Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Devil's Hole Cave, Boone County, Arkansas

mr_halo

In the northern part of the state is Boone County and somewhere within the county is said to be a small village called "Self', although I can't seem to find it on any map. There is reportedly a mysterious location here that has proven to be both elusive and fascinating.

Near the village is the Devil's Hole Cave, a strange and unexplored cavern. One day, an indeterminate number of years ago, the owner of the land where the cave is located decided to check out the place.

He climbed down a rope about 200 feet to a ledge where the shaft narrows to a point that can only be crawled through. He suddenly heard a vicious hissing from the darkness, perhaps like a large lizard would do, and he made a hasty retreat.

Some time later, he and some men from town dropped a flatiron tied to a rope to the same place in the cave. They heard a hissing sound and the rope was pulled hard.

When they pulled it back up, they found the flatiron had been badly bent and scored with scratches and teeth marks. They next tried a stone and the rope was pulled taut again. They pulled it back up and the stone was gone.

No one wanted to dare and climb down to see what was in the cave. Occasionally, local stories apparently come from the cave, but the "gow-row" as the natives supposedly call it, seems to prefer staying down in the darkness.

The story dates back to around 1900 and many believe the monster may be some sort of giant lizard.... but nobody knows for sure.

The story closely resembles another pit of this type that is said to be located near Hannibal, Missouri. I can not find any existing records of this hole either, although I have heard a number of stories about it. The tale of the land owner checking out the cave is also said to have occurred here also, but with a bizarre twist.

This time, the land owner was discovered by some friends shortly after his adventure in the cave....his hair had turned completely white and he was wildly insane. Whatever he had encountered down in the cave had broken his sanity.

anyone heard anymore about this story, any locals on the forum?

innocent.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• mr_halo

• Space Commander Travis

• CaitSith

a giant lizard that turns peoples hair white o.O aye karumba!

I grew up in Hannibal, MO.....the only cave I knew about was The Mark Twain Cave...I'll have to do some research on this.....never heard anything about a giant lizard....interesting! thumbsup.gif

I've never heard of that until now, it's a neat story though. Could it just have been some kind of animal that lives in the forest, like a bear or something. Does Arkansas have bears? hmm.gif

In the northern part of the state is Boone County and somewhere within the county is said to be a small village called "Self', although I can't seem to find it on any map. There is reportedly a mysterious location here that has proven to be both elusive and fascinating.

Near the village is the Devil's Hole Cave, a strange and unexplored cavern. One day, an indeterminate number of years ago, the owner of the land where the cave is located decided to check out the place.

He climbed down a rope about 200 feet to a ledge where the shaft narrows to a point that can only be crawled through. He suddenly heard a vicious hissing from the darkness, perhaps like a large lizard would do, and he made a hasty retreat.

Some time later, he and some men from town dropped a flatiron tied to a rope to the same place in the cave. They heard a hissing sound and the rope was pulled hard.

When they pulled it back up, they found the flatiron had been badly bent and scored with scratches and teeth marks. They next tried a stone and the rope was pulled taut again. They pulled it back up and the stone was gone.

No one wanted to dare and climb down to see what was in the cave. Occasionally, local stories apparently come from the cave, but the "gow-row" as the natives supposedly call it, seems to prefer staying down in the darkness.

The story dates back to around 1900 and many believe the monster may be some sort of giant lizard.... but nobody knows for sure.

The story closely resembles another pit of this type that is said to be located near Hannibal, Missouri. I can not find any existing records of this hole either, although I have heard a number of stories about it. The tale of the land owner checking out the cave is also said to have occurred here also, but with a bizarre twist.

This time, the land owner was discovered by some friends shortly after his adventure in the cave....his hair had turned completely white and he was wildly insane. Whatever he had encountered down in the cave had broken his sanity.

anyone heard anymore about this story, any locals on the forum?

innocent.gif

658508[/snapback]

Halo... Is this the one: http://www.holyshiite.com/caver/page1.html

You guys saw Reign of Fire, right? The dragons (they were wyverns, actually. they had wings but no arms) would burn the earth and apparently eat the ash, the hibernate until life started over.

guess where the hibernated? underground.

guess how we knew they existed? one would climb up every now and again, the Aztecs and Chinese would worship it, the English would try to kill it.

That Ted The Caver thing was awesome. I remember reading about that a few years ago. If you haven't gone through the whole thing, I recommend it. I think you'll enjoy it. As for the cave from the original post, I dunno, sounds kinda spooky though.

just read that cave adventure.

not a bad read, disapointing ending.

but there seemed to be a little bit of creative liscence, the loss of the video camera, the breaking of the lights at the wrong times, very

"blair witch" like, in that a lot of noises and symbols, but no actual meat

to the whole thing.

still a good read.

I agree the cave story is gripping... damn shame about the climax, I am not sure if this is the one Mrhalo is looking for? I think it is as his post reminded me of it as soon as I saw it.

Yeah the end was kind of a letdown, but the rest is good. I still think it's worth the read.

I live a county over in MO. I haven't heard of it, but then again there are lot's of caves in the area.

