Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sperm Whale versus any living thing

Paulwhale

Hi all, first of all I would like to share with you important information about sperm whale's size: in Nantucket museum there is 5,5 meters sperm whale jawbone, jaw makes about 20% of whale's length, so this whale was about 27,5 meters long, now about it's weight, whalers told everybody that sperm whales weighed a ton a foot, but nobody belived them, until japanese whalers made this: here is a explanation of weight of sperm whales, made by japanese whalers, as you know they were hunting sperm whales very extensively, so, the yare very reliable, most reliable I'd say, so here it is:

30 feet - 6,82 tons

5 tons difference

35 feet - 11,14 tons

6 tons difference (+1 ton)

40 feet - 17,03 tons

7 tons difference (+1 ton)

45 feet - 24,77 tons

10 tons difference (+3 tons)

50 feet - 34,36 tons

12 tons difference (+2 tons)

55 feet - 46,89 tons

if we continue to our 27,5 or 88 foot largest known bull, we will have:

14 tons difference (+2 tons)

60 feet - 60 tons (whaler's a ton a foot)

16 tons difference(+2 tons)

65 feet - 76 tons

18 tons difference (+2 tons)

70 feet - 94 tons difference (this is about 21 meters, russian whalers mention that there were very old very big 100 tons males at 21 meters in 18-19 century look for "Reference" in the end of the passage)

20 tons difference (+2 tons)

75 feet - 114 meters

22 tons difference (+2 tons)

80 feet - 136 tons

24 tons difference (+2 tons)

85 feet - 160 tons, but that maybe too much, so let's take 150 tons.

Why so big? because when a whale gets bigger, he also get's thicker and wider, so weight increases with the matter of 3.

In "The book of whales" by Richard Ellis from which I took this, there is also a passage about whaleship that said the ytook a sperm whale who had 8,5 meters jaw, the whale therefore would be 140 feet (43 meters) and would weigh 400 tons , which is exageration, I think but who knows? Maybe guys were right, but most likely they weren't.

Now about it's weapon, his ram-head. The structure of head is so, that it is not important for sperm whale, how strong will be the strike he will deliver, he will not feel anything, because there are no bones, most of it's head is fat and muscles, you want evedense on this? here you are, I will numerate the examples, I will not say anything about poor whaleship Essex with wooden hull, which could not possibly resist such a strike, I will go directly to metal hull ships and vessels, which were sunk or strongly damaged by this creatures:

1. The most renowned accident, russian whaleship "Enthusiast", 1947, Comodor Islands, Far East, Russia, sperm whale of 17 emters charges once and the result is: teared off propeller, damaged hull, and bended propeller shaft, the whale himself received only a skratch on his "forehead", very good heh?

2. American nuclear submarine "Seadragon" was atacked during maneurs in 1960's and it resulted in dent in left side of the hull and teared off propeller, just to remind you people submarines have hulls made of titanium, the reason for attack was said to be that whale was submerging from depth where he hunts squids.

3. Norway whaler "Durei" wa attacked by sperm whale in 1963 was attacked by whale, got a hole in a hull and submerged.

4. My favourite: Japanese TANKER "Iocho-Maru" got a huge hole in his hull, 10000 tons of oil flew out, he was in the area of ocean where there were no shoal, then someone proposed a version that it crushed with submarine, but experts declined this theory, so, experts said that most evident answer is that whale shark attacked tanker (whale shark, or Rhincodon typus, reaches weight of about 20 tons, sometimes 13 meters long), usually this fish is calm animal, but sometimes attacks, scientists said, so, 20 tons shark teared the hull of tanker, what could 150 tons sperm whale do? MUCH more damage, just to remind you guys, aircraft-carriers have hull 200 mm thick near water-line (20 cm) which is a foil for big sperm whale, tanker obviously have less, because aircraft-carriers have armor, tankers sometimes break apart in the ocean, because of too much weight and not thick hull.

If whale shark can sunk tanker, sperm whale of 150 tons can definitely sunk it, or any other ship, as tankers are largest ships.

His second weapon: SONAR. Using his sonar sperm whale identifies his prey and ,according to some scientists, stuns it, so, sperm whale with the help of sonar will identify the position of prey, size and destination, and maybe stun it. Sperm whale is a world record holder of many records, one of which is: loudest sound in the world is produced by sperm whale.

His armor and second world record, his skin, which is the thickest in animal kingdom, and on his back reaches 14 inches (38 cm). Under his skin he has 12 inch layer of fat.

And finally, his jaw, which has world record teeth, 11 inches, weighing 3,8 kg each, sperm whale is largest toothed creature that inhabited the earth.

Last question arises: Why are there no such bulls now? The answer is simple, as spwerm whales were intensively hunted, plus largest bulls were in biggest danger, because they had more spermaceti oil in their heads, so, that's why average weight and size of these whales is so much reduced.

