Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

any ideas?

Althalus

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do?

I have recently bought a Lexmark X75 Printer/scanner, when I try and install it it comes up with the install dialogue, and then loads the USB drivers and then goes through the rest of the set up very fast and then stops, when I look at the device connections window to look at the drivers for the printer, it says that the drivers are working OK, but it also comes up that the Lexmark is working but has no power, and there is an unknown device also attached that is taking all the power, but this is also the printer.

Any ideas what I can do.

I have uninstalled the drivers for it, and then reinstalled them, but the problem comes back again.

Below is what it says in the device manager.

post-55-1056365494.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Saru

• dust19

• TheOracle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Al, Is the USB ports you are using on the motherboard or are you using a USB Hub ?, If so does the Hub have it's own power supply or does it draw power from the motherboard ?

They are on the motherboard as far as I know.

The 2 ports at the top in the back of the tower.

Al,

Does the printer work at all ? Does the power indicator lights come on ? Also what happens when you try to print something, does it say it can't find a printer or does the printer just do nothing ?

Assuming that the 'unknown device' is the printer, try uninstalling both the visible printer and the unknown device from the device manager. After you reboot, you should be prompted to install drivers for new hardware, which should replace the 'unknown device' with the printer instead of having two seperate ones.

The printer can not be installed, as the computer can not recognise the USB attachment as one device. Therefore setup will not initiate.

Also I have tried uninstalling both the unknown device and the lexmark many times, and when I reboot and install the drivers again, the same problem comes back.

Al,

Do you have all the USB ports enabled in BIOS ?

Who in the what now?

All I can add is that I have a digital camera, it connects using USB, the camera works in either USB port, and with either USB cable (the camera one or the one for the printer).

Ok, it's not likely to be a problem with the USB port then.

Had a quick look on the web regarding the problem, it seems that a lot of people have difficulties getting this particular device to install.

Here's a link to a potential solution, if you scroll down the page it's the one posted on April 22nd.

Click Here

There are also some other comments from people who are having similar problems. Some of the tips posted might be of use to you.

i see that Saruman may have solved the problem? or at least provided a potential solution. Keep in mind that 9 times out of 10, there is a discussion group somewhere designated entirely to peopl with that EXACT SAME problem...I have noticed this in all of my trials and tribulations (damn winXP and VIA chipsets used in conjunction with an Nvidia card!!) !

One thing that usually helps for quicker responses as well is to give your full system specs.

CPU

RAM

MB

OS

Device (which you did..thats how saruman could help so quickly)

driver vers. you are using for the device.

I know sometimes this information i shard to find..if you aren't really a hobbyist or own a pre packaged system like an HP or a dell or something like that, but you can usually find most of it in the boot up screens (as long as they don't have a company logo that comes up to block it all like I know Dell does)

ummmmm yep, I'm rambling now original.gif goodbye

YAY Thank You Saruman, and others. It worked, and I now have a printer/scanner. grin2.gif:D:D:D:D