Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Typhlotic-Envisage

How many of you do not believe..........

Typhlotic-Envisage

I made a post on these forums a very long time ago. I had a number of intelligent replies and I have now decided I enjoy this group much more than other forums. The fact that many people replied with intelligence, planning, actually facts and so on made me wonder.....what is different about this place? I would now like to ask how many of you believe in the religions that the majority of people believe in? I also want you to tell me if you do not believe for that answer is just as important.

Edited by Typhlotic-Envisage

The Raven
I made a post on these forums a very long time ago. I had a number of intelligent replies and I have now decided I enjoy this group much more than other forums. The fact that many people replied with intelligence, planning, actually facts and so on made me wonder.....what is different about this place? I would now like to ask how many of you believe in the religions that the majority of people believe in? I also want you to tell me if you do not believe for that answer is just as important.

638567[/snapback]

I'm overjoyed that you can see there are two sides to the fight: The believers and the skeptics, and that both have VALID opinions. grin2.gif

I do not follow nor believe in any mainstream religion, nor any religion at all. I believe that my philosophy, that of others, and the wisdom passed on from mentors can set me on a path that is the path right for me. Every religion I've seen has either been focused too much on living a life too good to be true, or worrying too much about what is going to come to them upon their death. I dislike both of these values.

No religion I've seen has had a healthy balance of this, and kept up philosophy and discovering the REAL TRUTH at the same time, not some truth man created in order to remove fear from himself. Truth can be a wonderful, joyous thing, but truth is two-faced, in that it can also be painful, and harsh. I think that knowing how to accept the painful or the joyous, whatever may come your way, is vital to any religion. How can you expect to evaluate something when you can't even accept it?

I myself am an ex-christian and now am agnostic. I've read quite deep into Odinism and many tales of the Norse, and I'm currently looking up on Kabbalah -- a philosophy I see having a healthy balance, although some of things I've read have been so abstract it almost made me laugh. No one said the truth couldn't be simple and funny. yes.gif

Edited by The Raven

Maekrix

Well.. I'm not entirely sure what I believe in at this point, but I know what I don't believe in.

I don't believe in 'God', at least as the Christian and Catholics do. I could be considered agnostic, I think, because I believe its impossible to know if 'He' exists or not, considering there is no proof.

To me, God is a manmade notion used to describe happens we could not yet describe with a logical nature. Not only this, but the Bible in particular seems to have a lot of 'borrowed' (more like stolen) work in it, as well as many contradictions.

I quote: "Contradictions cannot exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole. To believe in a contradiction is to abdicate your belief in the existence of the world around you and the nature of the things in it, to instead embrace any random impulse that strikes your fancy- to imagine something is real simply because it wish it were. A thing is what it is, it is itself. There can be no contradictions"

-From Terry Goodkind's Chainfire

I do think it possible for an Ultimate Truth, and that everyone and everything be part of that Truth. It is not so farfetched as a One God. One is to question, if God created everything, what created God?

My faith is that of good books and their valuable lessons. My faith is in learning; learning to be the best person you can be, the most intelligent and knowledgeable person you can be. I believe we all blaze our own trails; everyone's trail is different, and everyone must take responsibility for their actions to be a fulfilled person.

With that in mind, another quote from Goodkind from Faith of the Fallen: "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."

With that said, I take no responsibility for what I just said (Joke)

hyperactive

what i believe and don't beleive:

well, that is rather dynamic since i change as the evidence and reasoning requires but here are some more stable ideas.

i believe in the interconnectedness of all life and the universe.

i beleive that harmony and balance are artifical and lead to death/decay.

i believe we and our universe are dynamic adaopting changing.

i believe what the evidence shows me and what can be reasoned, deduced, and induced.

as part of my belief in the fliudity of existance, i do not beleive in absolutes, or those things that claim there are absolutes.

i see all human constructs as artifical, as reasoning tools to provide an artifical layer of understanding to our universe. (also as simplifying tools)

as part of the dynamic reflexive systems we exist in, i view everything as a matter of perspective and probability. (don't confuse probability with products of probabilities).

