Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Little People

greattenchim

Of Johnston County, North Carolina, Jim Brandon writes: "There is undoubtedly a presence of some kind around here. It has manifested in the form of monsters, mini-sters, bridge trolls, and even phantom reenactments in the skies of the 1865 battle of Bentonville."

Janet and Colin Bord elaborate on Brandon's "mini-ster": "It was also a young boy, eight-year-old Tonnlie Barefoot, who first saw the tiny entity of Dunn, North Carolina (USA), when he was playing in a field of dried cornstalks near his home on 12 October 1976. He saw the little man 'not much bigger than a Coke bottle,' dressed in black boots, blue trousers, and a blue shiny top, with a black 'German-type hat' with a pretty white tie. He seemed to be reaching for something in his back pocket, then froze, squeaked like a mouse, and ran off fast through the cornstalks. He left some footprints 2 1/4 inches long and 1 inch wide with boot marks in them. On 25 October, twenty-year-old Shirley Ann McCrimmon also saw a little man, as she came home from a party just before daybreak. He wore boots and a thin garment, and his skin was light brown. He shone a tiny bright yellow light across her eyes, and ran away when she screamed. The dogs also barked at him."

The Brothers House in Winston-Salem, where the unmarried males of the Moravian Church once lived, has in recent times been carved up into tiny retirement apartments. For years it was haunted by an entity called the Little Red Man. One day "a substantial citizen of Salem was showing a visitor through the interesting deep cellar of the one-time Brothers House." They spotted the Little Red Man. "The two men made hurried plans to catch the creature there in the gloomy chamber and quickly moved in to corner him. Their outstretched arms met around empty air and they turned to see the Little Red Man grinning at them from the doorway."

The Little Red Man was traditionally thought to be the ghost of a Moravian Brother named Andreas Kremser, who died in 1786, but perhaps he and the "Coke bottle man" are modern manifestations of what the Cherokee called the Yunwi Tsunsdi or Tsundige'wi. James Mooney writes: "Once some young men of the Cherokee. . . traveled south until they came to a tribe of little people called Tsundige'wi, with very queer shaped bodies, hardly tall enough to reach up to a man's knee."

Some of the Little People may have followed the Cherokee to Oklahoma (as suggested in "Home of the Red Man"), but others apparently stayed in North Carolina. Mooney continues: "Only a few years ago two hunters from Raventown, going behind the high fall near the head of Oconaluftee on the East Cherokee reservation, found there a cave with fresh footprints of the Little People all over the floor."

Interesting story, but the sightings mix the little people as both solid and spiritual matter.

I always find stories when descriptions vary greatly harder to find truth in them.

Edited by Tia

Oh, once I read the Times Magazine and it said there used to be different kinds of humans which were barely 2 feet tall or something like that. Can't remember.

PS AWWW!!! I wonder how big their babies are. Cute.

Edited by cutycub

I tried to read the whole post, really I did.....but the "mini-ster" part wrecked me. I may not quit giggling for hours......wouldn't they just be dwarves (dwarfs?) or midgets? (Little-People being the PC term for it) What's so frightening about them?

It's a fun story but the two different descriptions make is difficult to take seriously. The problem here is the description of both the physical and spiritual little people, that should lead one to believe that we have people mixing up different folk lore as opposed to presenting the facts of the case. For example if two people were to describe seeing a bear in the wilderness the descriptions should resemble each other very closely, leading the reader to assume that it's a presentation of fact rather than lore.

The little people do exist. I had a pint with a leprachaun last night.

• 2 weeks later...

They said he had boots and clothing. Who manufactures little boots? It's gotta be Nike.

Many stories of these little people exist. Who makes the little boots? Well if they have a tiny society and have intelligence, whats farfeched about them making their own clothing?

What is so unbelievable about tiny people?

I just bought some tiny shoes for my 3 1/2 month old son yesterday. The little people can buy them at Dunnes Stores just like I did.

winston salem is only about 60 miles away from me.i may have to go and visit this place down there. thumbsup.gif

user posted image

Boo to scepticism! If I want to believe in Fairies and Little People I shall!

Back to the case in question, the first two witnesses aren't exactly the most reliable. I see all sorts of things on the way home from late night parties, and the dogs may have been barking because she was screaming.

I live in Johnston County, North Carolina and this is the first I've heard about the little people but I am gonna check that out. I'll get back to you on what I find.

I live in Johnston County, North Carolina and this is the first I've heard about the little people but I am gonna check that out. I'll get back to you on what I find.

669114[/snapback]

I thought you were going to check on bigfoot??? lol or are you starting with the little people first... good choice.

• 14 years later...

This is my Uncle and I've heard this story about a 1000 times and he sees it true and I believe it. He tells us it was a leprechaun 

• The topic was locked