Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you believe?

Amalgamut

If God came down from heaven, would you believe it?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. If God came down from heaven, would you believe it?

• 1) Yes
    • 2) No
    • 3) Maybe

[No. I wouldn't believe its the actual God. Why? you ask? Because the only time God will come down again is to fight the battle of armageddon.

This will be the only time he comes.

The topic of this thread is just hypothetical.

642780[/snapback]

So even if this hypothetical god appeared, worked all sorts of undeniable miracles, but didn't fulfill your definition of what god should be, you wouldn't believe?

Welcome to the world of skepticism Amalgamut. Your membership card will be mailed to you.

I'll probably regret this, but, why not?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amalgamut

• hyperactive

• BurnSide

• Jodie.Lynne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So even if this hypothetical god appeared, worked all sorts of undeniable miracles, but didn't fulfill your definition of what god should be, you wouldn't believe?

Welcome to the world of skepticism Amalgamut.  Your membership card will be mailed to you.

I'll probably regret this, but, why not?

642793[/snapback]

Yes, the reason for this is because there will be many "false Christs." They will deceive many. Now, a Christian knows that God won't come down tomorrow and perform miracles and say "it is me!", however the skeptic does not.

Like I have said in the past, the Christian God will only come down to fight a huge battle, and throw the beast in the pit. Gog and Magog.

There is much prophecy that must be fulfilled prior to Christ coming.

Edited by Amalgamut

You'd think a guy who made an entire universe along with humans and animals etc in 7 days could do something as simple as kill a monster without having to fly down to earth and stab it or whatever.

Anyway this is again rather off topic. laugh.gif

I really don't want to argue with you anymore Amalgamut, but, if we use the definition that YOU outlined, and "god' appeared, but was NOT the one you seem to be expecting, why wouldn't you believe?

I'm not postulating 'false gods' false prophets, or anything else.

God Appears. Wearing a giant friggin' button that says "Hello, my name is GOD", He/She/It tells EVERYONE that they misinterpreted His/Her/Its message, and you wouldn't believe.

As I said, I'm rather tired of your evasive answers, so please, do a tired old man a favor and answer the question without evasive tactics, OK?

I really don't want to argue with you anymore Amalgamut, but, if we use the definition that YOU outlined, and "god' appeared, but was NOT the one you seem to be expecting, why wouldn't you believe?

I'm not postulating 'false gods' false prophets, or anything else. 

As I said, I'm rather tired of your evasive answers, so please, do a tired old man a favor and answer the question without evasive tactics, OK?

642801[/snapback]

I thought I answered your question? My answer is "no." If "God" came down right now and said "It is I" I would not believe it. Because it would not be the Christian God. Basically, it could not be the real God. I would know it was a false God. It would be the Anti-Christ.

Like I said, there is much prophecy that needs to be filled prior to the coming of Christ. Jesus told us that prior to his second comming, there would be many people who would claim to be God.

If "God" came down right now, it would not be the real God. It would be false, at least I would think it is. If "God" came down right now, it would deceive millions of people, if not billions.

God Appears. Wearing a giant friggin' button that says "Hello, my name is GOD", He/She/It tells EVERYONE that they misinterpreted His/Her/Its message, and you wouldn't believe.

642801[/snapback]

You are a very smart man. This is exactly what the Anti-Christ will do.

fine. Deliberately mis-read the question. I have enjoyed some of our discussions, but no more. You win your god rules you win. Good night

You'd think a guy who made an entire universe along with humans and animals etc in 7 days could do something as simple as kill a monster without having to fly down to earth and stab it or whatever.

Anyway this is again rather off topic. laugh.gif

642796[/snapback]

Basically, all Jesus does is comes down to the earth, and pick him's up and throws him in the pit.

Basically, God will wave his hand, Christ will come and Satan will fall for 1,000 years.

Jesus carries out the action of God. And the dragon is on the earth, so he'll need to come down to dispose of him. The book of revelation does not go into detail on how Jesus does this. It simply says "Jesus comes down, and throws the dragon in the pit."

So, it must not be very troublesome, or difficult for him to do this.

fine.  Deliberately mis-read the question.  I have enjoyed some of our discussions, but no more.  You win your god rules you win.  Good night

642823[/snapback]

I'm not sure why you are mad.

amal:

the point is what if the biblegod is not the real god at all?

what if a real godlike creature shows up that is nothing like what you expect? will you just call it a demon becuase it does not fit your falsely absolute preconditions of what a god is?

you have no factual reason to assume the biblegod is any more correct than any other god, either written of or not.

amal:

the point is what if the biblegod is not the real god at all?

what if a real godlike creature shows up that is nothing like what you expect?  will you just call it a demon becuase it does not fit your falsely absolute preconditions of what a god is?

you have no factual reason to assume the biblegod is any more correct than any other god, either written of or not.

643064[/snapback]

In my beliefs, if a "God" were to come down right now, it would be false.

If anyone came down to the earth and performed miracles, and claimed to be the "messiah" or "god" I will know its the anti-christ. (And I don't mean some wannabe or David Blaine or whatever.)

This person will solve a worldwide crisis.

This crisis will be like none other the world has ever seen.

Like I said, the only time where Jesus will come back to the earth is to fight a battle.

He won't come down tomorrow and say "I'm Jesus." Why I am so sure of this? Because of Biblical prophecy.

