Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anti Aging Breakthrough ! Live to 400?

whoa182

New Research: Live to 400? Youthful and Vigorous the Whole Way

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Original Article : http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file...CMGD8CH62P1.DTL

Cynthia Kenyon - Herbert Boyer Distinguished Professor of Biochemistry and Biophysics at the University of California, San Francisco.

"her lab at UCSF has increased the life span of tiny worms called Caenorhabditis elegans up to six times their normal life span by suppressing a single gene"

This is the equivalent of people living for 400 years, she says, adding that there is more good news coming from her millimeter-long lab animal of choice. Our worms stay young for most of these extended life spans, she says.

Cynthia Kenyon wants to live to be 150 years old, if she's young and engaged in life. "Who wouldn't?" she asks in a breathless whisper, telling me that humans might be able to live a very long time, if not forever.

(Dr. Kenyon says) Some of the (longevity) genes function as antioxidants -- they stop the damage done to worm cells by free radicals." Free radicals are chemical by-products of cell metabolism, mostly created by the burning of oxygen, that wreak havoc on a cell's mitochondria, DNA, proteins and enzymes by stealing electrons. Deprived of electrons, molecules then start snatching them from each other in a vicious chain reaction.

Cells counterattack with free-radical-scavenging enzymes called chaperones and other damage-repair mechanisms. Over time, free radicals and other environmental toxins -- such as ultraviolet light, heat and radiation -- can overwhelm the cell's defenses, allowing the toxins to tear up DNA, rearrange and delete genes, and initiate either runaway cell growth (cancer) or cell death.

Free radicals contribute to human illnesses from emphysema and some cancers to Parkinson's disease and vascular disorders. The daf-2 in worms and similar genes in humans seem to be involved in repressing the synthesis of free-radical scavenging enzymes."

So, what can you do today while we wait for the new gene breakthroughs to apply to us?

1. Follow Dr.Kenyon's diet suggestions. Eliminate the sugars and refined flours. All sugars.

2. Supplement with a pharmaceutical quality EgCG green tea extract. AOR EgCG Max is ideal.

3. Religious, daily use of antioxidants! Critical for DNA repair, mitochondria health, and gene protection. Suggested dose of 300-400mg R+ Lipoic Acid daily for antiaging protection.

http://relentlessimprovement.blogspot.com/...ive-to-400.html

Edited by whoa182

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whoa182

• __Kratos__

• TheOriginalF

• bboy

I think this is awesome news. I already live an extremely healthy life style with all required nutrients, green tea drinks and extract. I do mild Caloric restriction because I am only 20.

This is exciting news!

someone alse extended the life of a mouse by i think 5 years. It was also healthier then the normal mice. All you got to do is get these treatments every decade or so and you could live to be 1000, but look 25.

I think it was posted on here earlier.

~Thanato

People who are for this can't even find something to do on a rainy sunday, let along an extra 330 years of life! tongue.gif

There's plently to do, an endless barrage if you actually love learning new things..

There's plently to do, an endless barrage if you actually love learning new things..

648331[/snapback]

Superbly put, my good man!

^I agree.

It would be amazing to live so long, but whether society and the planet are ready and able to cope with this is another thing entirely.

Well, the tips are good, but isn't it impossible to suppress a gene in a human that has already been "born." I mean, can't you only do this when the human is just an embryo or going through mitosis (or is it mieosis(sp).. I always get the two confused).

Quite honestly I don't think I would want to live to be 400, I would imagine that at some point in the next 400 years I would just become board with life. To put this into perspective imagine that you were born in 1605 and you were just now reaching your final days, that just seems like an ungodly length of time to have to slog through the muck and mire that life often times seems to create.

I would also be concerned about what such a long life span would do to our environment and our ever growing over population problem. Unfortunately people need to die to keep the population down and the natural resources at a proper balance. Do we have a right to extend our own existence at the expense of the younger generation who may find themselves in a hopelessly overcrowded world due to our selfish want to extent our life span to 400?

Well, the tips are good, but isn't it impossible to suppress a gene in a human that has already been "born." I mean, can't you only do this when the human is just an embryo or going through mitosis (or is it mieosis(sp).. I always get the two confused).

