Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sylvia Brown is NOT a fraud

gela6101

I guess that I should have been more clear in that I believe Sylvia has psychic abilities as we all do, but I think alot of times she tells people what they want to hear. That isn't always bad I guess because the people have some closure and peace of mind. When she is on the Montel show they have to edit out the psychodynamics so we don't get to see everything that goes on.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• ShaunZero

• coldethyl

i think that the problem is that many people believe her because they want what she says to be true. and alot of us want what she says to be true but a good many of us know that what she says is almost pure b.s.

Being psychic is not a gift that God would give to anyone.

And if she is so psychic, how come she isn't rich by winning a lottery of some kind?

642514[/snapback]

Because she is already rich by selling millions and millions of books which by the way has been all #1 sellers says the New York Times

642544[/snapback]

Sylvia explains that exact question in about 3 of her books original.gif NO PSYCHIC IS PHYSCHIC ABOUT THEMSELVES OR THE ONES THEY LOVE. Therefor she cannot use her gift to gain money via lottery, as she cannot make predictions about her self and the ones she loves... no psychic can...

From Amazon:

Sorry, no matches for the search term "Sylvia Brown Bestsellers" were found.

They have all her books on the site, and not one is recorded as a bestseller or comes up in the bestseller lists.

Try, try again.

642552[/snapback]

blink.gifrolleyes.gif Two of her Best Selling books are "The Other Side and Back" and "Adventures of a Psychic" thumbsup.gif

source: Only the official site rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifhttp://www.nytimes.com/books/99/08/22/bsp/...hardadvice.html

Edited by ParanormalAddict

Sylvia says herself "Take what you want and leave the rest behind" some of you sound like the worst kind of skeptic - and uneducated skeptic grin2.gif it's ok tho, a lot of people like you feel better dismissing things you do not understand grin2.gif whatever helps you sleep at night grin2.gif

Sylvia helped my family find the missing body of my 7 year old cousin. so tell me she's not psychic... unless some of you had a "Guess work" inclination she was 3 feet underground near a lake in the woods? *eyes rolling HUGE at all of you*

she is both a fake and a joke in my opinion.

Sylvia says herself "Take what you want and leave the rest behind" some of you sound like the worst kind of skeptic - and uneducated skeptic grin2.gif  it's ok tho, a lot of people like you feel better dismissing things you do not understand grin2.gif whatever helps you sleep at night grin2.gif

She herself tells you to ignore everything except what you think works. That is a fairly direct way of telling you to ignore anything that she says wrong.

Sylvia helped my family find the missing body of my 7 year old cousin.  so tell me she's not psychic... unless some of you had a "Guess work" inclination she was 3 feet underground near a lake in the woods? *eyes rolling HUGE at all of you*

659111[/snapback]

Near a lake, huh? Pretty specific.

Could have been near a rumbling or whooshing sound too (a road, a waterfall, a windy narrow path).

How about a flat open area? That would cover a clearing, a lake, a parking lot...

But she did say a lake, huh? Can't argue with that, I suppose. There is only the one lake in your area, right? It was in your area, right?

Sorry, but Sylvia is one of the psychics I don't even give the benefit of a doubt to. Perhaps some do it unintentionally, but Sylvia actively uses all the cold reading tricks in the book to produce her results.

Fruad.... like one time she told the parents of this missing girl shes gonna be found aliive then they found her dead body somewhere..... thats pretty stupid... she makes 100,000,000 predictions and get 5 or 6 right. Tell me you cant do that?

Sylvia helped my family find the missing body of my 7 year old cousin.  so tell me she's not psychic... unless some of you had a "Guess work" inclination she was 3 feet underground near a lake in the woods? *eyes rolling HUGE at all of you*

659111[/snapback]

Near a lake, huh? Pretty specific.

Could have been near a rumbling or whooshing sound too (a road, a waterfall, a windy narrow path).

How about a flat open area? That would cover a clearing, a lake, a parking lot...

But she did say a lake, huh? Can't argue with that, I suppose. There is only the one lake in your area, right? It was in your area, right?

Sorry, but Sylvia is one of the psychics I don't even give the benefit of a doubt to. Perhaps some do it unintentionally, but Sylvia actively uses all the cold reading tricks in the book to produce her results.