Now, will many Christians believe that this person is the real messiah? Yes, they will. But these people probably don't know much about the bible either. It will be the worlds biggest deception ever.

that of course is again based on the unproven preconception that your bible prophecy is correct!

please tell me you understand this!

that of course is again based on the unproven preconception that your bible prophecy is correct!

643076[/snapback]

Yes. That is why I said "I believe."

I know the Bible cannot be proven. However, I believe it is true.

643076[/snapback]

Yes. That is why I said "I believe."

I know the Bible cannot be proven. However, I believe it is true.

643093[/snapback]

and what if a supercreature provided proof it is wrong? while you only beleive it true you must remain open to the possibility of it being false!

no double standards here! you always ask skeptics to remain open to the possibilty of some form or another of a creator, so you need to remain open to the idea that there is not such a consciousness!

fair is fair.

and what if a supercreature provided proof it is wrong?  while you only beleive it true you must remain open to the possibility of it being false!

643211[/snapback]

And how would this "supercreature" go about doing this?

no double standards here!  you always ask skeptics to remain open to the possibilty of some form or another of a creator, so you need to remain open to the idea that there is not such a consciousness!

fair is fair.

643211[/snapback]

Yes, but my religion talks about these things. It tells us to beware of imposters.

the true mark of an imposter is to warn of imposters!

an imposter knows there is a true version, where the true version does not necessarily know there is an imposter!

as for the supercreature: well, not being a supercreature, i can't tell you what it would do.

the true mark of an imposter is to warn of imposters!

an imposter knows there is a true version, where the true version does not necessarily know there is an imposter!

as for the supercreature: well, not being a supercreature, i can't tell you what it would do.

643230[/snapback]

Then how would you know which ones which? Would you trust the person that warned you of an imposter? Or would you think they were the imposters themselves?

lets first see if your god can appear before we worry about anything else he can do.

642612[/snapback]

user posted imageHyperactive, have I told you how much I love to read your posts!?

Actually I think if one includes the quality of "Omniscience" as is applied to the concept of god/Deity, into this discussion, then I think it would be worthy of consideration that a creator would then know the chaos an appearance would generate among the theist population. Akin to the conflict we witness regarding the concept of religion and that can often times assume that old adage; "My God is better than you God!" , in it's tenor.

Therefore I think if god wanted to show themselves without the conflict that would insue, they would manifest miracles among the human populace, on all fronts, in all regions of culture and faith. Of course this would surprise hell out of atheists, but .... wink2.gif

Then when the world began to change in ways that appear as supra-natural, and possessed of the qualities that embody positive those traits ascribed to by all faiths as the betterment of all people, as opposed to the notion of ecclesiastical partisanism, people of faith (religious or spiritual) would then hold an accord that their faith is affirmed.

I think then this would bring about a "united front of consciousness", if you will, wherein people would realize those things they sought to have manifest by their belief, prayers, good works, etc.... for the good of themselves and the world, are happening, quite literally before their eyes. I think then people would realize that all faith (or lack thereof), holds a common foundation for a better life in a better world. And I think if god wanted to appear and prove she/he, existed, they would actively work to manifest that foundation by making the world a better place to live. Creating irrefutable changes on all fronts; environmental, political, etc... which would be the best and most effective means of "proving" to the human consciousness, that something "other" is stirring the pot, which no matter what faith one holds, is obvious to all who witness it.

Edited by GoddessWhispers

Therefore I think if god wanted to show themselves without the conflict that would insue, they would manifest miracles among the human populace, on all fronts, in all regions of culture and faith. Of course this would surprise hell out of atheists, but .... wink2.gif

645552[/snapback]

"Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders...you will never believe." John 4:48

and every religion will see things supporting their own narrow belief structures....

and all of them will be wrong..... blink.gif

religion is the last vestage of tribalism... we will outgrow it or we will perish because if it.

and every religion will see things supporting their own narrow belief structures....

and all of them will be wrong.....  blink.gif

religion is the last vestage of tribalism... we will outgrow it or we will perish because if it.

645577[/snapback]

opinion. thumbsup.gif

well amul... lets just look at this for a moment....

how many religions do you think there are?

how many tribes do you think there are?

(both past and present)

now look at the social/cultural/historical contexts of all of them.....

for any one of these belief constructs to honestly think itself absolutely correct is to be absolutely idiotic!

there is a bigger picture out there..... you just have to be willing to look at it.

(when you are looking at all the tribes, also pay close attention to the similaries, processes, and themes... it will reveal the real humanity to you)

and all of them will be wrong.....  

"religion is the last vestage of tribalism... we will outgrow it or we will perish because if it."

That phrase is eerily reminiscent of a quote attributed to Harlan Ellison. "Religion is the last vestige of barbarism." In any case I would dare say it's not the last, but it is one of the few.

And this is off topic, but with respect to that quote, if tribalism were abolished, what would you propose to take it's place?

As I said, I think if god wanted to make an appearance they would do best to effect blatant changes upon the earth and her people that transcends that which faiths ascribe to ecclesiastical partisanism.

And god, if your reading, feel free to prove me wrong! user posted image

wink2.gif

Edited by GoddessWhispers

true... it may not be the last. it is one of the more enduring ones though.

the replace of tribalism: understanding, knowledge, respect.

if everybody could say to another "i am you"....... innocent.gif

too caught up in the me and now, are people.

too tied down to one view of the world, are people.

too focused on the differences, are people.

too concerned with the irrelevent, are people.

hmm.gif (sorry, you and loge outclass me in the graphics department)