Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you believe?

Amalgamut

If God came down from heaven, would you believe it?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. If God came down from heaven, would you believe it?

• 1) Yes
    • 2) No
    • 3) Maybe

If God came down from heaven and said he was the creator of the universe, and performed all kinds of miracles, would you believe it?

This is mainly for skeptics, but all are welcomed to post any thoughts.

EDIT// Rearranged question a bit.

EDIT// This is the definition of "miracle."

mir·a·cle [mírrək’l]

(plural mir·a·cles)

n

1. act of God: an event that appears to be contrary to the laws of nature and is regarded as an act of God

2. amazing event: an event or action that is totally amazing, extraordinary, or unexpected

It’ll be a miracle if we get there on time.

3. marvelous example of skill: something admired as a marvelous creation or example of a particular type of science or skill

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Edited by Amalgamut

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amalgamut

• hyperactive

• BurnSide

• Jodie.Lynne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would depend. Any nut job could try to decieve people and claim they are 'God', or to be a chosen one, blah blah blah. Happens all the time. So it would take a lot to convince me.

What miracles?

Ok, when I say "miracles" I mean like changing rocks into gold, or chickens into horses.

I'm not talking about cards tricks that magicians do. These types of "miracles" would be the most awesome you have ever seen.

mir·a·cle [mírrək’l]

(plural mir·a·cles)

n

1. act of God: an event that appears to be contrary to the laws of nature and is regarded as an act of God

2. amazing event: an event or action that is totally amazing, extraordinary, or unexpected

It’ll be a miracle if we get there on time.

3. marvelous example of skill: something admired as a marvelous creation or example of a particular type of science or skill

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Skeptics seek truth with evidence and proof, rather than believe completely blindly in whatever story they are told.

If solid undeniable real evidence and proof was presented,ie if god prooved who he was without a shadow of doubt, all real skeptics would believe, no question. Because the truth would be revealed.

Only someone completely closed off would not, and that person would not be a skeptic, he would be a believer, since he believes firmly in his own beliefs and denies all other possible truths, as all believers do.

So, there is little point to this poll.

Edited by BurnSide

Who was it....(Blackstone maybe?) made a whole island disappear or was it moved? Is that a miracle?

@burnside: correct!

@amalgamut: your encarta defs all could be acts of the mondain.

I wouldn't believe... If he exists, then so do the others.. the ones who are older then he...

If solid undeniable real evidence and proof was presented,ie if god prooved who he was without a shadow of doubt, all real skeptics would believe, no question. Because the truth would be revealed.

642406[/snapback]

Don't you think thats more of your personal opinion?

I might believe....... I just have to see it for myself.....

My God people, I didn't realize this would be that difficult of a question to answer, much less understand.

642418[/snapback]

No. That is a definition of a skeptic, one who seeks truth rather than accepts whatever story is told to him without proof or evidence. Only blind believers who have their own beliefs and will not consider any others, would not believe.

My God people, I didn't realize this would be that difficult of a question to answer, much less understand.

642420[/snapback]

The unforgivable sin. Taking thy Lords name in vain. no.gif

642418[/snapback]

No. That is a definition of a skeptic, one who seeks truth rather than accepts whatever story is told to him without proof or evidence. Only blind believers who have their own beliefs and will not consider any others, would not believe.

642426[/snapback]

So, basically you are saying that if God did come down and performed all sorts of miracles and said he is God and yadda yadda, all the skeptics would believe it?

Edited by Amalgamut

642420[/snapback]

The unforgivable sin. Taking thy Lords name in vain. no.gif

642429[/snapback]

I know, I know....I'm going to hell.

642418[/snapback]

642426[/snapback]

So, basically you are saying that if God did come down and performed all sorts of miracles and say he is God and yadda yadda, all the skeptics would believe it?

642441[/snapback]

a real god would not proclaim itself a god!

a real god would be self-evident without proclamation!

Skeptics would believe anything if there was concrete undeniable proof of it's existance Amalgamut. They are skeptics of a certain thing because there is no concrete proof.

Present proof that cannot be denied, and a Skeptic will believe.

If this ever happened then I probably would believe it...What other explanation would there be?

642447[/snapback]

Is this question really that hard for you to answer? Tell me, would you answer "yes", "no" or "maybe?"

642447[/snapback]

Is this question really that hard for you to answer? Tell me, would you answer "yes", "no" or "maybe?"

642450[/snapback]

if it were self evident, then the answer would be self evident! thumbsup.gifwacko.gifrolleyes.giflaugh.gif

If God came down from heaven and said he was the creator of the universe, and performed all kinds of miracles, would you believe it?

1.) If it was a male, claiming to be "god", no I would not believe. The first evidence of Deity discovered alluded to the female icon. If it wasn't a she I wouldn't believe.

If you therefore amended the question and asked, "If the Goddess came down....."

I'd ask; which one?

And then that chic would have some serious explaining to do! blush.gif

tongue.gif

Edited by GoddessWhispers

whatever its gender, if a being appeared and claimed to be "THE" creator of everything, it would have to present unimpeachable evidence of its divinity. Then I would believe.

Some people seem to think that skeptics are non believers for the sheer hell of it. That is not the case, for me at any rate.

'Tell a man that there are a hundred billion stars in the universe, and he will nod his head and believe. Show that same man a "wet paint" sign, and he just has to reach out and touch for himself.'

642418[/snapback]

642426[/snapback]

So, basically you are saying that if God did come down and performed all sorts of miracles and said he is God and yadda yadda, all the skeptics would believe it?

642441[/snapback]

Of course the majority of skeptics would believe it. Skeptics don't just believe stuff because somebody said so. They look at likelyhood and/or evidence.

If god sat on a cloud and started to talk to the whole world with his unlimited vocal abilities then who would not believe that it was god? laugh.gif