Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smart Metals

PurpleStuart

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleStuart

• Althalus

• cerberus

• Saru

Perhaps a real life Terminator would look something like this - not quite Arnold Schwarzennegar but still.

The possibility of a type of armour that morphs itself to fit your body exactly sounds like something out of science fiction, but if this "smart" metal really did exist, such things may actual become reality. It would be interesting to see just what such a metal could be used for in the 21st century household.

;D

Interesting article PS, thanks for the link.

The video they show is quite interesting as well. :)

But I must say a lot of good the armour is if it lets the bullet in first and then heals itself!

But yeah, there are loads of appliactions that this metal alloy would be good for. :D

Tommy

PS,  this is an interesting site,  thanks for posting.  I must agree with Tommy,  in that allowing a bullet to penetrate the armour,  wouldn't be very good for the person inside.  Or,  if the entire suit were to cover a robot,  it would still hurt the circuitry. Although,  it would make for great special effects,  in real life,  not just the movies! That would really blow the enemy's mind!

Take care,

NORA

Well the possibilties are mind blowing to say the least - if this is true then muscles made out of metal would be makable - bringing the SciFi vision of human looking robots into the realms of the possible

Why human looking bots?

Surely Star Trek has been around long enough to convince us all that not only humanoids have intelligence.

I vote we build the household bots in the likeness of Teletubbies. That way we would be certain to go to work every day and never throw a duff sickie.  ;D

And just think of the fun of shooting them on Sunday after luchtime closing.(of the pub, for our non-British compadres)

Just a shame that if they were to look like teletubbies, then no-one would buy them, for that very reason, although there would be lots of little two and three year olds wanting them, and screaming until they do.

It says in the page title, 'Is This Back-engineered Roswell Debris'

surely if it is, then how did the UFO stay broke up, why did it not just form back together again, sibce surely tha aliens were at a more advanced state with it.

Good point. This is, of course, if it is true, which though i have tried have been unable to verify elsewhere. If they have invented this stuff, i don't personally believe it is from Roswell, as i'm not sure i believe in the Roswell incident facinating as it is.

• 6 months later...

has anyone heard of 'plastic memory'? an example is when you crumple your crisp packet, but it always will try to revert to its original shape.a metal that could do this would be amazing, as well as an amazing resource.the alkali earth metals have always fascinated me....  sodium.. a metal that can be cut with a blunt knife, and more amazingly, reacts by 'fizzing' in water.i find it weird that we have sodium in our food chain, when our bodies are mainly composed of water.caesium rules!  ;D :sk

• 4 weeks later...

You are right Cerberus, the alkali metals are fascinating. With reference to sodium in the body, we are talking about two 'forms' of sodium:

The solid form of sodium Na (pure element) is very reactive as it sheds an electron when exposed to water. It then forms an anion Na+ once in water (solution form). The sodium present in our cells is in the Na+ form.

Chemistry is an amazing science........particularly when you consider NaCl (sodium chloride), being ordinary table salt. However in their pure form Na is very reactive and chlorine is a greenish choking gas!  :sm :sm :sm Hope I havn't bored anyone out there  ;D