Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Megalodon Still exist?

Invisigoth

Is Meg still swimming the sea's?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Is Meg still swimming the sea's?

• yes
    • no

oh not again.....looks like there's a topic on Meg every 2 weeks now.....should we make it a permanent topic on the site?

647056[/snapback]

Sorry, i'll be sure to check with you first before posting a new topic.

647058[/snapback]

You do that.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Clobhair-cean

• psyche101

• Queen in the North

We know more about some other planets than we do about the deepest parts of the ocean, and
The ocean is a VERY BIG PLACE.

648122[/snapback]

indeed. If creatures spend all their lives in the deep ocean, any remains of them are likely to sink to the sea bed, where we've only begun to scratch the surface of exploring. So i think it's quite plausible that no remains have been discovered.

But the evolution question is a sticky one; if there are creatures still living that were there in prehistoric times, that does raise a few questions doesn't it? disgust.gif

648408[/snapback]

The ocean is indeed enormous, but that does not prove anything. As far as we know, the Megalodon lived in the upper regions of the sea, like the great white or the tiger sharks, and without serious morphological and other changes, it couldn't have moved a few hundred/thousand meters deep just because it had the mood for it. Also, the Megalodon was supposedly a warm-sea shark, and it is really cold down there.

Take a look at this site, it should explain some basic stuff: Link

Over thousands of years a species can become acoustomed to different types of weather and changes. If not, then we would all be extinct.

In the deep waters of the oceans there are plenty to eat. Plenty enough to satisify the enormous cravings of one as large as the megladon.

And yes, as someone said before, if it has evolved then it is different. BUT ....... BUTTTTTTTTTTTT... It still proves that it didnt die out when scientist seem to think it did.

It proves that a varity of the Megladon still exist. Even if that turns out to be the Great White, then that in itself would be a discovery worth discussion.

Over thousands of years a species can become acoustomed to different types of weather and changes. If not, then we would all be extinct.

In the deep waters of the oceans there are plenty to eat. Plenty enough to satisify the enormous cravings of one as large as the megladon.

And yes, as someone said before, if it has evolved then it is different. BUT ....... BUTTTTTTTTTTTT... It still proves that it didnt die out when scientist seem to think it did.

It proves that a varity of the Megladon still exist. Even if that turns out to be the Great White, then that in itself would be a discovery worth discussion.

648823[/snapback]

There hasn't been a single animal that changed its habitat to a place where there is less food available to eat. Also, evolutionary changes usually leave a trace, for example the remains of the hind limbs are still present at some whale species, and the swimming movement of marine mammals also shows their ancestors, whereas no such clue can be found in modern sharks that points to the Megalodon(and 11.000 years is a bit short for such a huge specialization to take place, furthermore sharks are much less flexible when it comes to enviromental changes, than humans). Plus, not a single piece of evidence is available that would suggest that the Meg is alive: no teeth, no suspicious scars on whales, no eyewitness accounts, absolutely nothing!

theres eye witness accounts, like the time the father and son saw a shark larger then thier boat, and the time the fishermen were out fishing and saw a giant 50-70 foot shark pure white in colour and never went back out to the ocean ever since then

Theres no maybe choice. I voted no but I'm 100% sure, if it was found out tomarrow they exist that would be great.

Well, they have discovered various species of giant squid, that may support the theory architeuthis dux still exists, so I won't say it's impossible for Megaladon to be hiding out there somewhere.user posted image

However, if it did I believe the Oceanic science teams would have noticed something awry. Like whale populations and large kindred shark populations, declining in drastic numbers due to the outbreak of a large appetite and teeth!user posted image

• 3 years later...

I personaly think that this creature could still roam some of the deepest parts of the seas. We know more about outter space than we do our own oceans. Although godesswhispers does make a very good point about the decline in whale and large shark populations decreasing. This creature could be hiding in the Marianna trench that is about 35 thousand sum feet deep. This shark may be able to livce off the fish that are brave enough to venture down there. Although conspiracy raises a good point what if this shark just so happened to wander out when it needed to eat. The whale shark is almost impossible to track because it roams hundreds of miles a day. This shark may be as enorous as this if not larger, this beast could roma thousands of miles a day making it virtualy and technologicaly impossible to track. Think of sperm whales, they can withstand immense ammount of pressure so this thing could dive as deep if not deeper. Technology isn't advanced enough to go that deep yet. So maybe in a few decades or so we will be able to uncover this mystery of weather it lives or not. I would type more but this as getting long enough already. Fell free to contact me at tylergsandvig@yahoo.com if you would like to discuss this subject further. Also i have just started studieing this subject a few hours ago.

has anyone thought about near a deep sea trench or 'really deep' sea? :hmm::huh:

The deepest trench is 35 thousand sum feet deep and that is the marianna trench in the pacific

i vote yes. ocean is to big to declare it 'extinct' just cuz no one seen it around for so long

hit the nail on the head

I personaly think that this creature could still roam some of the deepest parts of the seas. We know more about outter space than we do our own oceans. Although godesswhispers does make a very good point about the decline in whale and large shark populations decreasing. This creature could be hiding in the Marianna trench that is about 35 thousand sum feet deep. This shark may be able to livce off the fish that are brave enough to venture down there. Although conspiracy raises a good point what if this shark just so happened to wander out when it needed to eat. The whale shark is almost impossible to track because it roams hundreds of miles a day. This shark may be as enorous as this if not larger, this beast could roma thousands of miles a day making it virtualy and technologicaly impossible to track. Think of sperm whales, they can withstand immense ammount of pressure so this thing could dive as deep if not deeper. Technology isn't advanced enough to go that deep yet. So maybe in a few decades or so we will be able to uncover this mystery of weather it lives or not. I would type more but this as getting long enough already. Fell free to contact me at tylergsandvig@yahoo.com if you would like to discuss this subject further. Also i have just started studieing this subject a few hours ago.