The best thing I can think of is a very large snake or snakes, and not a lizard. You would be surprised how big our rattle snakes in the Ozarks get. My family and I have seen rattlers as big as full grow boa constrictors. Even I can't believe it sometimes. Although it's probably not impossible for a lizard to get that big, I've never seen one in the area or heard one of being reported. Maybe someone let a pet loose.

Also in some of those caves could be hives for large snake colonies.

Other things could be mountain lions, they hiss and such.

If you want something more far fetched, maybe a Bigfoot. There have been a few reports in the Ozarks, but not many.

You never call tell what's up in them there hills. laugh.gifdevil.gif

Edited by Cendari

Very interesting Story! Although my pants are wet for some reason... Kidding. Seems like a clear case of a Chupacabra to me if it is actually real.

Yes...pretty good read I must admit...again..the end is a bit of a let down..I agree very blair witch...a few discrepencies with pics pics but hey...nice yarn though...oh whats that sound!...hang on a minute i'm just going check something i'll be back in a minute...............................................................................

Yes...pretty good read I must admit...again..the end is a bit of a let down..I agree very blair witch...a few discrepencies with pics pics but hey...nice yarn though...oh whats that sound!...hang on a minute i'm just going check something i'll be back in a minute...............................................................................

659619[/snapback]

I agree on the pics... but non the less it is gripping.

Edited by XSAS

does anyone else get a "Page is unavailable" message after Ted

is suppoed to report back on his finding in the cave?

Or is this the dissapointing ending that your talking about?

Edited by MuFu

There is a strong element of the 'Reptillian' phenomena in this case. I know most of You know who they are. I would rather not class them as 'monsters', as they have a reputation with advanced technology.. and are not nessacerily savage like, or completely different in nature to us, even though they are cold blooded reptiles and despise humans (bit of a paradox really)... Reptillians are said to be associated with some of the 'Grey' aliens, where they work together.. in reference to this case put forward by Mr. Halo, the 'monster' can be interpreted as the 'reptillian'. In all the books I have read on the Reptillians, there is always an indication of how they manage to continue their business on this planet; Underground bases - below the ocean of the Bermuda triangle for instance, in Africa - there are underground bases too.. Caves, Reptillians have a definate reputation of basing themselves below the earth... so this village which claims to have this cave, with supposed giant liazards .. can be a strong case of the Reptillians. The 'hissing' that was reported around those caves is typical in encounters with giant lizards (reptillians) as they have a hatred towards us humans. The history with reptillians go wayyyy back!

The caves, the hissing, the impression of a giant lizard- are all strong indications of the typical reptillian showing hatred to humans and being protective over the entrances to their underground bases. I could only put this in a direct manner.. hope you all dont think im a wierdo .. talking about these underground bases .. they are just so common in this type of phenomena. So to sum up, there is basically more to that case than just fears of giant lizards hissing at the people of the village visiting these mysterious caves.

In addition to my previous post... To support the point I made on the theory that Reptillians have bases below the earth and their history going way back in time; I found an extract from the Shaman that spoke of them at one time. In reference to the case in that village, the caves are a strong supporting evidence for the lizards being the true representation of the Reptillians...

Why is it that well over 500 tribes in parts of Africa which I've visited in the last 40 or 50 years or so, all of them describe similar creatures? It is said that these creatures feed on us human beings; that they, at one time, challenged God Himself to war, because they wanted full control of the universe. And God fought a terrible battle against them and He defeated them, injured them, and forced them to hide in cities underground. They hide in deep cavities underground, because they are always feeling cold. In these cavities, we are told, there are huge fires which are kept going by slaves, human, zombie-like slaves. And, it is further said that these Zuswazi, these Imbulu, or whatever you choose to call them, are not capable of eating solid food. They either eat human blood, or they eat that power, the energy that is generated when human beings, on the surface of the Earth, are fighting and killing each other in large numbers. I met people who have fled from the early Masaki in Rwanda, from years ago, and these people were horrified by what was happening in their country. They said that the slaughter of the Hutus by the Watusi, and the Watusi by the Hutus, is actually feeding the Imanujela, monsters. Because the Imanujela like to inhale the energy that is generated by masses of people being terrified or being killed by other people.

Its clear that this Shaman is very direct about what he knows and wants to say. try not to get distracted by this... He is not a wierdo!

I've been inside some pretty creapy caves here in Ireland, but I don't think I'd g into that one without a flame-thrower|!

Brilliant story, brilliant twist at the end! If that guy's not a professional writer he ought to be.

Okay, First off, If it was a big enough story, someone would find a way to get a camera down there And take a video WITHOUT having the camera torn to pieces. Just as they would do underwater with protected cages around people.

I just see this as nothing more then old folklore untill someone discovers that we have technology enough to actually proove that something is down there, IF there is anything.

Oh... good story though. Nice.

Yeah, I don't think of the story to be true. But it is fantastic! I really enjoyed it.

Seems like theres a 1 in 10,000 chance that something similar is true, Chupacabra was supposedly a evolved form of a dinosaur and / or could be the pet of an alien. Aliens could be evolved dinosaurs and since they have 65,000,000 years on us they could have advanced space travel even...

Welcome to UM kaze.