Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge Mystery Flashes Seen In Outer Atmosphere

Magikman

Cloud-to-Earth lightning bolts are a well-known natural electrical occurrence. Now scientists have discovered and photographed for the first time enormous, 90-kilometer-high (55-mile), luminous, electric discharges that deliver large quantities of current from thunderstorms to the edges of the Earth's atmosphere.

The flashes, described in a letter published in the current issue of the journal Nature, is believed to be a type of phenomenon known by atmospheric physicists as a "transient luminous event."

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: National Geographic

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• dust19

• Starlyte

• antares

Top Posters In This Topic

Magikman, I thing this article is about the "sprite" phenomenon, somethimes it's called "red sprite", somethimes "blue jet".

Ditto what dust19 says. I had no idea such things exisited. We had major thunderstorms here last night. I wonder how many of these beauties were dancing around in the clouds above my head? Beautiful pictures and great article. Thanks Magikman! grin2.gif

Posted this one earlier today.

WaW w00t.gif

I wish to see one of those ... grin2.gif

But maybe it is very hard to take it on camera ... because it says that

((since most of the phenomena appear and disappear much too quickly for the human eye to capture))

sad.gif