Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Megalodon Still exist?

Invisigoth

Is Meg still swimming the sea's?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Is Meg still swimming the sea's?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Clobhair-cean

• psyche101

• Queen in the North

Which makes it very unlikely that they migrated 'slowly over time' to Arctic or Antarctic waters... Everything else aside, that is.

Yeah pretty much, they were warm to temperate water species anyway so there habitat would have been gone for half the year and as you said at that size adaptation to major changes is difficult.

Mattshark, it seems all you like to do is look down, or belittle people. Not cool, you suck. :)

Nice you should mention it ;).

• 11 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=2890991:date=May 16 2009, 09:26 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 16 2009, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2890991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is no proof that the water pressure would crush it is there? We never got to study Megalodons, so what if they could withstand that pressure, hmm?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is called physics the pressures are too great at that depth to for a cartilaginous skeleton to not collapse. So yes there is.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Plus, the Megalodon wouldn't be spotted if it stayed near the artic or antarctic, and it would have seals, whales, squids, etc. etc. etc. to eat.

Just because it stayed near the shores in the past doesn't mean it can't change to survive. Adaptation people..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is far too cold there and it would be spotted easily enough still.

The Antarctic is so cold it can not support any shark species, it is the only region of the world with out any sharks.

The Arctic would require south migrations and even extant locally endothermic species can not survive there. Sleeper sharks can but it results in a very slow sluggish animal.

there are actually sharks which can survive the water temperatures of the Antartic, for example Salmon Sharks are found of the costs of north and west Antartica. http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0215022/sharks.htm gives the proof of this fact.

there are actually sharks which can survive the water temperatures of the Antartic, for example Salmon Sharks are found of the costs of north and west Antartica. http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0215022/sharks.htm gives the proof of this fact.

Salmon Sharks are one of the few fish capable of regulating its body temperature to the extent it can function effectively in such chill waters though, definately more the exception than the rule.

I found this tooth a few years ago on the bank of the Savannah River in recent sediments. It must have washed down river from an older out crop. It's pretty isn't it?

Edited by Astute One

I found this tooth a few years ago on the bank of the Savannah River in recent sediments. It must have washed down river from an older out crop. It's pretty isn't it?

If megladons were still alive, we would know it. Even the illusive giant squid leaves evidence. Even bigfoot leaves footprints. Megladon eats too much not to leave evidence somewhere unless they are as smart as bigfoot, ET *SNIP*

post-97709-127241099239_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lilly
removed ad hom remark

If megladons were still alive, we would know it. Even the illusive giant squid leaves evidence. Even bigfoot leaves footprints. Megladon eats too much not to leave evidence somewhere unless they are as smart as bigfoot, ET *SNIP*

Very true, the giant squid does actually leave evidence, I think bigfoot is still a bit out there :P. But the point is, if there were a viable megalodon population somewhere, such population would leave ecological and physical evidence. Point to fact is, there is none.

Edit: Nice tooth btw, is that an actual megalodon chomper? :tu:

Edited by Lilly
edit quote

Just want to throw in my input here..

Let's say if, if "Megalodon" woulden't had gone extinct and been forced to adapt and succeeded. Woulden't it most likely be counted as a "New" species then, or subspecies, rather then a old extinct shark?

There are lots of reports of Megalodon being alive. What do you think could it still be out there?

I've been reading about sharks and collecting fossil teeth since I was a kid and i'd love to discuss the subject.

I watched a documentary on this and the people who spotted the said Megalodon have misconstrued it for a Whale Shark.

A type of shark that big and predatory wouldn't go unnoticed IMO, and I doubt it'd adapt to becoming a deep sea creature when there isn't that much to eat at the bottom of the ocean.

I'm not lying when I say I know a Hell of a lot about sharks. I pride myself on it.

Something so big like that wouldn't go unnoticed.

Edited by Decapitated

No they are found in the northern pacific, but not in Antarctica ever and it is never found in the Atlantic ocean ever. You link is very much wrong.

800px-Lamna_ditropis_distmap.png

Salmon shark range.

Salmon Sharks are one of the few fish capable of regulating its body temperature to the extent it can function effectively in such chill waters though, definately more the exception than the rule.

But they are still not found in Antarctica or even in the southern hemisphere!

Just want to throw in my input here..

Let's say if, if "Megalodon" woulden't had gone extinct and been forced to adapt and succeeded. Woulden't it most likely be counted as a "New" species then, or subspecies, rather then a old extinct shark?

Definitely, especially as the most likely cause of its extinction is through the loss of it food, with the northern migration of the whales it fed upon. Megalodon simply wasn't adapted for moving into that range.

But they are still not found in Antarctica or even in the southern hemisphere!

Nope, but they do roam into the arctic, some chilly waters up in the northern pacific.

A creature as large as a Megaladon with its big appetite is unlikely to continue existing without running into man.Furthermore,there is no reason to believe that it survived its extinction. No bodies, no specimen, no photos, no videos, and no digested fishermen. The only thing Megaladon has going for it is a few separated instances of sightings by old fishermen and over excited tourist, nothing hard or empirical.

Nope. Some one would have noticed by now.

Nibs

Nope, but they do roam into the arctic, some chilly waters up in the northern pacific.

No way near as cold as the Antarctic though and they do move into deeper, more temperature stable water, they are rarely at the surface and they are certainly away from the ice.

Crap, I just broke the tie in the poll, I voted Yes....

Sorry, but there it couldn't survive unnoticed, this is an animal that predominately feed and breed in warm waters and bred in shallow water.

A creature as large as a Megaladon with its big appetite is unlikely to continue existing without running into man.Furthermore,there is no reason to believe that it survived its extinction. No bodies, no specimen, no photos, no videos, and no digested fishermen. The only thing Megaladon has going for it is a few separated instances of sightings by old fishermen and over excited tourist, nothing hard or empirical.

And in many instances, tourists or people with no knowledge on sharks, mistake the whale shakr for the Megalodon.

Isn't the salmon shark related to the Great White?

Isn't the salmon shark related to the Great White?

Same family, mate. The white can regulate its body temperature as well but nowhere near to the extent the salmon shark can, might explain some of the white sightings off the coast of southern england though.

50% said yes????????????????

WTF?????????????????????

50% said yes????????????????

WTF?????????????????????

Blame Steve Alten.