Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gates Of Hell

JayMark

Reviving an old thread here...

The supposed 7 Gates of Hell are located in Hallam, Pennsylvania, located in York County(about 30 min from Harrisburg maybe). I myself live in Lancaster, the next county east from York, and last night 5 of my friends and I went looking for these 7 Gates of Hell. The Gates themselves are actually the Gates to the insane asylum to keep intruders out, and the nutcases in. However, last night we were looking for Toad Road and never found it. So we stopped at a local gas station off of the main highway and as soon as I asked the clerk for directions for Toad Road, she told me the 7 Gates of Hell don't exist, now I figured she was lying to me already when I hadn't even mentioned them to her. And when I asked her what they were (just to get a little info out of her) she told me they were fictitious and some ghost story. Yet when I asked her what the story was she couldn't tell me. And apparently she knew the man who lives back there but she didn't even know how to get to Toad Road.

According to a post made on the first page of the thread, Toad Road is now Trout Run Road. When I saw that, I was shocked, because we actually found Trout Run Road and pulled onto that because we followed this lady's directions that led us here, instead of Toad Road. It was a very narrow back road, with no road signed on markings on the pavement. And after about a mile or two, the pavement ended and put us on a gravel road. There were plenty of private drives and all, and we actually saw a couple places with gates that we could clearly see, more modern gates to keep cars out however. And at one point we actually saw a little clearing in the woods that we could drive down, but chose not to because of the 3ft tall grass, and the fact that it was probably the spookiest looking drive I've ever seen. With trees very low over top and no sign of civilization. The entire woods where the 7 Gates could possibly be, was Posted with No Tresspassing signs stating that it is a patrolled area.

Many people in my area know about this place, and I know a few have gone there. And apparently they've taken down the fences along the main road to the insane asylum, which according to eyewitnesses were about 8 feet or so that you had to climb over. Supposedly the gates themselves are still there as well as the insane asylum, however; I myself cannot tell you whether or not they are because I did not venture out into the woods. I had no idea this place was right under my nose (we were on Trout Run Road, NOT Toad Road like the legend says it's off of. Could they possibly have changed the name to keep others out? who knows) and now that I have actually located it, and have been right outside, I plan to venture back over to the next county within the week and report back to you all of my accounts.

Yeah. They changed the name of the road. >.< I want more info on the burned down building. I want to see it myself with a few friends of mine.

Nice story.

It is an old urban legend that just about every town has; I don't think that I have ever lived in a place where there wasn't a legend of "The Gates of Hell<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'></span>"in some town that was nearby enough to be familiar, but not so close as to be someplace that was often visited.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that there are no physical gates of hell anywhere in this world.

There are gates to hell in a human sense...Folks that refuse to learn from their mistakes and live on the edge of poverty and misery...folks that get into drugs and the lifestyle that goes with drugs...folks with mental illness that refuse to get help...

There are a lot of ways to go to hell, but none of them are physical...

There isn't a "Gates of Hell" here in Oklahoma.

There are 7 separate gates, Banana.

Hell is not an actual geographic spot beneath our feet’s - hell is a metaphor for existence without the presence of God. The kind of existence, demons and those who will not have anything to do with God, will experience after judgement day.

So the only place there is a gate to hell, is in a persons mind.

Somebody has been dipping deep into the necroposts again!

Nonetheless, I think there is a "gate of hell" kind of place in most every state. Here in Sowega, we have several gates. Then a place called hell, a place called the witch towers, the castle, Pirates cove, the brdge, Batts Lane, the Stone Gardens, etc. Most of them are kind of out of the way type places and I think that for the most part they were at one time "lovers lane" kind of places. Sub-urban encroachment has all but demystified most of them now.

• 4 weeks later...

There's also the legend of Rehmeyer's Hollow

iv heard of these before, why would a car chase someone down a hill, it seems more like that phantom bus that iv read about, apparently some phantom bus used to appear on a highway going the wrong way, it caused a few accidents until some people actually died and crashed into a wall, that was later removed, the bus was never seen again.

iv heard of these before, why would a car chase someone down a hill, it seems more like that phantom bus that iv read about, apparently some phantom bus used to appear on a highway going the wrong way, it caused a few accidents until some people actually died and crashed into a wall, that was later removed, the bus was never seen again.

Well this story is worth starting a separate thread, would you please provide a link for it?

I'm amazed that no one has posted a link to Weird NJ! Well, here it is http://www.weirdnj.com/

They mention like 20 different Gates of hell haha!

