Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Megalodon Still exist?

Invisigoth

Is Meg still swimming the sea's?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Is Meg still swimming the sea's?

• yes
    • no

Hi, was wondering if you can post a link to this "article" it sounds really interesting

thank you, i know this was posted A LONG time back but was wondering if anyone has any information/link on this particular article N-droe is talking about

thx in advance

Swarsh

It was a sleeper shark.

Edited by Mattshark

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Clobhair-cean

• psyche101

• Queen in the North

as many in this thread have pointed out, the megalodon would have to consume an awful lot of food to survive. generally, evolution has not been kind to large predators. they're much slower than the smaller predators and need to consume more food, so, they're basically up a creek. the only animals that large eat krill or plankton, the exception being the sperm whale. it doesn't look good for you magical thinkers. some times you just have to let go of legends.

I vote "yes" because it can't be proven extinct, so there is no reason why it cant be alive.

Except that it was a shallow water species that has no possibility of having a viable population anywhere.

I vote "yes" because it can't be proven extinct, so there is no reason why it cant be alive.

The burden of proof to show it exists is on those claiming that it does. Having shown the world no proof of its existence, the only reasonable conclusion is that is doesn't exist.

Edited by Cleomenes

The same goes for the trilobites. (And, they are just so much cooler then any megalodon)

Megalodon is most likely extinct. It wouldn't be able to live in the deepest depths of the ocean as water pressure would crush it and it was a shallow water species of shark as in it would live up in the surface.

Megalodon is most likely extinct. The Great White Shark is the replacement of the Megalodon as we know it today.

Edited by MysteryMike

Well its possible it could exhist but it would have to be living in the trenches of the ocean which (we all know the pressure down there is extreme). Anything of that magnitude cannot hide for long unless its very elusive. I think if there are witness who report seeing a giant shark are just seeing a large Great White or somthing their not used to seeing. There could be a large Great White out there but not as large as Megalodon.

Edited by JiMbob32292

Well its possible it could exhist but it would have to be living in the trenches of the ocean which (we all know the pressure down there is extreme). Anything of that magnitude cannot hide for long unless its very elusive. I think if there are witness who report seeing a giant shark they are just seeing a large Great White or somthing their not used to seeing. There could be a large Great White out there but not as large as Megalodon.

No it could not exist down there. No food, too much pressure. It is not a possibility.

Megalodon ate whales, it would in fact be rather conspicuous and obvious.

Great whites look large enough at 4metres (I know from personal experience) they get at least 2.5m bigger than that.

Yea thats a good point, I mean really the only thing that ive been extremly suprised to have been discovered was the giant squid. I would be extremly shocked if a 60 foot megalodon had gone undiscovered for this amount of time its just too big and like Mattshark said they wouldnt be able to live in the deep end of the ocean so im sure someone would have noticed by now.

Well we don't know, we only know very little of the ocean.

Who knows? We keep finding new animals in the sea like every month.

I doubt it because as many have already mentioned the Megalodon used to hunt near the surface in shallow waters meaning it would have seen or caught over years.

Well we don't know, we only know very little of the ocean.

Who knows? We keep finding new animals in the sea like every month.

We don't you know and what we do find is small usually or was though previously to be another species.

We know enough to know that no where could sustain a giant mammal eating shark with out us knowing though.

True but Humans sometimes are wrong.

Yes but survival needs are not, its was a shallow water whale hunting shark, there is nowhere it could go where it could have enough food and deep sea pressure would be fatal (and there is nowt to eat for it).

Let me ask a question...how sure are we that the Megalodon species didn't die out but mearly evolved? If you look at the skeletal structure, the shape of the teeth and overall look of modern-day Great White sharks, you would notice that they're near identical...Is it possible that the giant killer from thousands of years ago merely shrank to 1/3 of it's origional size and still terrorizes the sea today as the Great White?

Let me ask a question...how sure are we that the Megalodon species didn't die out but mearly evolved? If you look at the skeletal structure, the shape of the teeth and overall look of modern-day Great White sharks, you would notice that they're near identical...Is it possible that the giant killer from thousands of years ago merely shrank to 1/3 of it's origional size and still terrorizes the sea today as the Great White?

As far as I know, things seem to point in the direction of the Megalodon and the Great White being not even that closely related to each other.

Also, a hypothetical megalodon species that evolved into being great white sharks would be just as extinct as the homo erectus that became homo sapiens is.

Edited by Clobhair-cean

Isnt this amazing we can almost send a man to mars but we dont know all the species that are still alive on this earth.

Because the evidence suggests that great whites are ancestors of prehistoric mako sharks and evolved separately while megalodon was still around.

Isnt this amazing we can almost send a man to mars but we dont know all the species that are still alive on this earth.

I find it amazing that we're even considering sendng man to Mars with all the crap going on here on Earth...On the topic, we (as humans) only know species that are within reach...example: the existence of the Megamouth shark wasn't known until the '50s...and that isn't exactly a small shark...

the neanderthal was not a different sub species of human, it was the opposite sex

peacock, peahen

logical right

Erm, no it was actually neither the opposite sex or a sub species, it was a completely different species.

I agree with you because they still havent explored the whole ocean i mean wat about the bermuda triagle it could be there B)

Why do you think it would be there? The coast of Florida, Bermuda and the Bahamas? Three huge tourist regions in the Bermuda (its not real) triangle.

I find it amazing that we're even considering sendng man to Mars with all the crap going on here on Earth...On the topic, we (as humans) only know species that are within reach...example: the existence of the Megamouth shark wasn't known until the '50s...and that isn't exactly a small shark...

70's actually, but it is not comparable because of habitat and lifestyle, it is a deeper water shark and hunts very different prey (though they are both lamniformes). Also diving is not exactly new.