Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sylvia Brown is NOT a fraud

gela6101

I have only recently been exposed to Sylvia’s practice and have a few questions for the forum:

1) When Sylvia diagnoses a person’s illness without examining them physically, who/what is communicating this information to her and how? (any source of this information would have to understand the practice of medicine and also possess the ability to read symptoms remotely)

2) Has there ever been an unbiased scientific study of her abilities?

(anecdotal evidence is actually the weakest kind of evidence EXAMPLE: I see that the world is flat, my friends say it’s flat, therefore it’s flat.)

3) Does she believe in a christian god? (I heard her today say that the christian prophecies are a fraud, and anyone who believes them is “stupid”)

Thanks.

B

Edited by curiousbee

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• ShaunZero

• coldethyl

How many times has she been off the mark with her medical diagnosis? How would we know? I'm going to bet that we only hear about the 'hits' and not the misses. And besides anyone with a basic knowledge can give a good diagnosis with a person's symptoms right there in front of them. Especially if they know their age and anything about their family history and how do we know she doesn't?

She's just not my cup of tea.

How many times has she been off the mark with her medical diagnosis? How would we know? I'm going to bet that we only hear about the 'hits' and not the misses. And besides anyone with a basic knowledge can give a good diagnosis with a person's symptoms right there in front of them. Especially if they know their age and anything about their family history and how do we know she doesn't?

She's just not my cup of tea.

coldethyl:

Thanks for chiming in.

Your first point resonates much more than your second.

Selective reporting of positive results is a time-tested way to enhance the illusion of success.

As far as diagnosing at a glance – most of the people who inquire about their health seem to have a history of difficult-to-diagnos ailments. If trained physicians and technicians cannot diagnose a person’s ailments through physical examination, lab testing, and imaging, the chances of identifying it on sight is rather unlikely. By including this point in your post you actually give fuel to the believers. We don’t need to explain “how she does it” if we don’t believe that she’s doing anything special. Also, Sylvia diagnoses friends of the Readee who are not present. I would suspect that her face-to-face health readings are only negligably more accurate than the reading of those not in the room. However, unless there is an actual study conducted we will never know.

Edited by curiousbee

coldethyl:

Thanks for chiming in.

Your first point resonates much more than your second.

You're welcome.

I didn't realize this was a quiz. I was just giving my opinion. I think she's full of it.

I think shes full of it to.

(What "it" is i don't wish to go into)

Edited by AtlantisRises

I think shes full of it to.

(What "it" is i don't wish to go into)

Or step in it either. :tu:

BAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH HUMBUG!

Sorry Becca, I know you like her. :tu:

I'm not really familar with SB, she doesn't braze our TV screens. But it's wrong to make generalisations based on one example or person in any walk of life :yes:

You're welcome.

I didn't realize this was a quiz. I was just giving my opinion. I think she's full of it.

WORD :tu:

I'm not really familar with SB, she doesn't braze our TV screens. But it's wrong to make generalisations based on one example or person in any walk of life :yes:

I base my assumptions on the fact that she already has a criminal record stemming from 92 and the other evidence that says otherwise.

I base my assumptions on the fact that she already has a criminal record stemming from 92 and the other evidence that says otherwise.

I should have made myself clearer, I ment SB doesn't represent every psychic or medium :)

You're welcome.

It was not a quiz; it was merely my opinion. I meant no harm.

I think she’s a fraud. Just trying to figure it out.

A couple of posts back, I had few questions.

I wonder if some believers might want to give their opinions.

3) Does she believe in a christian god? (I heard her today say that the christian prophecies are a fraud, and anyone who believes them is “stupid”)

I guess it takes a fraud to know a fraud. She has a lot of nerve to call anyone "stupid" . I think every time she opens her mouth to make one of her bull **** predictions she proves she's stupid.

I guess it takes a fraud to know a fraud. She has a lot of nerve to call anyone "stupid" . I think every time she opens her mouth to make one of her bull **** predictions she proves she's stupid.

ohio tsunami:

My thoughts exactly. The Christian revelations are in direct competition with Sylvia’s predictions. It’s as if Coke were to proclaim that all Pepsi drinkers are “stupid”. The revelations describe the coming of false profits; Sylvia could easily be seen as one. So, she rejects the christian prophecies. Pretty pathetic.

Also, I find it curious that no believers will answer my three questions. If they can’t answer these simple and direct inquiries, then I can only wonder why they believe in her. I might also wonder why this board exists if nobody wants to actually discuss the particulars of the subject.

I might also wonder why this board exists if nobody wants to actually discuss the particulars of the subject.

You are most likely posing questions in the wrong forum. If you want lively debate about psychics, then you need to go to that forum instead of the forum about paranormal tv. :tu: