Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Liverpool win the European Cup

Blackleaf

Liverpool have won the European Cup to become European Champions for the first time since 1984, and become the first British team to win the competition since Manchester United in 1999. Liverpool have now won the trophy 5 times, a record for a British team, and only three other teams in Europe have won it more times. In one of the most amazing games ever, Liverpool fought back from 3-0 down at half-time to snatch a 3-3 draw, and won on penalties.

From The Daily Mail -

Now let the comeback kings defend the cup

May 2005

European Cup Final - AC Milan 3-3 Liverpool

(After Extra Time, Liverpool won 3-2 on penalities)

user posted image

Sealed with a kiss: Gerrard staying after amazing victory

Steven Gerrard called on UEFA to allow Liverpool to defend the Champions League trophy next season as he revealed he is set to stay put to lead their challenge.

Gerrard capped a truly incredible game against AC Milan, with Liverpool having fought back from 3-0 down at half-time to prevail on penalties, by admitting: "How can I leave after a night like this?"

Now the Liverpool captain, who has repeatedly been linked with a potential transfer, will start talks with the club over a new contract.

user posted image

"We are going to sit down really soon with the manager and [chief executive] Rick Parry, and it's looking good," he revealed.

"My form has been hot and cold this season but I'm going to put that to bed and you'll see a different player next season.

"The fans saved up for months to come here. Liverpool fans are crazy, they were unbelievable, and I'd like to dedicate this victory to them."

UEFA pressure

The pressure on UEFA is now growing to confirm that Liverpool will be offered a wild card entry into next season's competition after lifting the trophy for a fifth time.

The winners are not automatically entitled to defend their crown, while Everton have been assured of England's fourth spot in the Champions League.

UEFA sent out mixed signals ahead of last night's final, but Gerrard insisted: "It's called the Champions League and the champions should be able to defend it.

"I just hope that others above [at UEFA] let us do that next season."

Boss Rafa Benitez added: "Common sense says that the winner must defend the title and I think that Steven wants to stay to win more trophies with us."

Liverpool had still started the season as outsiders, they were underdogs against Juventus, Chelsea and also Milan. Indeed, they were written off even at half-time in the final itself.

But with probably the most incredible comeback in any major European final, they rescued a seemingly lost cause through sheer strength of character in Istanbul.

They had gone behind after just 52 seconds when Paolo Maldini volleyed home after a free-kick, with on-loan Chelsea striker Hernan Crespo then scoring twice.

Liverpool were even denied a penalty despite an apparent handball by Alessandro Nesta, although Milan were similarly frustrated by an offside goal cancelled out for Andriy Shevchenko.

The 3-0 half-time scoreline nevertheless seemed to spell the end for Liverpool, even if a handful of fans did defiantly sing "we're going to win 4-3".

Few believed them. But Benitez had made some shrewd moves at half-time, bringing on Dietmar Hamann for Steve Finnan and making three defensive switches.

The net result was to give the team a stronger platform, enabling Gerrard to roam further forward and he duly headed home Liverpool's lifeline on 54 minutes.

Six minutes later, they were level after a breathtaking spell as substitute Vladimir Smicer struck with a drive and then Xabi Alonso converted a penalty - won by Gerrard - at the second attempt.

Six minutes of madness

As AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti blamed "six minutes of madness", Liverpool were kept in the game by an incredible double-save by Jerzy Dudek from Shevchenko in the last minute of extra-time.

However, the Polish keeper's heroics had not stopped there as he then reproduced Bruce Grobbelaar's goal-line antics from the club's last European Cup triumph in 1984.

With Serginho blasting the first spot-kick wildly over the bar, Dudek denied both Andrea Pirlo and Shevchenko as Liverpool prevailed even though John Arne Riise's effort was saved.

After a 21-year absence, they were back at the pinnacle of European football and not even Gerrard could quite believe it.

"We were massive underdogs at the start of the competition and I hold my hands up, I didn't think we were going to go all the way," he admitted.

"At half-time, I also thought it was impossible and that I'd be in tears at the end. We had a mountain to climb but we kept fighting to the end.

"The manager said keep our chins up and try and score early - and we did. The cup is heavy but it feels good. This is the best night of my life."

dailymail.co.uk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• warden

• Blackleaf

• nick_fury

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Scousers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, this must have been an amazing game to watch. i wish i could have watched it. i have the soccer channel too, i didn't realize the final was on, damn can't believe i missed it.

It was an incredible game! cool.gif

We were in Liverpool last night and the atmosphere was just amazing! w00t.gif I took a few pics, and put one up in the football thread. The parade is starting at 6.30 tonight, so I think we’re going to try and get down to see the team in town. I’m not even a Liverpool fan but you have to give them credit after a match like that! The odds were over 100-1 to win from half time!

Great football. thumbsup.gif

I agree Tommy... fantastic night of glory and well deserved win, I bet Liverpool was great for you to witness the atmosphere, Liverpool fan or not no one can't say they did not deserve it after that performance.