So, finally guys, do you still think there is any animal that can bring down a 150 tons sperm whale? I don't think so.

Reference (These are places I took info from) :

Structure of head: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...111/ai_91040468

5,5 meters jaw: http://www.nha.org/libcontact.html (if you don't belive me, write a letter asking what is the largest sperm whale jawbone they have)

Sperm whale versus "Iocho maru", "Durei", "Enthusiast", "Seadragon": 13 April, 2002 "Courier (Brooklyn)". It's a magazine.

Whale's weights at different lengths, Sonar: "The book of whales" by Richard Ellis.

Thank you.

Paul.

Edited by Paulwhale

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulwhale

• Wedge

• dipaolo13

• charnelhound

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nevermind

Welcome to the forums.

Edited by Jeremy_Rumbolt

So...how did the sperm what get it's name? huh.gif

Keep it clean by the way...we are in mixed company...

So, finally guys, do you still think there is any animal that can bring down a 150 tons sperm whale? I don't think so.

Yes. Man. And maybe colossal squid.

Edited by dipaolo13

667860[/snapback]

Agreed.

Maybe also a blue whale?

667860[/snapback]

One thing for you, my friend squid NEVER will kill sperm whale, 150 tons sperm whale will tear any squid to shreds, plus I didn't mean man, If you want man, ok, but it is gonna be FAIR fight, man, without any weapon, without clothes, without his ships and everything goes in a FAIR fight versus sperm whale, ships and everything will of course kill sper, whale, though it can sunk any ship, but military ships have all these rockets, of course they will kill sperm whale at distance, however it will sunk any ship if it will get close and from the side, not head to head.

Thank you for welcoming me to forums.

667860[/snapback]

Agreed.

Maybe also a blue whale?

667864[/snapback]

Ok for you, my friend explain me, how will 200 tons blue whale kill 150 tons sperm whale, simply explain to stupid Paul, what will blue whale do?

Sorry for second post, I forgot about edit buton.

Edited by Paulwhale

I disagree. I giant squid with big tenticles would be able to wrap around the whale and put of a damn good fight.

1 word for you my friend, torpedo!

1 word for you my friend, torpedo!

667872[/snapback]

All of the living torpedos.......................

So...how did the sperm what get it's name?  huh.gif

Keep it clean by the way...we are in mixed company...

667854[/snapback]

cause sailors thought the oil in its head was sperm cause it was coloured white or something, or the sperm whale just some how resembled a mans private spot xD

do you think a great white shark will do an lot of damage or maybe an megladon?

667914[/snapback]

great white shark will not and never could do that much damage, niether can a megalodon, cause megalodons head aint as strong as a sperm whales head

Nice info, And welcome to the forums.

It seems the sperm whale is quite the fighter. But i believe their are things out theer that kill it.

I can think of a few things ... but.. i think of these because they are known for their viciousness. Hince: Sharks.. and maybe even squid.

A common misconception is that Giant Squids hunt Sperm Whales.

This is completely false and opposite. The natural predator of the Giant/Colossal Squid is actually the Sperm Whale. Hundreds of thousands of Giant Squid beaks are found within the bellies of beached Sperm Whale carcasses. Sometimes they put up a fight, as can be seen by scratch/sucker marks on the flesh of the Whale. But never will a Squid be able to kill a whale.

That's like saying a sparrow can kill a cat. It may hurt the cat when it is caught but it, but the cat will make swift work of devouring it.

The sperm whale is believed to have only one natural enemy: the giant squid. It is questionable, though, if even the largest squid would risk attacking an adult sperm whale. Giant squid and sperm whales have been observed in mortal combat, but it is difficult to say who was the original aggressor. Typically the squid will try to strangle the whale with its tentacles as the whale tries to eat the squid whole.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DG

If the whale is trying to eat the squid, obviously the whale is the squids predator. laugh.gif

I agree. But... Who knows.. there are always those out there, human and animal alike, whos stomachs are sometimes bigger then their eyes.

667860[/snapback]

Yes, I think that might be true:

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/squid.htm

its true giant and colossal squid can kill a sperm whale but only when they strangle it to death, otherwise the squid have no chance

Strangling is only cutting off breathing.

Sperm Whales can hold their breath to dive underwater for hours can they not?

So technically stranging one would do nothing at all unless it's trying to take breath on the surface.

i think its a hour max they can hold thier breath for

Still, underwater strangling is completely useless. Why would you cut off something air, when there is no air to cut off? laugh.gif

tell that to the squid grin2.gif

Still, underwater strangling is completely useless. Why would you cut off something air, when there is no air to cut off? laugh.gif

667973[/snapback]

A whale can hold its breath for so long. Keeping it strangled and unable to go to the surface should be enough to kill it.

Abe.