Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If Jesus was so smart

EmpressV

I just want to know your feelings on this. I have always been under the impression that he learned some of his knowledge from the elder jews. But a lot of his teachings seem to favor far eastern philosophies. The christian bible seems to have left out a significant time frame of his life. Could he have possibly been searching for more answers and made his way to other cultures?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GodsMessenger

• EmpressV

• Something Like Laughter

• Paranoid Android

Well, if you use the scripture as a basis, Jesus was a pretty standard Jew that started thinking for himself and came up with some radical ideas. His education would have been pretty standard for the time, so the only variable is his brain power or his divinity (depending upon your religious convictions).

There is nothing to say that he went elsewhere, but most "free-thinking" religions have very similar tenets, i.e.: The Golden Rule, love and help each other, etcetera.

And, not meaning to be a snot here, but the Bible also does not mention him pooping - does this mean that he didn't have a digestive tract?? Just because the Book doesn't have info on a topic does not mean that a person has to fill in the spaces with oddities - just use some likely conservative guesses to do that.

Hasn't it been suggested he was a member of the Essene sect? The ones who also left us all the Dead Sea Scrolls?

To answer one of your questions, I am a total non believer, don't get me wrong I grew up thinking as a christian. But I like to study the history of the christian bible. There are too many unanswered questions. Christians are so sure about this stuff but yet they aren't concerned about the missing periods of time like his teen years.

We all have our own brain power, so I guess we can all create knowledge as we see it too, is that what you're saying?

Another thing, during the time he lived, people were trying to search for other ways of viewing the world as it was. The old ways didn't make sense any more, so some people were evolving their thought patterns and ideas. I think he may have been caught up in the moment of it all. People were breaking away from the old ideas and forming new cults to explore their brain power. One for instance during that time were The Sons of The Light. I think that was their name, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I just want to know your feelings on this. I have always been under the impression that he learned some of his knowledge from the elder jews. But a lot of his teachings seem to favor far eastern philosophies. The christian bible seems to have left out a significant time frame of his life. Could he have possibly been searching for more answers and made his way to other cultures?

682233[/snapback]

It does not take any special knowledge to know that teh right thing to do with ines life, is to Love God and Love Others. And that is all that Jesus really taught.

And He got His knowledge the same place you and I do ... from God ... from the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness, The Golden Rule. Empathy.

The problem is so many people have "tuned out" the voice of God. Or they have allowed all the noise and bustle of the world to distract them from hearing Gods voice. Or they don't like want to hear what God has to say.

Jesus loves His Fathers and Trusts His Father and Obeys His Father in heaven.

We ALL know what the right thing to do is, we just do not want to do it sometimes.

Well my theory is: I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting. He was smart and knew what he was speaking about.

just my opinion. original.gif

I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting

Isn't it strange that only the Gosple of Luke would report the thing about his being in the temple and astounding the priests with his knowledge, it would be such an important milestone of his life? Almost as if it might be made up. yes.gif

Maybe it was only in Luke because it wasn't as important as his adult years. yes.gif

Who knows?

And it came to pass after three days, that they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions.

(Luke 2:46)

Couldn't you just see Jesus as a child hanging out with the priests. I betcha he was a stinker. tongue.gif

Edited by 101

It is believed by some that Jesus travelled to the East in his teenage and 20-something years. Evidence of this is not in the Bible because the bible was written by men in one area where Jesus was not at the time. There are stories of a young man or child with god-like power in Eastern texts around the appropriate time.

I don't feel like finding all my links right now, but here is one....

http://www.ycsi.net/users/reversespins/teenageJesus.html

682233[/snapback]

It does not take any special knowledge to know that teh right thing to do with ines life, is to Love God and Love Others. And that is all that Jesus really taught.

And He got His knowledge the same place you and I do ... from God ... from the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness, The Golden Rule. Empathy.

The problem is so many people have "tuned out" the voice of God. Or they have allowed all the noise and bustle of the world to distract them from hearing Gods voice. Or they don't like want to hear what God has to say.

We ALL know what the right thing to do is, we just do not want to do it sometimes.

