wouldn't make any difference to the infinite mass problem, if the object you're trying to move has non-zero mass, then it's irrelivant how many tachyons you have going past it at light speed.

Tachyons can't 'carry' an object along at light speed, because how can a particle with no mass, increase the velocity of an object that has infinite mass ?