Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Devil's Hole Cave, Boone County, Arkansas

mr_halo

I read that holyshiite site, that's pretty creepy. That was like 4 years ago and he didn't respond, maybe he didn't make it back...

748001[/snapback]

or..*gasp* what if..what if...its fake? duh... and anyway who the hell bumped this?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• mr_halo

• Space Commander Travis

• CaitSith

I think most people had reached the conclusion it is probably a fake, but it is still a hell of a good read and very gripping, you have to admit that?

I think most people had reached the conclusion it is probably a fake, but it is still a hell of a good read and very gripping, you have to admit that?

750150[/snapback]

of course. I really enjoyed reading it. really. but it's most likely fake...

750150[/snapback]

i say its true until proven fake, or until i say its fake yes.gif

and many good stories have base in fact, so who knows original.gif

innocent.gif

• 1 year later...

Speaking of Hannibal and the Twain caves...

I seem to recall reports back in the 70's of some weird creature lurking around those caves. I believe it was called the "MoMo" by the press. If memory serves, it looked like the Metaluna creature from "This Island Earth" LOL. I'm sure it was a hoax.

Momo has never been associated with Hannibal or the Mark Twain caves, this creature was bigfoot-like and was spotted in Louisiana Missouri. About an hours drive south to the south of the caves.

Interestingly enough authorities claim a mountain lion lived in Whitebear caves outside of Hannibal (only a short drive from M.T. Cave) in the late 50's and would scream at night leading to a local legend.

Kids would go to a ruined church near the caves to listen, claiming it was the ghost of some fictitcous ghost of a little boy. Kids around here still go the Screaming Johnny's to hear it. I have been several times and heard nothing.

Edited by Leviathan113

Momo has never been associated with Hannibal or the Mark Twain caves, this creature was bigfoot-like and was spotted in Louisiana Missouri. About an hours drive south to the south of the caves.

Interestingly enough authorities claim a mountain lion lived in Whitebear caves outside of Hannibal (only a short drive from M.T. Cave) in the late 50's and would scream at night leading to a local legend.

Kids would go to a ruined church near the caves to listen, claiming it was the ghost of some fictiscious ghost of a little boy. Kids around here still go the Screaming Jhonny's to hear it. I have been several times and heard nothing.

Necropost! :w00t:

Bet I know whats in here: http://www.visualparadox.com/images/no-lin...-/raptor800.jpg

Edited by sadistic jellyfish of doom

thanks for necropost :P i like that story anyway

Do you like my picture?

Aaahh I've read that story before, SOMEWHERE, but I can't remember whereee

Seems like theres a 1 in 10,000 chance that something similar is true, Chupacabra was supposedly a evolved form of a dinosaur and / or could be the pet of an alien. Aliens could be evolved dinosaurs and since they have 65,000,000 years on us they could have advanced space travel even...

The series, Star Trek Voyager had an episode on dinosaurs evolving. They stood upright, spoke and traveled in ships and had advanced technology.

As for the Chupacabra...aliens put it here for research purposes.

In the northern part of the state is Boone County and somewhere within the county is said to be a small village called "Self', although I can't seem to find it on any map. There is reportedly a mysterious location here that has proven to be both elusive and fascinating.

Near the village is the Devil's Hole Cave, a strange and unexplored cavern. One day, an indeterminate number of years ago, the owner of the land where the cave is located decided to check out the place.

He climbed down a rope about 200 feet to a ledge where the shaft narrows to a point that can only be crawled through. He suddenly heard a vicious hissing from the darkness, perhaps like a large lizard would do, and he made a hasty retreat.

Some time later, he and some men from town dropped a flatiron tied to a rope to the same place in the cave. They heard a hissing sound and the rope was pulled hard.

When they pulled it back up, they found the flatiron had been badly bent and scored with scratches and teeth marks. They next tried a stone and the rope was pulled taut again. They pulled it back up and the stone was gone.

No one wanted to dare and climb down to see what was in the cave. Occasionally, local stories apparently come from the cave, but the "gow-row" as the natives supposedly call it, seems to prefer staying down in the darkness.

The story dates back to around 1900 and many believe the monster may be some sort of giant lizard.... but nobody knows for sure.

The story closely resembles another pit of this type that is said to be located near Hannibal, Missouri. I can not find any existing records of this hole either, although I have heard a number of stories about it. The tale of the land owner checking out the cave is also said to have occurred here also, but with a bizarre twist.

This time, the land owner was discovered by some friends shortly after his adventure in the cave....his hair had turned completely white and he was wildly insane. Whatever he had encountered down in the cave had broken his sanity.

anyone heard anymore about this story, any locals on the forum?

:innocent:

This story sounds like that movie thats out now called The Descent.

Creepy movie.

This story sounds like that movie thats out now called The Descent.

Creepy movie.

yea i saw that and u know wat. its possible, theres so much of this planet we dont know about but the idea does support this, as well as those overseeing lizard masters or something (i dont believe tose).it could be humans that survived underground, maybe we are the result of watever came out of caves, scary but possibe.

history distroys absolute proof, makes u think

Lol. Go screw yourself ted. :lol:

There was one guy who said he was trapped in a log cabin wich chupacabras outside. How many log cabins are there in Mexico anyways?

How many log cabins are there in Mexico anyways?

Not sure, but I would think that the "logging industry" in Mexico is just as healthy now as it's EVER been.........uh, wait a minute..... :huh:

dino crisis ? :D:D or Serious Sam ?

There are dinos in serious sam? :blink:

Not sure, but I would think that the "logging industry" in Mexico is just as healthy now as it's EVER been.........uh, wait a minute..... :huh:

:lol: LMAO

Last I checked, this story was a proven hoax.

Since I had the misfortune of growing up just a hair's throw away from Boone county and my mother is a historian in Boone county and knows every folktale of the area (and I got lectured on all of them constantly), I think I'm pretty qualified in saying there's no cave of this name in Boone unless someone just made it up or named it themselves.

Though the Arkansas Ozarks are so inundated with caves that are known only to people who happen to own whatever land it was and never told anyone about it, I can see some undiscovered cave coming to light.

But not some historical folk tale cave that everyone knew about.

If the story is authentic, and we dismiss the enigmatic, intelligent, reptiles reported the world order for thousands of years (dragons), there is a very plausible expanation for the "large hissing reptile that apparently ate the guy".

100 years ago, American alligators had a far greater range and even today still live in pars of Arkansas. During the texas revolution there are several reliable accounts of huge alligators eating people who attempted to cross rivers they inhabited in Texas. During this time the primitive black powder weapons had little effect on them and they did not fear people at all.

An alligator could have been trapped in a cave/sinkhole. Perhaps enough sun entered the place, or perhaps there was a hot springs, which parts of Arkansas are famous for.

If the alligator was large enough to be a "maneater" in 1900, it would certainly be dead by now, though it is believed they can live over 100 years. There has been a dwarf crocodile in a zoo for over 60 years, and it was an adult of unknown age when it was captured.

On the other hand, there are Native American accounts of highly intelligent flying reptiles that are uncannily similar to the dragons of Old world legends, and the same creatures are the highest heavenly creatures of the Bible, though few people today understand what the orignal Biblical tests say. But a supernatural origin to dragons seems most plausible consider there is not an ounce of fossil evidence to indicate one has ever died, despite all of the dragonslayer fairytales.

There are dinos in serious sam? :blink:

yup. sam riding dino on second encounter :P

i want to see that guy back and finish his story and even with fake pic, its still good story :tu:

• 1 year later...