Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Amalgamut

Would you believe?

If God came down from heaven, would you believe it?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. If God came down from heaven, would you believe it?

• 1) Yes
    • 2) No
    • 3) Maybe

118 posts in this topic

whoa182
Ok, when I say "miracles" I mean like changing rocks into gold, or chickens into horses.

I'm not talking about cards tricks that magicians do. These types of "miracles" would be the most awesome you have ever seen.

642401[/snapback]

well changing objects into other objects, creating diamonds out of thin air, changing a banana into an apple and more is all theoretically possible by changing the atoms around (molecular manufacturing). So does that mean humans are becoming god because these seem like miracles?

Edited by whoa182

BurnSide

Evidently whoa, Amalgamut was under the impression that skeptics are people that don't believe in certain things because they have their own belief system and simply dismiss anything else.

Unaware, of course, that that is the full definition of a religious believer, who denies evidence over blind faith.

Hope we cleared that up. original.gif

Amalgamut

well changing objects into other objects, creating diamonds out of thin air, changing a banana into an apple and more is all theoretically possible by changing the atoms around (molecular manufacturing).  So does that mean humans are becoming god because these seem like miracles?

642580[/snapback]

Can a human point his finger and make gold out of thin air?

Amalgamut
Evidently whoa, Amalgamut was under the impression that skeptics are people that don't believe in certain things because they have their own belief system and simply dismiss anything else.

Unaware, of course, that that is the full definition of a religious believer, who denies evidence over blind faith.

Hope we cleared that up. original.gif

642596[/snapback]

There is no "evidence" to suggest that God does not exist.

BurnSide

There is no evidence to suggest he does either.

hyperactive

well changing objects into other objects, creating diamonds out of thin air, changing a banana into an apple and more is all theoretically possible by changing the atoms around (molecular manufacturing).  So does that mean humans are becoming god because these seem like miracles?

642580[/snapback]

Can a human point his finger and make gold out of thin air?

642598[/snapback]

can this god show himself?

lets first see if your god can appear before we worry about anything else he can do.

Amalgamut
There is no evidence to suggest he does either.

642608[/snapback]

642608[/snapback]

You said a believer denies evidence.

Tell me, where is the evidence that suggests otherwise?

Amalgamut

can this god show himself?

lets first see if your god can appear before we worry about anything else he can do.

642612[/snapback]

Thats why in the question I said "If God came down and...."

Did I say he was here right now? No. I'm asking a question.

And you still haven't answered it.

BurnSide

If there is no evidence to suggest he exists, why would i need to show you evidence to suggest otherwise?

Things that have no evidence shown to exist, need proving to actually exist before evidence is needed to show it does not. if there is not a scrap of evidence of a certain thing existing, then it does not exist. Why would i need to present evidence to show something with no evidence of existing, actually existing?

If you wanted to believe in things that have no evidence supporting their existance, why don't you just go ahead and believe in faries and goblins and flying horses and 50 foot women.

I don't need to prove they don't exist, because their is no evidence to support their existance.

Amalgamut
If there is no evidence to suggest he exists, why would i need to show you evidence to suggest otherwise?

Things that have no evidence shown to exist, need proving to actually exist before evidence is needed to show it does not. if there is not a scrap of evidence of a certain thing existing, then it does not exist. Why would i need to present evidence to show something with no evidence of existing, actually existing?

If you wanted to believe in things that have no evidence supporting their existance, why don't you just go ahead and believe in faries and goblins and flying horses and 50 foot women.

I don't need to prove they don't exist, because their is no evidence to support their existance.

642637[/snapback]

You said that a believer denies evidence.

hyperactive

and believers do deny evidence that goes against their belief structure.

lets just look at christianity for example: how many ways has it adapted itself to avoid irrelevency? how many ways do christians come up with to explain away things like errors and contradictions in the bible?

Super Pancake
Of course the majority of skeptics would believe it. Skeptics don't just believe stuff because somebody said so.  They look at likelyhood and/or evidence.

If god sat on a cloud and started to talk to the whole world with his unlimited vocal abilities then who would not believe that it was god?  laugh.gif

642576[/snapback]

I will be the ultra skeptic!

Hell no it would take more than that for me to believe, what if this so called God is just another being with super natural abilities (a human concept) it most likely can be within the laws of physics, chemistry and biology of the universe for a being to be out of the ordinary.

How would we know for sure it is THE God and not just a God. What evidence could there be for somebody to prove their the God that created the universe. It would be your definition or your religious definition however, if you think a being performing miracles like turning water into wine or moving mountains is your God, so be it!

It does not mean this god or being created the universe no matter what miracle it can perform, even if it can give me paradise, hell, or create a universe in front of me, it just means this being is a God not necessarily my God.

