Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope rejects condoms for Africa

Talon

The Pope is not forcing anybody to use or not to use condoms. He is just stating that they shouldn't use them. Catholics may follow the Pope word for word, or they may not. Maybe he is abusing his power, many people in the position to do so do. Either way, it is up to the people to decide if they want to have sex or not, and if they want to use a condom or not

erm explain the point of religion then?

if people arent to follow it to the letter then whats the point.

lol catholicism isnt a set guidlines its rules.

673506[/snapback]

depends on who you talk to.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnakeProphet

• Commander CMG

• ames2787

• wunarmdscissor

Some good arguments here yes.gif you do realise that AIDS is also spread by other means than sex?! such as blood transfusions etc also sex, is a natural thing telling anyone to stop doing it is naiive because you know they will anyway! condoms are your only protection thumbsup.gif

No sex=no AIDS, simply as that.

If they so desperatly want to screw each other,then they shall go ahead and kill themselves.

Whah... next time you get sick, dont take medication. If you so desperately want to experience the world instead of living in a bubble, then you shall go ahead and kill yourself. rolleyes.gif

You are the sickest, most twisted person I've met. What is wrong with you? You'd rather they spread AIDS and die rather than give them condoms to help limit the spread of the disease?

AIDS will kill you,no matter what you do.

Driving won t kill you if you are a good driver.

You're kind of using faulty logic there. You should have wrote: "Sex wont kill you if you practice safe sex" or "Getting in a lethal carcrash causing your death will kill you."

If so,then yes it s their own fault.If they know the risk and choose to do it anyway then it s their own fault.

If I get cancer as a result of technology overuse then I wouldn t blame the church for not giving me condoms.

Gee... its their own fault, so lets not try to help them what so ever! Hell, lets not even give them the means of protecting themselves! Lets not even give soldiers the proper equipment so that they can survive longer to save your sorry little ass because if they get killed, its their own fault. rolleyes.gif

+26 pages

Meh, I'm ending it there.

I have a hugely mixed emotional response to the Aids Crisis in Africa and anywhere else.

I do not believe PJPII intended to kill ppl from AIDS - I think he was trying to preach morality and his belief in what is right. He believes in monogamy and no sex before marriage, and no homosexuality. And if everyone followed that moral teaching - Aids would not have been an issue in the first place. Right or Wrong - his theory would work - if Humans were that simple.

However we are not - we are extremely complex in why we do what we do.

Given that - I think all that can be done - is huge amounts of Education sent out there regarding Aids and people will obviously do what they do anyway, but with knowledge they can make better choices.

education is the only hope.

Personally IMO tho, I don't think much of anything we say will matter. Bad sh** happens to good people - all the time.

Tis unfortunately the way.

Aids is just another thing!.

I have to agree with my Country man Stellar here.

Besides if you say its there own fault that is the stupidest thing in the world, its not there fault for spreading the desies. They live in the poorest countrys in the world were many dont even have an education, and manyt more dont even know there infected. The numbers are just ruff estimates.

And if you tell these people not to have sex your also telling them to commite there entire race to suicide.

~Thanato

^ Not that I agree with it, but it would not be their entire race... Just a good chuck of the people.

Condoms are the best change to protect vs HIV (yes, you get HIV from sex not AIDS...) but the thing is to get the people with HIV and AIDS to wear one.

Then you have that huge problem with rapes. A women is raped every three seconds over there...

The pope just doesn't want other people to have sex because 1. he isn't doing to good in that dept. 2. He believe sex outside being married is a sin and 3. He sees condoms as a sin.

the pope needs a good shag!

Oh not again,I thought this thread was closed.

Whah... next time you get sick, dont take medication. If you so desperately want to experience the world instead of living in a bubble, then you shall go ahead and kill yourself.

Would you take medicatioin if your government forbids it?

You are the sickest, most twisted person I've met. What is wrong with you? You'd rather they spread AIDS and die rather than give them condoms to help limit the spread of the disease?

I don't know.You have to have some kind of psychic powers to come to that conclusion,since the post you quoted doesn't suggest it.

You're kind of using faulty logic there. You should have wrote: "Sex wont kill you if you practice safe sex" or "Getting in a lethal carcrash causing your death will kill you."