Btw, has someone read that story written by Edgar Allan Poe ( I think) or maybe it was Lovecraft? About that guy who goes through a tunnel down to Hell and he was communicating with his friend through a radio? THAT WAS DARN SCARY, especially since when I first read it I thought it was true! :no:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! Sorry to dig up the past but I am an independent film maker and am currently involved in preproduction of a film that has to do with the Seven Gates in York PA. The title is The Seventh Gate. It is based on the rumors and urban legends that I have read about for the past five years all in and around the central Pennsylvania area. I will attempt to give you guys a quick synopsis. The story begins with a man in his early 20’s researching it online, I might actually use screen images of this forum but I would have to get permission from the authors first, so that is still up in the air. After researching a bit he starts to gather some friends to go find the gates. They wind up getting into the area climbing a fence only to be stopped by the local police. The attempt to go back again this time finding an “off road” way to drive closer, they see what looks like a broken down gate when they get chased out by some kind of a jeep like vehicle which chases them all the way down the road until the “lose it”. At this point the group is ready to give up, they assume the jeep is another police vehicle and that the story is BS. Well our main character is determined. He goes back alone, but prepared. He has reads everything he can on the legend and goes back. He sneaks past the fence, passes gate one when he hears fast moving foot steps…. Growling and sees two Dobermans running towards him, terrified he reaches in his pocket grabs some pepper spray and sprays the dogs. They yelp and whimper away, now he is confused…. He thought the dogs where “ghosts” his interest now peaked he continues passing gate two. He notices strange fog like things in front of him that are continuously appearing and disappearing. He moves in closer and sees that when one appears the leaves below it move…. Terrified but also curious he runs full force toward one of the fogs and steps on the leaves…. The fog disappears… It winds up to be some kind of gas vent or something. Continuing past gate 3 he continues to see these vents, until he reaches gate 4 at which point he notices on the trees video cameras… what are they for? He sneaks past the camera and sees what looks like another gate but on this gate there is a sign….. US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY – KEEP OUT. Well obviously he does not. He sees parked near some shrubs that same jeep that chased them away the last time and two soldiers in camo peering through binoculars looking in his direction. He hides, when it is clear he sneaks to what looks like a man hole which is open. He sneaks down the man hole and finds a massive tunnel with train tracks that lead in both directions. There is a hand cart on the rails and as fast as he can push he starts off in one direction, pumping the hand cart as fast as he can. He starts moving faster and faster until he reaches a bump in the track and the cart starts to move by itself faster and faster… he feels like his is moving at about 100 miles an hour. Looking at his watch he notices about 40 minutes goes by and another bump and the cart stops moving. He sees a ladder up ahead and moves toward it. He climbs the ladder and opens the hatch. He heads into a room that looks like the operating room of a hospital. He sees an elevator and runs to it and presses the L. He is not terrified because he does not know where he is. The elevator stops at L and he walks off and finds that he is in a regular hospital. He walks around a bit and sees the sign…. Harrisburg Hospital… why is there a tunnel from York to Harrisburg…. If he went north…. What is in the other direction? Why at the 5th gate is there a sign the says Government Property, What about the cameras and the jeep with the soldiers….. well hopefully I have peaked your interest and not bored you to death. As I complete this film I will keep you all posted. My telling of the story is not nearly as good as the actual screen play so hang in there. I’m sure I explained it wrong in some way so please give this film a chance. Thanks!

why would there be a physical element on earth just to 'reach' an astral plane,it doesnt make any logic :huh:

why would there be a physical element on earth just to 'reach' an astral plane,it doesnt make any logic :huh:

Rather then thinking of it as something supernatural think of it as gov't cover up. This is actually a rumor from some of the locals in York pa. There is supposed to be a Tunnel from Harrisburg Hospital to Aberdeen AFB in Maryland. Nobody could tell me why its there but they said it was built in the 1920's. Obviously this is a rumor in no way could this be proven.

Edited by Jayball

New Jersey has gates of hell,i went and like rocks got thrown at us from the tunnel but hey maybe it wus sum dumb kids trying to spook us of

depends what the concept of "hell" is in this legend. There has been a great misconception of hell in the bible (the talk of suffering and fire). About a year back on the news there was a report of how it was one of the many mistranslations in the bible (just like cinderalla, it wasn't a glass slipper originally it was fur). The actual hell (hades) is nothing more then nothing in actual translation you will die and thats it. The concept of fire and the like came from a place similar to a crematorium where they used to burn the bodies of the deceased called hades.

There was a mixup (what do you expect from a book thats been translation thousands of times over) so hell in the bible is simply dying and going no where. If you think about it Jesus would be quite the hypercrit "accept me as the lords son or burn for ever" that sure wouldnt seem right.

