Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush pledges to aid Africa reform

Talon

Bush pledges to aid Africa reform

US President George W Bush has promised to "work harder and faster" to reward political and economic reform in Africa with American aid.

He said aid would be delivered under an existing programme known as the Millennium Challenge Account - which some critics say is too cumbersome.

Mr Bush spoke after meeting the heads of state of Niger, Namibia, Botswana, Ghana and Mozambique in Washington.

All five states held democratic elections this year.

"I assured the leaders we will work harder and faster... so that MCA [Millennium Challenge Account] countries... can see the benefit of this really important piece of legislation and funding," said Mr Bush.

President Festus Mogae of Botswana said the presidents of Niger and Ghana, Mamadou Tandja and John Kufuor respectively, had complained about the MCA when they met Mr Bush, telling him that "certain things [were] too bureaucratic".

Democracy statement

Mr Bush praised the democratic credentials of his guests, who also included President Armando Guebuza of Mozambique and President Hifikepunye Pohamba of Namibia.

"What a strong statement that these leaders have made about democracy and the importance of democracy on the continent of Africa," he said.

He also hailed the G8 finance ministers' decision to cancel $40bn in poor countries' debt as a boost to "millions of Africans".

The BBC's diplomatic correspondent, Jonathan Marcus, says that Monday's meeting was an opportunity for President Bush to highlight his own particular approach to Africa ahead of the G8 summit next month.

After the 11 September 2001 attacks, the US is keen to avoid new failed states which could host militant networks like al-Qaeda and it also has more than half an eye on the security of African oil reserves, our correspondent says.

These considerations go hand in hand with an emphasis upon good governance and the spread of democratic institutions, he adds.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...ica/4089724.stm

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• __Kratos__

• Talon

• Conspiracy

Top Posters In This Topic

also has more than half an eye on the security of African oil reserves,

thats probably why hes helping

Talon S.,Jun 13 2005, 08:09 PM

He also hailed the G8 finance ministers' decision to cancel $40bn in poor countries' debt as a boost to "millions of Africans".

IMO...What about the millions of Americans that suffer daily? The thousands of homeless that as a result of debt, etc., they ended up on the street? Is he going to cancel whatever debts they owe? I think not... He must really want that oil.... disgust.gif

^ On that same note all the Iraq Vets right now being forced to live on the streets... no.gif Just so damn horrible that they can take war vets that have fought and some even hurt all in the name of this country and throw them out on their butt. It's sad...

I am glad Bush is doing something. This is very important. I wish someone would help our poverty stricken areas here in the states also. sad.gif

I am glad Bush is doing something. This is very important. I wish someone would help our poverty stricken areas here in the states also. sad.gif

675754[/snapback]

We have them as well Babs,but i do have to admit nothing like the pics i see on tv.

Why is it that it always comes on ,hungry kids with bloated bellys and flies all over their mouths when i sit down to my dinner no.gif ,i just make sure i dont waste any as i would feel guilty thrown the scraps away in the bucket

What p***es me off the most, is forgiving foriegn debt....PERIOD....

what would happen to our economy if all working class debt was forgiven?

First off, there would be a huge investment in the IRA and stock market....second, I'd go a buy a few things my family needs...mainly a new vehicle to replace the one that is 10 years old!!!!! the one the insurance company says they cannot pay a loss on, but the one the state and insurance company says I have to insure....what is wrong with this????? big business and politics....

But that is dreaming, the government of this country cares not for the working tax payer, but the few elite that can NOT PAY TAXES because of loopholes in the Tax law...the ones who "feather" the coffers of the elected. Ya know, big business, BANKS and those crooked insurance companies who use any excuse not to pay.

I give up, period...My utilities go up every month, my insurances the same...food, gas and those stupid credit card companies....ya know the ones that can change the agreements of your account without you having a say, ya know the ones who just mail a new disclaimer or change of agreement????? The new bankruptcy laws are geared towards the creditors...bankruptcy was to be a way out of debt for the ones who lost work or income...looks like the government took care of big business again....maybe we all should take care of big business and make them answer to US, the working people!!!!!!

Time for the people of this country to stand together and say bull****! you work for us, not the people of other needy countries...Enough!!!!!!!!

What is more crazy, my water and sewer provider just issued me a notice of a $2.50 surcharge to cover the people who do not pay!!!!! bull****! angry.gif

All Talk

No Action

That's the american way! thumbsup.gif

675754[/snapback]

We have them as well Babs,but i do have to admit nothing like the pics i see on tv.

Why is it that it always comes on ,hungry kids with bloated bellys and flies all over their mouths when i sit down to my dinner no.gif ,i just make sure i dont waste any as i would feel guilty thrown the scraps away in the bucket

675912[/snapback]

I wish those cameramen would give those kids a frikkin sandwich.

Stingy Americans, just giving away 40 BILLION dollars, so so stingy, so so greedy...

They're bad anyway, all they want is oil those stingy Americans... 40 billion, who do we think we are? Nice people? Caring people? It just can't be. It must be the oil. rolleyes.gif Cause everyone knows Americans don't have a heart and eat babies.

Now I'm not talking about the poor who are loafers or drug addicts or criminal. I'm talking about 'the poor' that are down on their luck and are willing to work to get back on top. I wish our country would help these people. sad.gif

What's that saying??..."poverty will always be with us."