The difference is,you don't have access to condoms all the time,but you have access to your driving abilites all the time.

Let's assume they would allow condoms,but for some strange reason,they can't be distributed.What are they going to do?

You have telepathy,right?

Since I see no other reason,how you came to that conclusion.You should really take the 1 million,as long as it still available.

Do me a favor, you stop having sex and never reproduce. You'll do the world a favor. As for the people in africa use condoms.

Pope rejects condoms for Africa

The spread of HIV and Aids in Africa should be tackled through fidelity and abstinence and not by condoms, Pope Benedict XVI has said.

Speaking to African bishops at the Vatican, the Pope described HIV/Aids in Africa as a "cruel epidemic".

But he told them: "The traditional teaching of the church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids."

More than 60% of the world's 40m people with HIV live in sub-Saharan Africa.

In South Africa alone, 600-1,000 people are thought to die every day because of Aids.

Pope Benedict, who was elected to succeed John Paul II in April, has already signalled that he will maintain a strictly traditional line on issues including abortion and homosexuality.

Before being elected pope, Benedict served as head of the Vatican's doctrinal office.

These were his first public comments on the issue of Aids/HIV and contraception since taking office.

He was addressing bishops from South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland, Namibia and Lesotho, who had travelled to the Vatican for a routine papal audience.

Some Catholic clergymen have argued that the use of condoms to stem the spread of the disease would be a "lesser of two evils".

The Pope warned that contraception was one of a host of trends contributing to a "breakdown in sexual morality", and church teachings should not be ignored.

"It is of great concern that the fabric of African life, its very source of hope and stability, is threatened by divorce, abortion, prostitution, human trafficking and a contraception mentality," he added.

The virus "seriously threatens the economic and social stability of the continent," the Pope said.

The UN estimates that without new initiatives and greater access to drugs, more than 80 million Africans may die from Aids by 2025 and HIV infections could reach 90 million, or 10% of the continent's population.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...ope/4081276.stm

667569[/snapback]

Why would the Pope do something contrary to his religion which he follows so closely? If I still believe in the Catholic religion as much as I used to I'd say the same thing.

RH - that is exactly the truth- AMEN.

He is only stating what he believes - as for the multitudes that believe in the catholic faith - they have their own choices. He is not mind controlling them. A lot of catholics use condoms and contraceptives !

Anyway - as for HIV in Africa - I think the problems are more political, cultural, etc than the Popes fault.

Would you take medicatioin if your government forbids it?

What does that have to do with anything?

I don't know.You have to have some kind of psychic powers to come to that conclusion,since the post you quoted doesn't suggest it.

You deny that you said they shouldnt get condoms and instead just stop having sex?

The difference is,you don't have access to condoms all the time,but you have access to your driving abilites all the time.

Whats your point?

Hence a reason to help them out by supplying more condoms. Then they could more easily not have sex when they dont have condoms.

Let's assume they would allow condoms,but for some strange reason,they can't be distributed.What are they going to do?

What difference will it make?

Either way, the point IS to DISRTRIBUTE those condoms.

Since I see no other reason,how you came to that conclusion.

You were comparing an action to a negative reaction only. Its logically wrong.

Either way, the point IS to DISRTRIBUTE those condoms.

I don't want to turn this thread into another discussion,so I'll make it short.

It doesn't matter wether you distribute them or not,since they won't listen to you,unless the Pope tells them to.The chance that the pope will change his mind are just as high as the chance that they won't have sex.The difference between abstinence and condoms?There is none,since they are both just as likely to happen.

Do me a favor, you stop having sex and never reproduce. You'll do the world a favor. As for the people in africa use condoms.

Right.

Edited by Snake_6024

the pope needs to sit down,and read a book,or look at how fast aids is spreading all over the world.maybe then,he'll think two times about people using condoms as a way to avoid death,and not repoduction!!!!!!!!!!!! innocent.gifinnocent.gif

the pope needs to sit down,and read a book,or look at how fast aids is spreading all over the world.maybe then,he'll think two times about people using condoms as a way to avoid death,and not repoduction!!!!!!!!!!!! innocent.gif  innocent.gif

684952[/snapback]

Doing so again goes against his beliefs, so why should he?

