Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seven new animal species discovered in Bolivia

Althalus

A team of Bolivian and British students discovered seven previously unknown species of animals in the rainforests of Bolivia, the group announced at New York's Central Park Zoo. Two new species of frog were found along with two new species of snakes and toads, and one new species of lizard, the group said.

"Yungas 2001", a joint Oxford and Glasgow University expedition to the Yungas forests of Bolivia's Mosetenes' mountain range, at some 1,500 to 2,500 meters (4,900-8,200 feet) altitude, was part in funded by British Petroleum. Michael Harvey, tropical biologist at the University of Florida and an expert on Bolivian amphibians and reptiles, confirmed the finds.

"The collection is very exciting and includes new frogs in the genera Phyllonastes and Phrynopus as well as new snakes in the genera Liophis and Tomodon," Harvey said.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• SpaceyKC

• dust19

• Kimm

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent article, Al! That's great news about the discoveries..

I just hope it reinforces the efforts to keep the rainforests intact.

Okay, 7 new species were just discovered in Bolivia. Bolivia is a place inhabited by people. For so long these species have eluded them (although they may just look like other spieceseses as well). What I'm getting at, is just imagine what may be lurking in the part of the wold where there are no people. I'm especially interested in the depths of the ocean.

yeah, just think, there might be some creatures out there that look so completely different we would not recognise them as what they are.

I just wonder why British petroleum is funding the expedition...

By the way the estimated oil resourses in Bolivia are about 1200 million barrels of oil and I think the petroleum companies assessed that another 3100 million barrels of oil are still undiscovered...

I hope they will save the Bolivian forests crying.gif

Yay great news, I have to agree with KC:

I just hope it reinforces the efforts to keep the rainforests intact..
I hope it does as well

Excellent news. Thanks for the article Al.

I also agree with KC (of course original.gif )

I hope it helps keep the rainforests intact.

That is awesome news!! I love to hear things like this!! Dust, the OCEAN!! YES! I can only imagine what is in there, being that there is so much we can't explore or haven't yet... wink.gif