Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope rejects condoms for Africa

Talon

Pope rejects condoms for Africa

The spread of HIV and Aids in Africa should be tackled through fidelity and abstinence and not by condoms, Pope Benedict XVI has said.

Speaking to African bishops at the Vatican, the Pope described HIV/Aids in Africa as a "cruel epidemic".

But he told them: "The traditional teaching of the church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids."

More than 60% of the world's 40m people with HIV live in sub-Saharan Africa.

In South Africa alone, 600-1,000 people are thought to die every day because of Aids.

Pope Benedict, who was elected to succeed John Paul II in April, has already signalled that he will maintain a strictly traditional line on issues including abortion and homosexuality.

Before being elected pope, Benedict served as head of the Vatican's doctrinal office.

These were his first public comments on the issue of Aids/HIV and contraception since taking office.

He was addressing bishops from South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland, Namibia and Lesotho, who had travelled to the Vatican for a routine papal audience.

Some Catholic clergymen have argued that the use of condoms to stem the spread of the disease would be a "lesser of two evils".

The Pope warned that contraception was one of a host of trends contributing to a "breakdown in sexual morality", and church teachings should not be ignored.

"It is of great concern that the fabric of African life, its very source of hope and stability, is threatened by divorce, abortion, prostitution, human trafficking and a contraception mentality," he added.

The virus "seriously threatens the economic and social stability of the continent," the Pope said.

The UN estimates that without new initiatives and greater access to drugs, more than 80 million Africans may die from Aids by 2025 and HIV infections could reach 90 million, or 10% of the continent's population.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...ope/4081276.stm

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnakeProphet

• Commander CMG

• ames2787

• wunarmdscissor

The spread of HIV and Aids in Africa should be tackled through fidelity and abstinence and not by condoms, Pope Benedict XVI has said.

Right, that will happen. That goes for anywhere not just Africa.

Some Catholic clergymen have argued that the use of condoms to stem the spread of the disease would be a "lesser of two evils".

Less is good!

The UN estimates that without new initiatives and greater access to drugs, more than 80 million Africans may die from Aids by 2025 and HIV infections could reach 90 million, or 10% of the continent's population.

Well, God forbid, don't give 'em any condoms; it might lead to the breakdown of moral fabric or something.

he should be called,Pope dumbass the first!!! devil.gif

But he told them: "The traditional teaching of the church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids."

The teachings of the church... I love how they can take a fact of life and turn it into the church said it. rolleyes.gif

Sure, he doesn't want them using condoms... He would rather see them dead. I think he listened to Hitler a little to much as a wee one. tongue.gif

most of africa are not catholics so give em the condomns! angry.gif

he should be called,Pope dumbass the first!!! devil.gif

668144[/snapback]

In that case he wouldn't be the first tongue.gif More like the twenty-fifth.

Well, the Church is now even openly interfering with internal italian politics. Although not having openly menaced excommunication for those who will vote yes at the coming referendum about stem cells research and medical assisted procreation, as if they still were in the middle ages, they are engaged in a strong political quarrel, which would eventually lead many catholics not to vote, in order to make the referendum fail (50% + 1 voters needed for the referendum to be considered valid).

Edited by Dark_Lord

typical of the catholic church.

a disgrace.

No sex=no AIDS, simply as that.

If they so desperatly want to screw each other,then they shall go ahead and kill themselves.

rolleyes.gif ...typical close-minded, self righteous response...

One almost feels that the Church wants millions to die from aids.......... devil.gif

hmm.gif Honestly, how old are you. Snake...????

Honestly, how old are you. Snake...????

I will answer your question once you have answered mine.

come on how can you preach that?

sex is the most natural thing in the world.

asking people to not have sex is unnatural.

condoms allows them to do thius whilst preventing the spread of aids,

it is the church who must change not them.

Promise?

No, I do not have to have to sex, but it's a great way to relieve stress.

...typical close-minded, self righteous response...

Right.Do they have to have sex

ill answer it.

yes they do.

abstinence is unnatural.

why do u think there are so many catholic priests who are child molestors?

its not a coincidence. repression breeds it.

asking people to not have sex is unnatural.

But asking people to have sex with a condom is natural?

its better than abstinence.

much more natural than that.

provides an excellent MODERN DAY solution to a MODERN DAY problem.

teh problem is that the catholic church lives in a repressed past. and dwindling memebers proves that.

I'm waiting, Snake... original.gif

Another Pope with his finger on the pulse although I have to say that if people listen to him then more fool them.

yes they do.

abstinence is unnatural.

why do u think there are so many catholic priests who are child molestors?

its not a coincidence. repression breeds it.

Abstinence is as natural as sex.

Priests are child molesters?

Of course you have to be weak minded,distorted and unmoral to not have sex with children,right?

Promise?

You got mail.

No, I do not have to have to sex, but it's a great way to relieve stress.

Relieve stress and die or live with it......Now that s a hard choice.

I mean there are million upon millions of africans suffering from AIDS who are catholics.

had the church reformed half if not more would not be dying.

The previous and current popes have so much blood on there hands it isnt true and they have the cheek and audacity to preach to US about how we should live our lives.

they cover up sex abuse scandal after sex abuse scandal then tell us abstinence is the only way.

Abstinence is as natural as sex.

Priests are child molesters?

Of course you have to be weak minded,distorted and unmoral to not have sex with children,right?

how is abstinence natural?

Pro-creation is the most important aspect of life.

did i say all priests are child molestors?

no

did i say that a disproportionate amount of catholic to protestant priests or other faiths are ?

Hell yes

and you would have to be extremely naive to think that teh vow of celibacy has nothing to do with that.

Having sex is so natural its one of our most basic insticts. (excuse the pun)

I have absolutley no idea what the he;ll your talking about.

If you are even slightly hinting what i think you are then your a total disgrace.

sex abuse is the most disgusting thing an adult can do.

I mean there are million upon millions of africans suffering from AIDS who are catholics.

had the church reformed half if not more would not be dying.

The previous and current popes have so much blood on there hands it isnt true and they have the cheek and audacity to preach to US about how we should live our lives.

they cover up sex abuse scandal after sex abuse scandal then tell us abstinence is the only way.

668789[/snapback]

Fully agree, I said all of in the discussion when the new Pope was picked, the Catholic Church has spent more money on out of court settlements on child abuse cases than Micheal Jackson.