Edited by XSAS

what kind of high school sports are played in england?soccer,basketball,baseball,

hockey,tackle football?how do you think a bunch of british rugby all stars would do

on the nfl field against ray lewis,lavar arrington,or john elway?

Edited by openmind1963

what kind of high school sports are played in england?soccer,basketball,baseball,

hockey,tackle football?how do you think a bunch of british rugby all stars would do

642572[/snapback]

We would wipe the floor with you lot,our boys dont need to be padded up to the hilt to protect our little bones,

Our boys would be fitter as well so would run you into the ground,yous have a break every 3 seconds to get a breather,we guys go solid for 80 mins (with a little break in between RA RA RA

Yay! There was an aussie playing for liverpool, so its good to see thay achieved such an amazing comeback!

English teams have now won more Europeans Cups than anyone else. Liverpool's win was the 10th European Cup to be won by an English team.

Also, English teams have won more European trophies (European Cup, UEFA Cup, and Cup Winners' Cup) than teams from all other countries. English teams have won 28 European trophies. In second place are Italian teams with 27. And if you count Britain rather than just England, the total goes up to about 35.

English teams have the BEST record in the European Cup Final. This is from The Sun -

It's official - English clubs are best when it comes to winning European Cup finals

We have been represented 12 times and won a staggering 10 of them.

Italian teams may have reached the final more times than any other country with 24 - but they triumphed on just 10 occasions.

Country...............wins..................runners-up.....................win%

England ..............10.......................2....................................83%

Holland.................6.........................2...................................75%

Spain....................10.......................9.....................................53%

Yugoslavia..............1.........................1....................................50%

Scotland.................1...........................1...................................50%

Romania...................1.........................1....................................50%

Germany..................6..........................7....................................46%

Portugal....................4..........................5.....................................44%

Italy..........................10........................14...................................42%

France.......................1............................5...................................17%

Sweden......................0.............................1..................................0%

Greece.......................0............................1....................................0%

Belgium.......................0............................1...................................0%

well dont the 'pool , fightin spirit 2nd to none,

was well jealous tho.

we got a 50% record yeah lol. and it was celtic who were in both finals woohoo.

openmind.

we play football (not soccer lol), hockey , we played shinty at our school which was awesome but brutal . badminton is a big school sport.

and we get rugby which is well funny.

and to answer your question , the rugby boys would wipe the floor with the heavily padded american football stars.

Football is the worlds biggest and in my opinion greatest sport.

Only the World cup holds more appeal than the Champions league, the game was awesome.

and we mean world cup , lol not like the world series where only america competes lol.

642572[/snapback]

We would wipe the floor with you lot,our boys dont need to be padded up to the hilt to protect our little bones,

Our boys would be fitter as well so would run you into the ground,yous have a break every 3 seconds to get a breather,we guys go solid for 80 mins (with a little break in between RA RA RA

643325[/snapback]

maybe one day that will happen.if an nfl player were to hit one of your girly men soccer or ruby players,the doctors would have to strain the dirt on the field to

find their remains!!!rugby is a great game,but you gotta be really bored and

feminine to play soccer.

rugby is a great game,but you gotta be really bored and

feminine to play soccer.

644490[/snapback]

I don’t think so. It’s only mainly strikers from certain teams who dive and give the rest of the players this reputation. You won’t see too many defenders showing off their diving skills. tongue.gif

Also I’d like to see an NFL player try and tackle one of our rugby lads (without his pads on!) I think he’d be the one getting carried off the pitch.

Anyways back to the theme of this thread. Liverpool last night was heaving yet again! cool.gif I’m going to pick up a tribute t-shirt they’re flogging near the station on my way home today to prove where I was when it all happened. thumbsup.gif

Liverpool winning the champions league is a dark day for the champions league, and soccer as a whole. I do not know what has happened to 'the beautiful game' recently, but it seems underdogs who play with negative tactics and produce often boring spectacles win everything. greece in euro 2004, arsenal in the fa cup and now liverpool in the champions league. The all defeated teams who massively outplayed them by slowing the pace of the game, and turing it into a mundane slogfest. Please uefa, dont let liverpool back in ext year, lets let a real team win the cup this time

Liverpool winning the champions league is a dark day for the champions league, and soccer as a whole. I do not know what has happened to 'the beautiful game' recently, but it seems underdogs who play with negative tactics and produce often boring spectacles win everything. greece in euro 2004, arsenal in the fa cup and now liverpool in the champions league. The all defeated teams who massively outplayed them by slowing the pace of the game, and turing it into a mundane slogfest. Please uefa, dont let liverpool back in ext year, lets let a real team win the cup this time

645042[/snapback]

You can say what the hell you like but the Trophy is in Liverpool I also don't think anyone would not agree that they were outplayed by a better team... but only in the first half and there were no negative tacticts in that game and if the rest of Europe are that good then surely they can outclass a team like Liverpool... As for not returning next year?? it is a question of they should be allowed to return to defend their Title.