Really, if people don't want to get aids and avoid death, don't have sex!

I watched a documentary on Aids in America - it is increasing at a rapid rate amongst young people atm. Young Women are contracting it rapidly.

So...... I dont know if it is just Catholics in Africa that are the problem.

What I understand is that condoms are not failsafe either - and ppl still contract the illness regardless.

So yeah I still agree - if you dont want Aids - dont 'f' around!

Cheers.

This thread is like the disease it talks about.You can't get rid of it.Let's see how it will turn out this time...

Oh, and I agree, Rachael(Rachel?) and RH.

Edited by Snake_6024

I watched a documentary on Aids in America - it is increasing at a rapid rate amongst young people atm.  Young Women are contracting it rapidly. 

What I understand is that condoms are not failsafe either - and ppl still contract the illness regardless.

Cheers.

696865[/snapback]

Protected sex is still a better deterrent to un-protected sex in the fight against Aids and this discussion ias not about chosing to have or not have sex, it is about the Pope and his ridiculous church telling the followers that they should have protected sex with the use of condoms.

I watched a documentary on Aids in America - it is increasing at a rapid rate amongst young people atm.  Young Women are contracting it rapidly. 

Cheers.

696865[/snapback]

Protected sex is still a better deterrent to un-protected sex in the fight against Aids and this discussion ias not about chosing to have or not have sex, it is about the Pope and his ridiculous church telling the followers that they should have protected sex with the use of condoms.

697324[/snapback]

The Pope is perceived by these follows as a 'father' figure does a father say kids screw around just stick a condom on first.

Or does a father say what he believes to be true.

This Pope - father of the church is teaching his 'children' what he believes to be true.

You can't blame nor expect a leader of a religion to go against what he believes and teaches - just because his naughter children are rebelling.

His theory would work in a ideal situation - and that is what religion is - idealism.

HELLO!

hmm.gif

Edited by Rachael

Religion at this level in not an idealism... it is dictatorship, the pope has blood on his hands and is killing people with his ridiculous believes.

Disease and death existed before the Catholic Church and the previous Pope.

I understand your need to blame - humans always tend to need to blame someone or something for bad sh**.

But all emotion aside.

If you really think about it - these africans have brains (dont they) they have survival instincts etc.

There welfare and life is their responsibility - they choose to blindly follow - no one is holding them hostage to.

But if you do your research it is the Catholic townships in AFrica that have the least amount of Aids victims and HIV carriers. So perhaps it is not all bad.

You are just enjoying blaming.

Get over it - wont help anyone any.

Cheers

I won't repeat myself on this go back to the beginning of this Thread this as all been discussed before.

Have you ever been to Africa? as for them having brains, yes they do but the only education many of them get is from the Church.

I don't enjoy blaming do a basic search on the internet on effects the church have on this stance against protected sex.

Read previous posts before jumping with comments that have been covered.

Edited by XSAS

I won't repeat myself on this go back to the beginning of this Thread this as all been discussed before.

Have you ever been to Africa? as for them having brains, yes they do but the only education many of them get is from the Church.

I don't enjoy blaming do a basic search on the internet on effects the church have on this stance against protected sex.

Read previous posts before jumping with comments that have been covered.

697347[/snapback]

Okay - I am not going to read back 29 pages - but if it has all been discussed and the conclusion is that the church is to blame - who am I to argue.

You are completely right. no.gif

Personally with or without an education and as a child I have always made my own choices and lived with the consequences - and dont blame anything but 'Life Is' and 'crap happens'

Apart from that .... zip

Cheers.

This must be one of the hardest decicions anyone would have to make in their life.

The Pope is sticking to his beliefes ,the same beliefes hehas had since comming into the fatherhood many moons ago,how hard must it be to turn around everything you have been taught from people you looked up to and idolised.

On the other hand it seems to be exepted in the catholic church to molest and bugger young lads on many occasions ,did the fatherhood wear condoms when doing their disgusting acts,i think not

Know would be the time for this new pope to take a stance and who knows he may even get more people back into church instead of leaving in droves