Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Missing link' between madness and genius

UM-Bot

news icon rGenius cannot exist without mental disorder, according to a study that names George Orwell, LS Lowry and Lewis Carroll among 21 artists who suffered a form of autism. The psychiatric portrait of some of the most imaginative minds in history claims to prove the link between madness and greatness.

Beethoven, Mozart, Hans Christian Andersen and Immanuel Kant are among the musicians, writers, painters and philosophers who have been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Telegraph

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• __Kratos__

• Cebrakon

• nou

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how we label it a disorder, when they are brilliant, and actually change the world. Supposedly a disorder that effects social standings but not intellect? I tend to think that some people just prefer the company of themselves apposed to the company of others. I am kind of divided on this subject, it could hold credibility but I am not sure, there are so many things we do not know about the human mind.

alien.gif Finding people of more than average intellect to converse with is a problem all Geniuses contend with. They think on levels that the average Joe cares little about.

I have been fortunate to meet some of these people that others call ODD, Geeky, or WEIRD. One attempted suicide( because he was lonely) but was saved by smoking the "KILLER WEED".

And of course my wife has a Mental Disorder, ( NO Genius THERE!) that some find hard to understand. So I think there is more than just a bad Gene making you a Genius! no.gif

laugh.gif

"Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence!"

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line!"

I have both of those quotes hanging up in this room, reminds me to think outside the box, go always a little further and not get stuck up in popular belief. original.gif

• 2 weeks later...
It's funny how we label it a disorder, when they are brilliant, and actually change the world. Supposedly a disorder that effects social standings but not intellect? I tend to think that some people just prefer the company of themselves apposed to the company of others. I am kind of divided on this subject, it could hold credibility but I am not sure, there are so many things we do not know about the human mind.

673698[/snapback]

ph34r.gif I do not think we can call the people with Asperger's "sufferers" since they are perfectly happy with their own thoughts, and prefer solitude. In other words, they are not suffering, and would not change if you gave them the opportunity. They say Stephen Hawking is like that.