Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A frog found inside a geode rock

mr_dpss

[attachmentid=15594]

This mummified corpse of a frog was found in a hollow flint 'geode' which was

cracked open in 1899 by workmen in a quarry in England. There have been many

reports of frogs found inside rocks; some still living in a kind of stupor but which

revived once exposed to the air.

In 1910 a living toad was found when a piece of coal was broken open; another was

found in 1906 six feet (2 m) underground in a solid layer of clay. The most commonly

found seem to be stuck in limestone.

Some frogs have been found with the impression of their bodies so tightly jammed

against the rock 'pocket' that even the skin's crackles can be seen imprinted on the

sides of their frog-shaped hole --meaning the rock formed around them somehow.

post-16969-1118602083_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marduk

• The Roswell Man

• aquatus1

• DJ_Quinn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 'logical' explanation that as a baby, the frog crawled into the stone through a hole to get at insects or whatever, gobbled them all up and couldn't get back out...

The 'logical' explanation that as a baby, the frog crawled into the stone through a hole to get at insects or whatever, gobbled them all up and couldn't get back out...

671715[/snapback]

I agree with you I have read about it in a mystery book. thumbsup.gif

671715[/snapback]

but this rock has no holes

i dont think so, i mean, how would a frog get into a place such as a rock, in the first place, being a baby frog aside, there is no way to get into a solid rock!

I once read somewhere that in the 1800s (I think) some miners (in Germany I think) broke open a new vein of coal and out flopped a living pterodactyl. It died pretty quickly apparently. I wonder what happened to the body, or is the story a load of dingo's kidneys? original.gif

671715[/snapback]

but this rock has no holes

671730[/snapback]

how do you know? It's broken.

i dont think so, i mean, how would a frog get into a place such as a rock, in the first place, being a baby frog aside, there is no way to get into a solid rock!

671732[/snapback]

Again, how do you know it was a solid rock? Animals don't need big, gaping holes to squeeze into places.

What other explanation could there be? That the frog 'beamed' itself into the rock?

During the winter months frogs hybernate. They usually find a muddy place for protection to bury themselves in. Their metabolism slows waaaayyy down. Kind of like a bear and other hybernating creatures.

I'm guessing that these frogs found in rocks either got trapped somehow, didn't do it right, or were too lazy to get out of their slow metabolism. Which could explain why some frogs are found alive, but sluggish.

Cool find! original.gif

Edited by Cendari

Well, a few thousand years ago, there was this great world-wide flood in which every single living creature was killed. This flood threw around a lot of sediment and a lot of animals got buried. That is why you find animals in coal, rock geodes, but most turned to oil. tongue.gif

Well, a few thousand years ago, there was this great world-wide flood in which every single living creature was killed.  This flood threw around a lot of sediment and a lot of animals got buried.  That is why you find animals in coal, rock geodes, but most turned to oil. tongue.gif

672055[/snapback]

Ah right...

*backs away from the conversation slooowwwly*

original.gif

Saucy I just love your signature.........Darwinism nourishing truth.............it's brilliant thumbsup.gif

come on, everybody knows it doesn't take forever to make a rock. original.gif people thought it took millions and millions of years to make crystals, but i can make yummy crystal candy grin2.gif. people thought it took millions and millions of years to make petrified wood, but it only takes a few decades. so these rocks probably took about 30-40 years to make, maybe longer.

Or we could try the more obvious...

The geode was broken open, and a handy dead toad was PLACED in it by someone trying to make some money by selling/showing a curiosity.

Any chance we could get a cite for that pterodactyl situation? I doubt this happened, or it would be VERY well known - and any number of groups would have jumped on it as "Proof" that their ideas were true. Instead, we have a rumor of an innuendo.

And I would advise you all to google on how a geode forms... it provides ample evidence that there would be no chance of a critter being sealed inside.

I'm not sure about the authenticity of the pterodactyl story but there are way too many cases where insects and frogs have been found alive inside completely surrounded air pockets in rocks, and all of them cannot be discounted as fake. Workers in the quarry believe it is a very common occurence.

I believe these frogs and other insects are born inside the air pockets in the rocks. They enter when they are as small as a tadpole through some small opening of the rock which gradually closes down as the rock begins to form. I think the rocks that they are generally found inside are porus in nature, allowing the frog to breathe. Btw, frogs can also breathe through their skin. I think they live on some kind of bacteria and fungi which develops inside the moist rocks.

Just my two cents.

Something real and mysterious is going on here. I love these stories because no one has a convincing explanation of how this phenomenon may have occured, other than the nebulous "its a hoax", or "the baby frog crawled in before the geocite sealed up".

http://paranormal.about.com/od/earthmysteries/a/aa011704.htm

The pterodactyl story first appeared in a book by Charles Berlitz.

nuff said

the frog is like any other animal.

it's taken millions of years to evolve to its current state.

if this frog had been in the geode since its formation it would be an exctinct species

It isn't

that leaves three options

1) it crawled in through a hole when it was small

2) it's a hoax

3) The theory of evolution is wrong and there is a god who sent a flood

Who's for 1 ?

w00t.gif

Obviously number 1 is the most logical explanation, although there appears to be cases where the reptiles where enclosed in formations without fissure or holes.

BTW, you left out a 4th option:

4: They were put there by greys as part of their animal mutilation experiments.

Frogs are amphibians, not reptiles...  tongue.gif

672899[/snapback]

Doooooooooope!

I knew that too. My mistake.

BTW, I thought the pterodactyl story was a wind up until I read it on the link I posted.

Yeah I heard about this (and actually saw) this on a documentary. Wierd. Haven't heard of any real explanation for why it occurs though - or...how they survive in there without food.......especially if you assume it crawled in there when it was 'as small as a tadpole'. In order to grow you need food.

And Marduk, option 3 there is looking real good.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

Yeah I heard about this (and actually saw) this on a documentary. Wierd. Haven't heard of any real explanation for why it occurs though - or...how they survive in there without food.......especially if you assume it crawled in there when it was 'as small as a tadpole'. In order to grow you need food.

And Marduk, option 3 there is looking real good.

672950[/snapback]

I put that option in just for you Ashley,

Fairs fair

grin2.gif

What about the aliens?