652252[/snapback]

No it is not impossible.

They use RNA interference to turn genes on and off

and at the moment I think they genetically modify a virus to deliver genes to a patient.

I personally think it is all bogus....the worms and what-not...

.......however..........

....that kind of longevity is technologically possible....but not with worms....I forsee a time when it will be common place to creat multiple clones of yourself...render them brain dead...and then grow them as spare part doners....need a heart transplant...got it...liver? Got it...Your Wang falls off...got it!

Wow...how sick of a world would that be to live in? ph34r.gif

Quite honestly I don't think I would want to live to be 400, I would imagine that at some point in the next 400 years I would just become board with life.

Live one a day a time and if you feel good then continue living thumbsup.gif If not... then you know what to do, right?

To put this into perspective imagine that you were born in 1605 and you were just now reaching your final days, that just seems like an ungodly length of time to have to slog through the muck and mire that life often times seems to create.

But in them 400 years science will rapidly progress to perfect techniques and cure things the 400 year olds die of. So it wouldnt be your last days. If 400 year old life spans was a reality today, me and you and other people would effectivly be immortal in the sense that we wont die from aging.

I would also be concerned about what such a long life span would do to our environment and our ever growing over population problem. Unfortunately people need to die to keep the population down and the natural resources at a proper balance. Do we have a right to extend our own existence at the expense of the younger generation who may find themselves in a hopelessly overcrowded world due to our selfish want to extent our life span to 400?

Of course we should be concerned, but at the same time we should not condemn future generations to death by halting research, right?

We have already extended the human life span. We give people extended lives every day using medical interventions.

We are destined to explore. We will not be on this earth for another 400 years lol. and also not everyone wants a child. In a lot of developed countries populations are steady or in decline. People choose to use birth control and no1 is forcing it on them.

I personally think it is all bogus....the worms and what-not...

.......however..........

....that kind of longevity is technologically possible....but not with worms....I forsee a time when it will be common place to creat multiple clones of yourself...render them brain dead...and then grow them as spare part doners....need a heart transplant...got it...liver? Got it...Your Wang falls off...got it!

Wow...how sick of a world would that be to live in? ph34r.gif

652284[/snapback]

What? was that are joke because you are not making any sense!

You don't need to make clones of you and grow them! That is slow and STUPID.

You use stem cells to grow tissue or repair. Injecting stem cells into the body. That is more efficient and more moraly correct than creating human clones mellow.gif

Edited by whoa182

Of course we should be concerned, but at the same time we should not condemn future generations to death by halting research, right?

We have already extended the human life span. We give people extended lives every day using medical interventions.

We are destined to explore. We will not be on this earth for another 400 years lol. and also not everyone wants a child. In a lot of developed countries populations are steady or in decline. People choose to use birth control and no1 is forcing it on them.

652292[/snapback]

I agree we have already extended human life well past what it may have been intended for in the first place, however with the human life span at only 75 years we are still experiencing an overpopulation problem. I believe that at a certain point it may become irresponsible for us to continue to push the life expectancy envelope if it means throwing nature our of balance. Going back to the example I provided in my previous post imagine if those born in 1605 were still around today using our natural resources and taking up space, at a certain point isn't it proper to assume that people should give up their respective places on earth to make way for the younger generations to thrive?

I would never in advocate denying scientific research to any field of study, but we should keep in mind that with all positive things there are going to be negative consequences. Having put forth my opinion I do think this is very interesting and to a certain degree I would like to see us as people be able to accomplish this feat. I just feel that sometimes we become so excited with what our technology is providing for us that we sometimes forget that our advances may have a down side.

agree we have already extended human life well past what it may have been intended for in the first place, however with the human life span at only 75 years we are still experiencing an overpopulation problem. I believe that at a certain point it may become irresponsible for us to continue to push the life expectancy envelope if it means throwing nature our of balance. Going back to the example I provided in my previous post imagine if those born in 1605 were still around today using our natural resources and taking up space, at a certain point isn't it proper to assume that people should give up their respective places on earth to make way for the younger generations to thrive?

