Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pacific's last megapode bird declared saved from e

Althalus

SUVA (AFP) - The Pacific's last megapode -- a bird with large feet that uses hot volcanic ash to incubate its eggs -- has been rescued from the brink of extinction, London based BirdLife International said in a statement.

Fiji ornithologist Dick Watling found Tonga's Polynesian Megapode or Malau (Megapodius pritchardii) has doubled its population and is now likely to be removed from the "critically endangered" list.

Polynesian Megapodes were native to remote Niuafo'ou in Tonga but became critically endangered due to human harvesting of eggs and predation by introduced animals.

In 1993 a study of the island revealed only around 200 pairs of the birds and so Dieter Rinke of the Brehm Fund for International Bird Conservation in Germany moved the bird eggs to Fonualei Island, 20 hours away by boat.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceyKC

• Homer

• Kismit

• djdodo

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to hear that there coming back from the brink of extinction!It's great that people have taken the time and effort to help these birds and other species, and know there work is well worth it original.gif

That is great grin2.gif

I hope they do that in Kuwait ... I can hardly see any wild animals around ... unsure.gif

That is great grin2.gif

I hope they do that in Kuwait ... I can hardly see any wild animals around ... unsure.gif

That is really sad Dj sad.gif