I think it would be impossible to convince me that your are my god if you came up to me and said behold by powers, cool fire works but big deal, what do want from me, a dollar for the show!

BurnSide
You said that a believer denies evidence.

Yes i did, and i don't see how that has anything to do at all with what i said.

If there is no evidence in the first place, there is nothing to deny, and it is up to those who put their faith blindly in something that has no evidence of existing to prove it's existance. Try reading what i said, because if you're trying to trap me, you've got to try alot harder than that. At least SHOW the evidence if you have any. rolleyes.gif

BurnSide

Anyway, evidence of god is disputed all over this board, i myself have gone over it countless times, and it is not the topic of this thread.

So let's get back on topic, to the question at hand.

Amalgamut
At least SHOW the evidence if you have any. rolleyes.gif

642661[/snapback]

I NEVER claimed to have any evidence.

BurnSide

Well then, thank you for proving my point.

To bring the topic back on track, incase i was too vague for you, i voted yes.

Amalgamut

I will be the ultra skeptic!

Hell no it would take more than that for me to believe, what if this so called God is just another being with super natural abilities (a human concept) it most likely can be within the laws of physics, chemistry and biology of the universe for a being to be out of the ordinary.

How would we know for sure it is THE God and not just a God. What evidence could there be for somebody to prove their the God that created the universe. It would be your definition or your religious definition however, if you think a being performing miracles like turning water into wine or moving mountains is your God, so be it!

It does not mean this god or being created the universe no matter what miracle it can perform, even if it can give me paradise, hell, or create a universe in front of me, it just means this being is a God not necessarily my God.

I think it would be impossible to convince me that your are my god if you came up to me and said behold by powers, cool fire works but big deal, what do want from me, a dollar for the show!

642658[/snapback]

Yes, even if he came himself, many would still not believe.

Amalgamut
and believers do deny evidence that goes against their belief structure.

642650[/snapback]

Like what?

lets just look at christianity for example: how many ways has it adapted itself to avoid irrelevency?

642650[/snapback]

Like?

how many ways do christians come up with to explain away things like errors and contradictions in the bible?

642650[/snapback]

There are no contradictions. People just arent fully reading the scriptures (much less comprehending them).

Amalgamut
Well then, thank you for proving my point.

642685[/snapback]

Hey no problem. I like to help out in anyway I can.

To bring the topic back on track, incase i was too vague for you, i voted yes.

642685[/snapback]

Ok, thank you.

Super Pancake
Yes, even if he came himself, many would still not believe.

642686[/snapback]

edit: must rephrase my question.

If you saw what was God to you, how do you know it really is your God, and not just some other being acting like your God?

Edited by Super Pancake

hyperactive

@amul: lets not hyjack another thread! all i will say is it was not until science had profound evidence of evo that bible followers started talking of the bible fitting evo! if it was evident from the beginning, christians should have been preaching evo for 2000 years! on the other topics, you yourself are a master wordsmith. when somthing has thousands of interpertations there is a chance one of them will fit the bill.

and back on topic as well:

i answered your question:

if a being capable of being a "god" outside of the mind by my def of a god appeared, i would know it to be so based on my def and therefore it would be self evident. it would not nor would it need to announce itself as such! just like if i go outside and see a bear, the bear is self evident. i don't need the bear to say "hey, i am a bear" for me to know it as such!

Edited by hyperactive

Jodie.Lynne

Funny thing. What if God (Whatever our definition of him/her/it is), appeared, undisputed, but was totally unlike what believers are expecting, and refuted the organized belief systems. Would you Believers believe then?

Edited by JMPD1

Amalgamut
Funny thing.  What if God (Whatever our definition of him/her/it is), appeared, undisputed, but was totally unlike what believers are expecting, and refurted the organized belief systems.  Would you Believers believe then?

642737[/snapback]

No. I wouldn't believe its the actual God. Why? you ask? Because the only time God will come down again is to fight the battle of armageddon.

This will be the only time he comes.

The topic of this thread is just hypothetical.

Edited by Amalgamut

BurnSide

Why would god need to fight?

Couldn't he just wave his hand and make any kind of armageddon start or dissapear in the blink of an eye?

Amalgamut
Why would god need to fight?

Couldn't he just wave his hand and make any kind of armageddon start or dissapear in the blink of an eye?

642785[/snapback]

He did this with the Flood. And the result was the death of many people. In revelation, there is a timespan of 10 1/2 years after the rapture (many think its 7 1/2). This time he uses plagues, and not one huge destructive force. The is the whole process of redemption. He basically gives people a choice. Believe the truth or believe the lie.