I would never in advocate denying scientific research to any field of study, but we should keep in mind that with all positive things there are going to be negative consequences. Having put forth my opinion I do think this is very interesting and to a certain degree I would like to see us as people be able to accomplish this feat. I just feel that sometimes we become so excited with what our technology is providing for us that we sometimes forget that our advances may have a down side.

Well said- Its one thing to cure disease and save lives that aren#t ready to leave the world yet, its another to become selfish and overpopulate the world fopr 'research'

If any scientists are reading this, quit this project and get to work on something useful

150,000 die of aging every day. Projects to cure aging are the most important undertaken by scientists!

" its one thing to cure disease and save lives... "

We don't die of aging we die of the diseases that come with aging.

Therefore we are curing the disease wink2.gif

And who decides who should benefit from this technology?

You may think that this exciting development will benefit the whole of humanity. In a utopian society, that may be so. Last time I checked, we ain't doing all that well in that department.

History shows that mostly the wealthy and powerful can afford such technology. (People who have no medical insurance or are stuck with lousy HMO's are often limited in the quality of services given to them.) The poor are doomed to die at a "normal" age, while rich, powerful and sometimes corrupt people get to live as long as their bank account allows.

Sounds heartless...and brings back memories of Nazi Germany.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." --Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

I wish these brilliant scientists would put more effort into solving the world hunger problem or curing AIDs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd rather not live to 400.

By that point you would be a vegtable that craps itself. And not even able to relize you've crapped yourself.

I'd rather not live to 400.

By that point you would be a vegtable that craps itself. And not even able to relize you've crapped yourself.

690506[/snapback]

Why the hell would we extend frail life span?

When these kinds of Life extension methods are done, they gain Extra HEALTHY life span. meaning Diseases are pushed out even further. its reported that they are usually real healthy for the last few days days before their death. original.gif

We wont to extend life span so you can continue to rejuvenate yourself so you always look 20-30 or whatever age you prefer. When you want to look old and frail you can just stop taking the treatments thumbsup.gif

Sound good?

Edited by whoa182

Here is a short video you can see of the Mice that life A LOT longer than unmodified mice.

http://www.mprize.com/files/resources/mult...onPrizeMice.wmv

As you can see. While the group of mice that didnt have treatment are frail and dying. the mice that had these life extension therapies were doing back flips wink2.gif and were both the same age.

I am in my 50's and would love to go back to the age of 20. To again be at my peak, both mentally and physically, with my accumulated knowledge? I would join the Space Program and Go to Mars. The next frontier awaits the next generation.

Now its time for my nap. Perhaps to Dream! wink2.gif

Heres a short video you can check out, I just found it ...

Its some views from Jewish people on the question of immortality.. would you live forever if you can.

Video by Rabbi Noah Weinberg

Heres the vid http://www.aishconnection.com/videos/atr/0...LiveForever.wmv

http://www.aish.com/literacy/concepts/Vide...otion$.asp

whoa very interesting. I do have a question though! I have read many of your posts (keep it up) thumbsup.gif I have noticed you post stem cell research and nano research,both with this kind of result.

The question is will nano tech or stem cell and a healthy life style be the key in all of this? I would have to say nano tech will be the victor and stem cell will become obsolete.

i seriously don't think this could ever work... hmm.gif

just think of all the consequences. the world would be hugely over-populated, and even if people 'cut down' on having babies, would that not lead to an even bigger mess? you'd be stuck with the same generation for hundreds and hundreds of years...no good could come from that. life is a cycle, it needs to be renewed constantly.

i say leave it the way it is. if you've lived a healthy life, what more could you ask for? don't be selfish! it's someone else's turn! of course we should aim to improve our health and lifestyles in every way and aim to live a full life, but don't exceed your term, the world needs some fresh meat, with new personalities, hopes and dreams.

besides, think of all the nasty people who have already lived long enough, and imagine if they were enabled to live for 400 years?? mellow.gif

In my opinion, you should only be allowed to live forever if you were someone that constantly changed the entire Universe itself for good. You can't do that? Sorry. Live and die like everyone else, chum. You're just chipping away the delicate balance of nature if you abuse immortality. rolleyes.gif

Man, I can already feel the powerful, rich old men around the world salivating at the idea of living forever and playing as immortal gods.