Sorry mate but no. The open ocean is like a desert. There is next to nothing there. Sperm whales can't even get close to the depth of the Mariana trench and it is extremely rare for them to drop below 2km.

There are very few fish at that depth because there is nutrients at that depth. No primary production. This is an enormous coastal shallow water animal. There is simply no way it could find appropriate food at that depth (especially when you have seen deep sea fish, they are very small).

We can dive deeper than sperm whales btw

hit the nail on the head

Sorry but it is not. Almost all marine life is coastal, why. Cos there open ocean is a desert. You can go out there for months and simply not see a single thing.

I suggest you re-examine the nail.

Sorry mate but no. The open ocean is like a desert. There is next to nothing there. Sperm whales can't even get close to the depth of the Mariana trench and it is extremely rare for them to drop below 2km.

There are very few fish at that depth because there is nutrients at that depth. No primary production. This is an enormous coastal shallow water animal. There is simply no way it could find appropriate food at that depth (especially when you have seen deep sea fish, they are very small).

We can dive deeper than sperm whales btw

Sorry but it is not. Almost all marine life is coastal, why. Cos there open ocean is a desert. You can go out there for months and simply not see a single thing.

I suggest you re-examine the nail.

Hit the nail on the head repeatedly with a 2 ton hammer. ^_^:tu:

i voted no because the megaladon wasent a deep water shark and we would have seen it being of its size

and also i have several megaladon teeth and they all date back millions of years so if there where any we would have found some evidence

No. Meg is dead.

Wow, I just voted on this most ancient of threads and I'm surprised to see that the "Yes" answer is in the lead. *Shakes head and walks away*

this is one heck of a tooth !

linked-image

there is no maybe vote. fact is we think they don't exist anymore , yet we thought other animals had gone extinct or were myth too. The Mountain Gorilla was considered myth until the early 1900's. How long were Giant squid thought of as myth ? and they live in the deep recesses of the ocean. While I lean towards no - I wouldn't rule anything out.

It simply can't exist, or one would have been caught or spotted. A creature of such size could only be hiding from science in the depths of the sea, but there is a problem with this: The Megalodon belongs to the genus Charcharodon, so its closest relative is the Great White, but the Mako and the Porbeagle are also close to it, and none of these are deep-sea species. It is highly improbable, that such a difference could occur in a family of animals(deep-sea living obviously requires different morphology, and that would place the Megalodon in a different family.) Furthermore a large, deep-sea carnivore could not find sufficient amounts of food, because as one goes lower, the animals tend to get smaller in order to be able to bear the pressure and a 16 meter shark could not wait for the occasional appearances of Sperm Whales and such animals, because they do not spend that much time in the great depths.

Aha but after the ice age there would be the original warm water and above it the cold water and then the water that we now have, is it not possible that the shark could be trapped, unable to pass through the cold water. I personally think they are still alive, if in truly depleted numbers

Aha but after the ice age there would be the original warm water and above it the cold water and then the water that we now have, is it not possible that the shark could be trapped, unable to pass through the cold water. I personally think they are still alive, if in truly depleted numbers

You have a creepy avatar.

You have a creepy avatar.

from the best episode ever...suits my name...im new btw nice to meet yah

from the best episode ever...suits my name...im new btw nice to meet yah

You're cool, I've added you as a friend :)

Best episode of what exactly? Oh, and have you seen From Beyond?

You're cool, I've added you as a friend :)

Best episode of what exactly? Oh, and have you seen From Beyond?

my avatar...if you havent seen the episode called "Hush" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer...go onto youtube or something and watch it, even if you dont like the show i guarantee you will LOVE this episode, the episode alone won tons of awards, whhen i watch it i think of the grinning man, these guys are tall creepy looking guys with no sound, they float across the floor, they have a spell which removes the voice of the whole town and they just wander into peoples houses and dorms and remove their hearts, they cant scream for help at night cos they have no voice, also these guys (The Gentlmen they are called) have permanent smiles...youve probably seen it though

my avatar...if you havent seen the episode called "Hush" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer...go onto youtube or something and watch it, even if you dont like the show i guarantee you will LOVE this episode, the episode alone won tons of awards, whhen i watch it i think of the grinning man, these guys are tall creepy looking guys with no sound, they float across the floor, they have a spell which removes the voice of the whole town and they just wander into peoples houses and dorms and remove their hearts, they cant scream for help at night cos they have no voice, also these guys (The Gentlmen they are called) have permanent smiles...youve probably seen it though

OMG I remember that now! I watched it with my Buffy-obsessed friend! It's pretty scary for such a camp show!

Is it possible that being something so big, it used to live very deep underwater and very rarely go up towards the surface, thus causing it to not be able to return because of the major difference in pressure. Or am I way off?

Nope, these animals would not have had a problem with cold water, like other members of the family it was most likely regionally endothermic (it uses a counter current of blood vessels to keep its body temperature higher than the water temperature). You'll see that all its major relatives are cold water species.

Is it possible that being something so big, it used to live very deep underwater and very rarely go up towards the surface, thus causing it to not be able to return because of the major difference in pressure. Or am I way off?

Nope, deep water animals are almost always extremely small, even the giant squid are not really very deep. Next to nothing to eat in deep water because there is no primary production.