the rest of europe did outclass liverpool, and in my opinion they were the worst team left in the knockout stages, certainly the worst in the quarter finals. Lets not forget, the only reason they even got out of the groups was gerard, who to give him his dues was inspirational, otherwise their team was distinctly average, looking at their league results will confirm this (they were closer on points to the bottom of the league than top) they grabbed a few early goals and hung on for dear life throughout the knockouts (with the exception of the poor leverkusen) had they faced a form team in the final (milan hadnt won a game since april) it wouldve been a different story... liverpool deserving champions? dont make me laugh i thought boro and newcastle gave a better representation of english football in the uefa cup, and they didnt even make the semis!!

the rest of europe did outclass liverpool, and in my opinion they were the worst team left in the knockout stages, certainly the worst in the quarter finals. Lets not forget, the only reason they even got out of the groups was gerard, who to give him his dues was inspirational, otherwise their team was distinctly average, looking at their league results will confirm this (they were closer on points to the bottom of the league than top) they grabbed a few early goals and hung on for dear life throughout the knockouts (with the exception of the poor leverkusen) had they faced a form team in the final (milan hadnt won a game since april) it wouldve been a different story... liverpool deserving champions? dont make me laugh i thought boro and newcastle gave a better representation of english football in the uefa cup, and they didnt even make the semis!!

645248[/snapback]

Regardless to what you feel about the early stages that Final was a brilliant show of football by Liverpool and no one can deny that.

indeed it was a great match, but so was chelsea v baraclona 2nd leg, my point is just because they pulled off 1 somewhat fortunate victory, we shouldn't go proclaiming them as the great saviours of the english game, they are far inferior to the man utd treble winning team of 1999

Edited by nick_fury#1

indeed it was a great match, but so was chelsea v baraclona 2nd leg, my point is just because they pulled off 1 somewhat fortunate victory, we shouldn't go proclaiming them as the great saviours of the english game, they are far inferior to the man utd treble winning team of 1999

645263[/snapback]

I don't think they are the great saviours or being procaliemed to be the great saviours of English football but it is a start in the right direction for them now to move forward I think their manager now will be given a little freedom to start to build a new genration to of Liverpool players to compliment the likes of Gerard and Carragher. I take your point also mentioned earlier about the Arsenal win, Man U were all over them and to fianlly lose like that to a team the outclassed was unfortunate but regardless to how they played they missed a lot of chances on goal and there is no point playing a great game but have no finishing touches.

I donk think Liverpool should be in it next year,we should all stick to the rules,and adhear to them ,no matter how big your club is

but we all know the power of money and TV sponsership no.gif

One thing to think about,how the hell can you be 4th in your league but be the best in europe,the cup is all about the money teams and has lost its history,greed has popped up its ugly head again

I donk think Liverpool should be in it next year,we should all stick to the rules,and adhear to them ,no matter how big your club is

One thing to think about,how the hell can you be 4th in your league but be the best in europe,the cup is all about the money teams and has lost its history,greed has popped up its ugly head again

645430[/snapback]

I disagree if this was about money, Chelsea woudl be holding everything on offer, however I am old fashiond and I think the title holders should, regardless to their position in football leagues defend their title.

645430[/snapback]

I disagree if this was about money, Chelsea woudl be holding everything on offer, however I am old fashiond and I think the title holders should, regardless to their position in football leagues defend their title.

645551[/snapback]

I think you have misread my post XSAS,UEFA needs clubs in these competitions who have a massive pulling power ,liverpool are one of them,so you might see UEFA bending the rules to make sure they are in for next season,i hope not as if it were Celtic they would have been told already to p-ss of

645430[/snapback]

645551[/snapback]

I think you have misread my post XSAS,UEFA needs clubs in these competitions who have a massive pulling power ,liverpool are one of them,so you might see UEFA bending the rules to make sure they are in for next season,i hope not as if it were Celtic they would have been told already to p-ss of

645557[/snapback]

Sorry but like I said regadless to it being Celtic or Liverpool they should be the ones to defend their rightfully earn'd title but I can see what your saying, I bet Liverpool do get the OK to defend there title.. I don't think this privelidge would have been afforded to a Scottish team. I had not thought about that..... What a shitter!

Let me post something to bring our spirits back up?

post-12734-1117320972_thumb.jpg

Edited by XSAS

645430[/snapback]

645551[/snapback]

645557[/snapback]

Sorry but like I said regadless to it being Celtic or Liverpool they should be the ones to defend their rightfully earn'd title but I can see what your saying, I bet Liverpool do get the OK to defend there title.. I don't think this privelidge would have been afforded to a Scottish team. I had not thought about that..... What a shitter!

Let me post something to bring our spirits back up?

645689[/snapback]

LOL ,seen it in the paper the other day thumbsup.gif

The champions league has become a joke,imagine being 4th in your league,you are 30 points behind your leading team that win your league and you get an aesy draw and go on to win the cup,how the hell does that make you the championsof Europe when you arent even the champions of your own country,,,MONEY has spoilt the game

Lets go back to one champion from each country goes into the champions league to see who is the best,the old way was the best