But I think those who get mixed up with the devil he can easily do things that would seem more hellish n maybe take your soul if he so wishes for people who make pacts with him n the like.

depends what the concept of "hell" is in this legend. There has been a great misconception of hell in the bible (the talk of suffering and fire). About a year back on the news there was a report of how it was one of the many mistranslations in the bible (just like cinderalla, it wasn't a glass slipper originally it was fur). The actual hell (hades) is nothing more then nothing in actual translation you will die and thats it. The concept of fire and the like came from a place similar to a crematorium where they used to burn the bodies of the deceased called hades.

There was a mixup (what do you expect from a book thats been translation thousands of times over) so hell in the bible is simply dying and going no where. If you think about it Jesus would be quite the hypercrit "accept me as the lords son or burn for ever" that sure wouldnt seem right.

But I think those who get mixed up with the devil he can easily do things that would seem more hellish n maybe take your soul if he so wishes for people who make pacts with him n the like.

You are correct - According to the right translation of the books witch are the basis for our Bible, hell is an state of "nothingness" away from the presence and love of God.

The idea of eternal fire, originates from a place outside the old Jerusalem, called Gehenna, where trash was burned. There was always fire in that place to consume what was thrown out there.

• 1 month later...
The seven gates of hell! Here is a link about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_gates_of_hell

I live in Lancaster County, PA, it's the neighboring county of York. I myself heard the story numerous times and allthough I drove past Hallam on route 30 quite a lot I've never gone there. The problem is that the hospital supposedly burned down. But who knows if it's true or simply an urban legend. Then again, there is a piece of truth to every legend, isn't there? :devil:

Hello, I am a guest on this site but seeing as it is getting close to halloween here is my details on the subject. 2 years ago we had tryed to find the seven gates in Hellam we gave up. Well just last night we realized we lived only a couple miles up the road and had gone to school only a couple miles up the road from them. It was very easy to find our way to Trout Run Road. We had two cars, well technically one truck and one car, in the truck it was myself, my friend brett, and my friend andy, in the car it was my fiance and his three friends from work. Me being the only female among six men. Well as you have heard, yes it is true the first gate is very visible from the road, as a matter of fact the first curb you come to there it is. Proud for all to see as if it wants you to come in for the ride. So we parked our cars, got out all of our flashlights and went through the first gate. Here is also a truth behind the things you have heard, they have torn the rest of the gates which we have always thought to be trees and by the tress are posts that look like fences/gates were once upon a time there. We didnt travel far back because we are not ones to get ourselfs into trouble and because my one friend had gone there two days before us and got fined for being on the property. However when you get farther past the first gate it is true all external sounds seems to disappear, and its practically dead quiet, as for seeing things move around all we caught were deer who over the years have made this place their nesting grounds. As for the building still being there that I am not sure of but I would have very much liked to see it myself because I am a historically fascinated person and I love the history and Legends behind the old place. So whether it was a mental hospital or just an old building , I would have liked to discover it. But as you said and as I have been told the government and local forest patrollers have been tearing it down bits by bits because of teenagers who decide to get stoned and or drunk before they go to find the place. Which in my opinion is a bad idea because being under the influence of something just ruins it because then you do get paranoid. So I wouldnt suggest visting if you are afraid of getting in trouble because now that its getting close to halloween they are watching the place and have recently built a house very close to the gates to the right of it in fact and someone does live there. I enjoyed my trip to finding it, was dissapointed that the rest of the gates except number one have been lost to either them tearing em down and the forest reclaiming its rightful land back. If anyone has questions please feel free to im me sometime at innocentnsexy22 or email me at innocentnsexy22@aol.com Id be glad to tell you more about it because we were there for like 2 to three hours and i took pictures with my digital camera.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i found this site and just wanted to say its all fake last night me and my 2 friends went finding the gates was easy when we got there we saw some people running out of the woods screaming we stopped them and they said dont go in there they had gotten to the end and heard screams and stuff started flying at them. we didnt drive an hour for nothing so we asked what trails to follow and so on the 1st red gate is really there so we got on the trail we passed several large stone that we thought used to be a wall but they were just boulders teenagers spray painted on in the 70s i no this cuz they left dates lol after an hour and a half of walking we came to a large opening after looking around a bit we realized it was a pipeline so we kept going but after walking 5 more minutes the trail broke up into 20-30 tiny deer trails we didnt want to get lost so we turned around. there were no other gates and other than a small trail that you have to walk singlefile on theres no way anything is back there and even if there was at night you would get lost in that thick stuff we heard nothing and saw nothing other than bright eyes in trees from hunters i was very dissapointed does anyone know any other good haunted places in pa to investigate?