661943[/snapback]

She named the lake (BC has over 150 lakes!). It's in British Columbia Canada... 200 miles away from her home(my cousin), and 2 states + a province away from Sylvia.. she also said it was on the West side of the lake, name of the lake, and land marks around the spot she was burried... very specific

luckily we did find the body sad.gif it was hard for my aunt, but just having a body to properly bury helped her through the grieving process...

Edited by ParanormalAddict

I guess the only way you can prove her a fake is to try it yourself, until then it's your opinion VS hers... hmmm who would I believe? a skeptic with NO evidence, or a "psychic" who found my cousins body?

I am glad sylvia helped you,....it must have been a horrible journey for your family to NOT know where your cousin was....

I personally have seen sylvia and I have to say she is the most amazing woman that I have ever met.....

her energy is sooooooooooooo strong, she is sooooooo in tune and IF you ever get a chance to read some of her books I suggest all here that think she is a fraud, do...as I have said, she is a great addition to this planet...with her

and many other lightworkers.....

we will make this transition soooooooo much smoother.

I believe we ALL have powers, tapping into them is the trick...

closed mindedness doesnt allow it, so open your minds and find what is truely inside

it will change you forever.

many blessings

everlastinglife

She named the lake (BC has over 150 lakes!). It's in British Columbia Canada... 200 miles away from her home(my cousin), and 2 states + a province away from Sylvia.. she also said it was on the West side of the lake, name of the lake, and land marks around the spot she was burried... very specific

luckily we did find the body sad.gif it was hard for my aunt, but just having a body to properly bury helped her through the grieving process...

663837[/snapback]

That would make her prediction the single most specific one I have ever heard her make, and I have read quite a few of her predictions. Truly, it would be remarkable in its uniqueness compared to her usual reports.

Alternatively, not knowing what she actually said compared to what you and your family unintentionally filled in, there isn't really any way for me to evaluate the credibility of that.

Incidentally, I think everyone agrees that finding the body, regardless of the means, is a good thing. Pardon if I seem a little cold, its just that these sorts of things almost inevitable tend to get clouded when emotional concerns are involved.

I guess the only way you can prove her a fake is to try it yourself, until then it's your opinion VS hers... hmmm who would I believe? a skeptic with NO evidence, or a "psychic" who found my cousins body?

You don't seem to have a good concept of what proof or investigation is. Subjective accounts are not proof; for all we know, there never was a cousin (again, this isn't meant against you personally, however, as far as proof goes, all we have is your word). On the other hand, we can evaluate Sylvia's success objectively, both by comparing her actual success rate, and by gauging her credibility, which is currently suspect.

The simple fact of the matter is that Sylvia has been caught intentionally committing some of the stage magic that distinguishes her sort of act. She has been caught with plants in the audience, she has been caught correcting her predictions, she has been caught doing cold readings, she has been caught ouright lying about her success. Can I definitely say she is not a psychic? No, I cannot. I can, however, say that she is guilty of fraud.

I am a Sylvia fan to the fullest, BUT I thought she said that Micheal Jackson would be found guilty.! I can't remeber exactly when she said it but it has been bothering me, ever since I heard the verdict. Can you remember? huh.gif

Won't really matter. If she was right, it will be paraded by her. If it was wrong, it'll be quitely buried. If it was vague, it'll be hailed as a victory. She's pretty good at spinning by know.

Won't really matter.  If she was right, it will be paraded by her.  If it was wrong, it'll be quitely buried.  If it was vague, it'll be hailed as a victory.  She's pretty good at spinning by know.

674602[/snapback]

Good spelling!

Is there anyone that you do approve of?

As I recall, Sylvia Brown said that Michael Jackson would be found guilty, and he was just proven innocent. Silvia Brown does nothing more than make "Educated" guesses and predictions based on events already in progress.

Won't really matter.  If she was right, it will be paraded by her.  If it was wrong, it'll be quitely buried.  If it was vague, it'll be hailed as a victory.  She's pretty good at spinning by know.

674602[/snapback]

Good spelling!

674676[/snapback]

I haven't yet found a psychic that didn't employ all the techniques that I previously mentioned.

Good luck maintaining perfect grammar with all your posts thumbsup.gif

674602[/snapback]

Good spelling!

674676[/snapback]

I haven't yet found a psychic that didn't employ all the techniques that I previously mentioned.