"gods" (i mention specifically) are contructs that exist only within the minds of men. should beings/entities/(or even the whole universe) be found to match what one has constructed to be a god, then that entity will only be a god vie the projection of that construct onto the entity (man makes gods of creatures, creatures are not gods onto themselves).

religion. the great irony! re-ligio = the orgin. religion - the institution of power and control via fear and threat (and false promises). funny how something that derives its name from "the origin" does nothing to actually map out our origins but rather operates to instill a lack of understanding of our origins.

Edited by hyperactive

Amalgamut
religion. the great irony!  re-ligio = the orgin.  religion - the institution of power and control via fear and threat (and false promises).  funny how something that derives its name from "the origin" does nothing to actually map out our origins but rather operates to instill a lack of understanding of our origins.

638718[/snapback]

Judging by the things you speak off, you have a religion yourself......

i believe in the interconnectedness of all life and the universe.

i beleive that harmony and balance are artifical and lead to death/decay.

i believe we and our universe are dynamic adaopting changing.

i believe what the evidence shows me and what can be reasoned, deduced, and induced.

638718[/snapback]

I still fail to see how "harmony and balance" lead to "death and decay."

Are you saying that everyone and everything should be mean, and violent?

hyperactive

Edit; removed redundant quote.

1. clarify which things you think define a religion

2. i am not talking of how people act, i am talking of systems. dynanic dissipative systems are "alive" through their fluctuations. systems in equalibrium eventually burn out. the same is true of any system! take for example a love relationship - if it stays the same (equalibrium) the partners will eventually loose interest because of the predictability.

Edited by Magikman

Amalgamut

re·li·gion

re·li·gion [ri líjjən]

(plural re·li·gions)

n

1. religion beliefs and worship: people’s beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life

2. religion particular system: a particular institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine

3. personal beliefs or values: a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

hyperactive
re·li·gion 

re·li·gion [ri líjjən]

(plural re·li·gions)

n

1.  religion beliefs and worship: people’s beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life 

2.  religion particular system: a particular institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine 

3.  personal beliefs or values: a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

638974[/snapback]

and your point is?

everybody believes something..... wacko.gif

Amalgamut

and your point is?

639042[/snapback]

Exactly, so therefore your ways of thinking could be classified as a religion.

hyperactive

and your point is?

639042[/snapback]

Exactly, so therefore your ways of thinking could be classified as a religion.

639056[/snapback]

blah..... ask me if i am a tree. rolleyes.gif

Amalgamut

blah..... ask me if i am a tree.  rolleyes.gif

639088[/snapback]

Hmm..ok..

Are you a tree?

hyperactive

Are you a tree?

639089[/snapback]

i am a tree of enlightenment.

i am a tree of life.

i am a tree of everything and nothing.

i am a tree of the beginning and the end.

i am a tree of the eternity and of the never been.

i am a tree of flow.

i am a tree of probability.

i am a tree of combinatorics.

i am a tree of the future past.

i am a tree of the past future.

i am a tree of you.

and i am a tree of me.

So are you an oak tree or something? Maybe a maple tree or pine.....well we got palm trees in Florida...Most likely I think you would be an oak...

Strong and um you well rooted... wub.gif

poeticjustice

Im agnostic

Discordia

I do not follow main stream Religion, I do not view God as a divine entity, but I do believe you can be spiritual with out it. Spirituality takes on many different forms for different people. To me it means knowledge. To learn and question the way things are. To not blindly lead in a faith, but to question it and many others. Knowledge is never definite therefore there is always more to learn, no matter how much you think you know.

Religion always changes and adapts to the times. This is why I choose not to believe it. The people of power decide which religion to follow. The Egyptians and Greek kings decided to declare their deities to be the right ones. Later on Christianity took root and became the correct religion, which made the old pagan ways wane and die down. The religion that best suits the time is going to be the one to win. Like a celebrity, the popularity of it will eventually die and transform into a new one. With all of the religions and religious beliefs, who's to say which one is right? Whose to say that any of them are right? It's in mans nature to believe we are important and that the universe centres around us. To believe that there is something more important to life than what it already is. Most do not value life to it's fullest thinking that there is something better and this is just preparing us for eternal life.

This is what I believe, but I do not consider it as religious, I consider it as spiritual.

The universe is God in itself, but not as a supernatural being. We have the right of free will but you get what you give. The universe has a way of keeping harmony and balance to it's own creations. Nothing is ever a definite, everything transcends and changes. To learn more about ourselves, we need to examine the stars and the universe itself. Since we are it's creation, we can learn from it. We know a lot and nothing at the same time; No matter how much a man learns he is still ignorant, therefore he should always seek for knowledge. Life is precious and we should enjoy it and take advantage of it to it's fullest. Thus resulting in the greatest satisfaction one can obtain.

SRIHeidiL

638567[/snapback]

Interesting question!

I feel religion is man-made. I feel it is following man-made rules in an attempt to reach God and/or be Holy. I was raised Catholic, and noy attend a Pentecostal church. I do not follow a "religion" but follow the Bible, and what it says. That is God'a rules/laws, words, and no one else's. And if there is anything I am confused about, I research it, and come to a conclusion I feel is right for me- I try to do what is right in my heart. The God I know is forgiving, so if I make a mistake, He will forgive me.

I have found through reasearch and study, that most people are not a Christian or common religion, but have turned to alternative ones, now, as they know there is more to life than what churches are saying. Problem is, they then sometimes turn to a religion or church that is not of the Bible- no happy medium there.

I believe in what I have experienced and know in my heart.

I am 34, and Founder and Director of a paranormal group SRI:Spiritual Reality Investigators. We believe there is a strong connection between the paranormal and spiritual. I give all the credit to God- Jesus.

That is my take on it.

Heidi grin2.gif

Amalgamut

Interesting question!

I feel religion is man-made. I feel it is following man-made rules in an attempt to reach God and/or be Holy.  I was raised Catholic, and noy attend a Pentecostal church. I do not follow a "religion" but follow the Bible, and what it says. That is God'a rules/laws, words, and no one else's. And if there is anything I am confused about, I research it, and come to a conclusion I feel is right for me- I try to do what is right in my heart. The God I know is forgiving, so if I make a mistake, He will forgive me.

I have found through reasearch and study, that most people are not a Christian or common religion, but have turned to alternative ones, now, as they know there is more to life than what churches are saying. Problem is, they then sometimes turn to a religion or church that is not of the Bible- no happy medium there.

I believe in what I have experienced and know in my heart.

I am 34, and Founder and Director of a paranormal group SRI:Spiritual Reality Investigators. We believe there is a strong connection between the paranormal and spiritual. I give all the credit to God- Jesus.

That is my take on it.

Heidi grin2.gif

642299[/snapback]

Welcome to UM. thumbsup.gif

I pretty much feel the same way as you.

SRIHeidiL

Thank-you for the welcome! It's good to finmd like minded people..and even if they arent in agreeance with me, it's juts nice to see people who respect the issues/debate.

Good to be here! Hope to talk with you, and everyone else, more, soon!

Jodie.Lynne

In answer to the OP:

I don't follow any organized religion. I feel that those organizations are more interested in their own survival, that in the benefits to its members.

I leave the possiblity that there MAY be a creator of all open until I have solid proof one way or the other.

Given, for the moment, that there IS such a creator, I highly doubt that He/She/It spends all of eternity scrutinizing the every action and thought of all its creations.

Once I am dead, I have several ideas about what will happen on 'the other side':

a - everything ceases to exist from my POV, my consciousness ends, and the body decomposes.

b - my current body ceases to function, but my consciousness continues, and re-incarnates in another body.

c - my body ceases to function, and my consciousness proceeds along, to the next stage, possibly becoming one with the gestalt that is 'god'.

In all, I could be horribly mistaken, and the creationists are 100% right. In that case, if I stand before an afterlife judge, I will defend my life choice, and take whatever consequences my lifepath brings. But I am highly doubtful that the god-being, is as has been portrayed down through the ages. If the god-being exists.