Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Devil's Hole Cave, Boone County, Arkansas

mr_halo

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• mr_halo

• Space Commander Travis

• CaitSith

Think about it for a moment: whatever it might be down there, it might be a dragon, a plesiosaur, a chupacabra, a giant snake, a giant squid, who can say? ; think about how much money you'd be able to make out of one of those babies, right? And how much more it'd be worth alive than dead, yeah?. Well then, that's why you shouldn't go chucking dynamite down there.

yes.gif

REPTILIAN!!!! not a Chupa-, not a snake!! or a big lizard, geeeeeeeeeeeeeezzee!!

Think about it for a moment: whatever it might be down there, it might be a dragon, a plesiosaur, a chupacabra, a giant snake, a giant squid, who can say? ; think about how much money you'd be able to make out of one of those babies, right? And how much more it'd be worth alive than dead, yeah?.  Well then, that's why you shouldn't go chucking dynamite down there.

yes.gif

663260[/snapback]

yes but you know people, if it can't be explained they'll try and kill/destroy it yes.gif

innocent.gif

I am from Arkansas and I have never heard of "Devils Hole" cave. There is a Devils Den State Park near that area, but no Devils Hole cave listed anywhere in Arkansas. There is a Devils Hole out west in Arizonia or New Mexico. My brother married a woman from Boone County and she has never heard of the cave or the story.....could someone be blowing smoke up your posterior?

I am from Arkansas and I have never heard of "Devils Hole" cave.  There is a Devils Den State Park near that area, but no Devils Hole cave listed anywhere in Arkansas.  There is a Devils Hole out west in Arizonia  or New Mexico.  My brother married a woman from Boone County and she has never heard of the cave or the story.....could someone be blowing smoke up your posterior?

679833[/snapback]

well i'm just going on information i found, i'm not even slightly familiar with arkansas, so i have no idea either way, you'd think that people from the area would atleast know about this though...

innocent.gif

I read through the story at Ted's Caving Page. The person who created this is an awesome story teller!

I was convinced that this story was a true encounter until about the last 2 pages. The accompanying photos made it that much more realistic.

I do agree that the ending was a let down and too far-fetched no.gif

Can someone please post the last two pages? I got up to page 10, and then a "http error; page not found" error page...and I'm REALLY curious as to how this thing ends, regardless of whether or not it's a let down.

Can someone please post the last two pages? I got up to page 10, and then a "http error; page not found" error page...and I'm REALLY curious as to how this thing ends, regardless of whether or not it's a let down.

wink2.gif ?

wink2.gif ?

681966[/snapback]

I'm exhausted right now, so forgive me if I'm slow, but I'm guessing that means there isn't anymore? wink2.gif

yes.gif

user posted image

Know what i'm saying ...

yes.gif

user posted image

Know what i'm saying ...

681982[/snapback]

nope, i have no idea no.gif

innocent.gif

The whole idea behind getting the error page is that you are left thinking that they returned to the cave and never made it back to finish the tale. unsure.gif

Like I previously stated...a little far-fetched.

But, a good story none the less.

There are many such caves here and there through out Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri..........

........it is a tale designed to keep curious kids from being stupid and crawling down in a cave they found....

It probably is a undiscovered giant lizard.. or perhaps a dinosaur species?

We all know big reptiles are scary, so it's no wonder someone would go crazy after seeing an UNKNOWN giant reptile in a cave. That is the scariest place to find a new species of animal.

They should try baiting it with food on the rope and have a hook inside of the meat attached to the rope. Just to capture it since no one is brave enough to go down with a lanturn to see. I do not think it should be killed. Whatever it is, it deserves to live. We have endangered enough animal species.

There are many such caves here and there through out Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri..........

........it is a tale designed to keep curious kids from being stupid and crawling down in a cave they found....

682062[/snapback]

This is exactly what I was going to say, until joc said it. laugh.gif

As for reptilians? blink.gif

I say, jump down the whole, screaming, with a base ball bat and a violin.

In the northern part of the state is Boone County and somewhere within the county is said to be a small village called "Self', although I can't seem to find it on any map. There is reportedly a mysterious location here that has proven to be both elusive and fascinating.

Near the village is the Devil's Hole Cave, a strange and unexplored cavern. One day, an indeterminate number of years ago, the owner of the land where the cave is located decided to check out the place.