UPDATE... i used google satelite to look at the area where we walked and there isnt a sigle open area near the "gates" i believe there was never even a mental intitution there it shows no rubble or anything and where we stoped we were probly a 5 minutes walk from hitting a road also online i couldnt find any credible source saying there was ever a mental hospital in york let alone a fire at one and hundreds of prisoners escaping you would think it would be posted somewhere as a major tragety

Edited by purple haze

I grew up in south Georgia, our "Gates of Hell" actually happens to be an abandoned section of railroad tracks. But I would be interested in hearing more about this one. It sounds like a portal has been opened in association with each gate. The dark guardsmen ( so to speak ) seems to have served two purposes, once upon a time. The first ( during the time in which it was open ) to keep patients in, in one form or another. The second, being to keep interlopers and the curious out.

That is my take on it. It would be great to be able to get a team together and check it out at some point, but it definately wouldn't be for the faint of heart.

TruBeliever

Rather then thinking of it as something supernatural think of it as gov't cover up. This is actually a rumor from some of the locals in York pa. There is supposed to be a Tunnel from Harrisburg Hospital to Aberdeen AFB in Maryland. Nobody could tell me why its there but they said it was built in the 1920's. Obviously this is a rumor in no way could this be proven.

I was stationed at the Naval Air Station at Lexington Park Maryland, it is about an hour south of Baltimore/Aberdeen area. I used to make frequent trips to that area. The rumor of the tunnel was widely known. I seem to remember that there was an article about a man who allegedly found the entrance on the Aberdeen side. But as astonishing as the claim was, it was never seemingly followed up on. It would be neat to see if there were any articles that could be found in past additions of the Baltimore newspaper. I heard this claim around about the mid 1980's... If memory serves it would have been around 1984-1985.

Tru

• 7 months later...

i am from newberry town pa which is 30 mins from york we all went for a trip to trout run road and could not find the 7 gates of hell we searched the entire woods for 4 hours and even got lost the woods were creepy but no gates were found i have many friends who say they have been there but i also did research on the myth of the hospital and there are no records of one ever being there and there are no news paper articles about it either so i dont know

I've looked into two of the better known "gates of hell" the one in Stull Cemetery in Kansas and Spider Gates Cemetery in MA. My personal conclusion is that its just so much bs. Getting into Hell is easy and the only ones who can leave with impuntiy are demons. They don't need gates, and vortexs they enter where they choose. While I didn't directly investigate(just checked the lore) either site a very good freind of mine, investigator John Zaffis, has gone to spider gates and he also consider the stories mythjcal.

I actually just read this long article on Stull Cemetery in Kansas & alot of people believe that these are the gates of hell, including the Vatican. Supposedly one of the popes a few years back was flying to California & asked the pilot to go around Kansas because he didnt want to fly over Stull Cemetery. When I find the link to that I'll post it.

well... I pressed your link and read ALL the forum answers... sigh there was like 300, some very long and some very short. I wanted to set in a answer but they toke it as "spam" ... wtf ? but then i copy the answer and put it in here to show you my meaning about this **** ;)

I actually believed in the Seven Gates of Hell when i read the story...

Then I started to read the forum messages, and it is obvious that it is bull when people say sh** like "Me and a couple friends visit it and climbed to the 5th gate, until we saw a man running with a chainsaw towards us blablabla..." Why? WHY is people so ****ed up, i guess to or three people out of four hundred would have visited this place in real life... They say NOTHING! about a fire on Toad Road or Troat Run Road on the internet!

They say NOTHING about a mental hospital on Toad/Troat Run Road on the internet! I have asked several people who "have visited" the place in the past, and they "dont remember" the exact way to the "Seven Gates of Hell". This is one URBAN LEGEND! URBAN LEGEND! You hear me? URBAN LEGEND! There havent even existed such as a "Brain wash" machine or a microwave "Mind Control" machine! By the way... Microwave. Thats what you warm up coffee with if you are thirsty. The story about The Seven Gates of Hell is bull!!!

I doubt anyone passing through the first gate would be coming back any time soon. To see the second gate you would have to go through the first gate. To see the 7th gate well.........I doubt anyone would live to report that one. So bearing in mind no one would be coming back after seeing the second gate how could such a legend actualy be real. Now if they said there is this one gate that leads to hell then fine, almost believable. I would think hell is a state of existance rather than a place. It is highly likely that the spiritual world and real world are the same thing just opperating on different frequencies so they almost never interact at times things cause them to come into harmony. Harmonics.