Good luck maintaining perfect grammar with all your posts thumbsup.gif

675290[/snapback]

Almost everyone in the world uses psychological techniques to try to make educated guesses on how the world works. It is human nature.

I am sorry for being stereo-typical. (Grammer always reflected for me). I just don't understand why; instead of talking about a subject, you want to argue about it.

Such negative energy!!

Almost everyone in the world uses psychological techniques to try to make educated guesses on how the world works.  It is human nature.

And, as long as you aren't claiming that you are getting your knowledge from the dead relatives of a grieving family, I have no problem with that.

I am sorry for being stereo-typical.  (Grammer always reflected for me).

Happens. I'm afraid my fingers don't quite keep up with my mind as well as I would like them to. happy.gif

I just don't understand why; instead of talking about a subject, you want to argue about it. 

Such negative energy!!

676368[/snapback]

Not at all. It is merely human nature wink2.gif

• 1 month later...

I have some very limited psychic abilities. I have no control over when they occur except to occasionally be able to find lost objects. Sylvia Browne I truly believe is a gifted psychic but she also has her limitations.

You cannot be 100 percent correct on predictions all the time. Circumstances can change an outcome. I was able to hear my sisters voice telling me her husband had died 4 days before he was killed in an accident, and when the phone rang four days later I burst into tears before it was answered. I was only 11 at the time and have always regretted that I did not warn her. It may have changed the outcome.

I also told my nephew Nathan that he was going to break his neck and to be careful. He died a year later, he was hit by a car and he died instantly from a broken neck.

I would not wish this ability on anyone, it is horrible seeing a loved one killed and not being able to know WHEN so it can be stopped.

I have a strong faith in God and I sometimes feel that I am being prepared so the death will not come as a terrible shock.

I see good things too, when my mother was diagnosed with cancer and the doctor gave her 4 months to live ,I was happily able to tell my sisters that he was incorrect and that she would survive a long time. That was over 17 years ago and she is still around and kicking!

I sense when there is something wrong in my family and I will call the sister that is having the trouble. I have 5 sisters and they are always surprised when I am able to sense a problem. Woke up at 2:30 am last Tuesday and called my sisters cell phone, had a feeling she was distressed. I found out that she had been driving home from seeing her daughter when her car broke down 100 miles from home.

She was 20 miles from my house and me and my husband went to the rescue.

So yes sometimes it comes in handy grin2.gif

For you skeptics, I say someday if you are open minded you might experience this ability that I believe is within everyone.

For you skeptics, I say someday if you are open minded you might experience this ability that I believe is within everyone.

738476[/snapback]

I have to say that I have never met such an easily assumable cop-out gambit as the 'you have to be open-minded' answer. If you believe in psychic abilities, then you are correct; if you do not, then you are close-minded. Such a terribly constructed argument! One could insert anything into it, and it would make as much sense (or nonsense). If you believe in aliens, you are correct; if you do not, you are close-minded. If you believe in Nessie and Bigfoot, you are correct; if not you are close-minded. If you believe in aerodynamic swine, you are correct; if not, you are close-minded.

PrincessValium, I would submit that being open-minded includes both the possibility of your opinion being incorrect, and the responsibility to go a bit further and actually show the probability of your argument being correct, instead of merely the possibility (after all, anything is possible, just not everything is probable).

Hey, I maintained the entire time that Michael would be found innocent. Am I psychic? tongue.gif I've predicted lots of things that happened. It simply means that I'm aware of my surroundings and of what's going on in the world. It's called making reasonable deductions. As far as people are concerned, it's called cold reading. Frankly, I'm pretty sure I have a better "success rate" than Sylvia.

• 2 weeks later...
Sylvia Browne is a world renowned psychic. She has been a professional psychic for nearly 50 years. She has helped police solve more than plenty of murder cases without charge. She admits that not all of her predictions are going to be correct but basically more than most of them are. Some people just want to be downers and put people down, so let's not do that in this posting area. Let's discuss some of the amazing God given abilities that she has.

642271[/snapback]

How much does it make doing Montel?

I agree that she may not be a fraud. Well No one can be completely Right, but i'm sure she's at least worth listening to. Just heard about Slyvia today.

--wish i were psychic, or had ESP; or SoMeThInG!