He climbed down a rope about 200 feet to a ledge where the shaft narrows to a point that can only be crawled through. He suddenly heard a vicious hissing from the darkness, perhaps like a large lizard would do, and he made a hasty retreat.

Some time later, he and some men from town dropped a flatiron tied to a rope to the same place in the cave. They heard a hissing sound and the rope was pulled hard.

When they pulled it back up, they found the flatiron had been badly bent and scored with scratches and teeth marks. They next tried a stone and the rope was pulled taut again. They pulled it back up and the stone was gone.

No one wanted to dare and climb down to see what was in the cave. Occasionally, local stories apparently come from the cave, but the "gow-row" as the natives supposedly call it, seems to prefer staying down in the darkness.

The story dates back to around 1900 and many believe the monster may be some sort of giant lizard.... but nobody knows for sure.

The story closely resembles another pit of this type that is said to be located near Hannibal, Missouri. I can not find any existing records of this hole either, although I have heard a number of stories about it. The tale of the land owner checking out the cave is also said to have occurred here also, but with a bizarre twist.

This time, the land owner was discovered by some friends shortly after his adventure in the cave....his hair had turned completely white and he was wildly insane. Whatever he had encountered down in the cave had broken his sanity.

anyone heard anymore about this story, any locals on the forum?

innocent.gif

658508[/snapback]

Mr H, was the Teds cave the story you were talking about or is there another one?

In the northern part of the state is Boone County and somewhere within the county is said to be a small village called "Self', although I can't seem to find it on any map. There is reportedly a mysterious location here that has proven to be both elusive and fascinating.

Near the village is the Devil's Hole Cave, a strange and unexplored cavern. One day, an indeterminate number of years ago, the owner of the land where the cave is located decided to check out the place.

He climbed down a rope about 200 feet to a ledge where the shaft narrows to a point that can only be crawled through. He suddenly heard a vicious hissing from the darkness, perhaps like a large lizard would do, and he made a hasty retreat.

Some time later, he and some men from town dropped a flatiron tied to a rope to the same place in the cave. They heard a hissing sound and the rope was pulled hard.

When they pulled it back up, they found the flatiron had been badly bent and scored with scratches and teeth marks. They next tried a stone and the rope was pulled taut again. They pulled it back up and the stone was gone.

No one wanted to dare and climb down to see what was in the cave. Occasionally, local stories apparently come from the cave, but the "gow-row" as the natives supposedly call it, seems to prefer staying down in the darkness.

The story dates back to around 1900 and many believe the monster may be some sort of giant lizard.... but nobody knows for sure.

The story closely resembles another pit of this type that is said to be located near Hannibal, Missouri. I can not find any existing records of this hole either, although I have heard a number of stories about it. The tale of the land owner checking out the cave is also said to have occurred here also, but with a bizarre twist.

This time, the land owner was discovered by some friends shortly after his adventure in the cave....his hair had turned completely white and he was wildly insane. Whatever he had encountered down in the cave had broken his sanity.

anyone heard anymore about this story, any locals on the forum?

innocent.gif

658508[/snapback]

Mr H, was the Teds cave the story you were talking about or is there another one?

685100[/snapback]

whats the teds cave story?

all i know is whats in the artuicle i posted, nothing more no.gif

innocent.gif

All reptiles need sunlight. They don't have an internal mechanism for regulating body temperature. If it was a giant snake or a giant lizard in the Devil's Hole cave, it would have to come up out and catch some rays. Otherwise it would die. As with Nessie and other anomolous creatures, one must ask, "whither its fellows?" All known creatures need a genetic pool from which to reproduce themselves. You can't have just ONE...unless the creature in question belongs to the supernatural and then all rules are off!

The hissing sound may simply be drafts of air whistling through cracks and small rock openings. The cave temperature may vary diurnally and seasonally as the the sun heats the air and Earth. This would cause drafts as warmer air rises.

Maybe that equipment those clowns lowered into the cave got cought in rock crags and damanged that way. If they wanted to see tooth marks, by gum, that's what they'd see!

cool.gifwacko.gif

Edited by Pilgrim Shadow

All reptiles need sunlight.  They don't have an internal mechanism for regulating body temperature.  If it was a giant snake or a giant lizard in the Devil's Hole cave, it would have to come up out and catch some rays.

689338[/snapback]

thats very true, so perhaps it isn't a lizard, or is a creature that resembles a lizard but is able to regulate its own body temperature, perhaps it adapted to the conditions in which it finds itself in yes.gif

innocent.gif