682480[/snapback]

You sound like a very nice person. One who always tries to do the right things,but your answer sounds superficial to me. It's very easy to go through life blissful with an attitude like that. I think there may just happen to be more to the story than that. wink2.gif

Well my theory is: I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting. He was smart and knew what he was speaking about.

just my opinion.  original.gif

682515[/snapback]

And don't forget this part...

Matthew 7:28-30 (New International Version)

New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

28When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

682233[/snapback]

682480[/snapback]

You sound like a very nice person. One who always tries to do the right things,but your answer sounds superficial to me. It's very easy to go through life blissful with an attitude like that. I think there may just happen to be more to the story than that. wink2.gif

682700[/snapback]

LOL

I wish I was as nice as you say I sound. Superficial? Maybe your reading of my message was superficial. Maybe you didn't stop to consider all the ramifications of knowing what is right, but not doing it for the various reasons I noted and I am sure there are other reasons. I spoke to a psychologist who said 80% of the people suffer some kind of neurosis because they are constantly doing things they believe they should not be doing. Peer pressure, social pressure, legal pressure, financial pressures family pressures religious pressures pulling us every which way but lose, we can't do just whatever we think is right without considering all of the foregoing pressures.

Christians are so sure about this stuff but yet they aren't concerned about the missing periods of time like his teen years.
skipping over the child hood of a person is typical of biographies of the period. for instance the biographies of the ceasars have little about their childhoods. usually, it only records their birth, maybe an interesting event in their childhood, and then jumps to adulthood.

one thing i wan't to know is, how do we all know he was so smart? Is there any evidence to this?
he outwits some very highly educated people throughout mark 2 and its parallels.

I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting

Isn't it strange that only the Gosple of Luke would report the thing about his being in the temple and astounding the priests with his knowledge, it would be such an important milestone of his life? Almost as if it might be made up. yes.gif

682669[/snapback]

Luke, being a doctor and an historian, got his information from talking to people wth first hand accounts of Jesus. Of the four gospels, his is the most complete and detailed. I believe his interviews and research took Luke to sources and places that the other gospel writers were simply not privvy to.

I feel his wisdom was inspired by God, I feel he was a very evolved being he was the Christ conciousness, what I find amazing was he could explain very profound things with very little words and even the simplest of minds could comprehend wasn't its ingenious how he used parables and allegoric storys, I still learn best in that way, to me that is a pretty good indicator of smarts. (I am not religious in any way shape or form, yet Jesus's messages are very usable to this day whether you are religious or not. I truly feel he was a great gift to mankind.

" By the fruits of his Labor he shall be known," Jesus

That kind of captures the essence of him a bit.

Actually there is one correlation with Jesus and Buddhism that interests me.

The three wise men that travelled from afar.

This also happens when they are looking for a reincarnated lama.

Actually there is one correlation with Jesus and Buddhism that interests me.

The three wise men that travelled from afar. 

This also happens when they are looking for a reincarnated lama.

683935[/snapback]

It is really only custom that has the wise men three in number. The Bible doesn't actually specify a number. It just says "wise men"

I feel his wisdom was inspired by God, I feel he was a very evolved being he was the Christ conciousness, what I find amazing was he could explain very profound things with very little words and even the simplest of minds could comprehend wasn't its ingenious how he used parables and allegoric storys, I still learn best in that way, to me that is a pretty good indicator of smarts.  (I am not religious in any way shape or form, yet  Jesus's messages are very usable to this day whether you are religious or not.  I truly feel he was a great gift to mankind.

" By the fruits of his Labor he shall be known,"  Jesus

683930[/snapback]

The funny thing is though that Jesus spoke in parables so that people WOULDN'T understand what he said, cf Matthew 13:11-15, Mark 4:11-12.

I feel his wisdom was inspired by God, I feel he was a very evolved being he was the Christ conciousness, what I find amazing was he could explain very profound things with very little words and even the simplest of minds could comprehend wasn't its ingenious how he used parables and allegoric storys, I still learn best in that way, to me that is a pretty good indicator of smarts.  (I am not religious in any way shape or form, yet  Jesus's messages are very usable to this day whether you are religious or not.  I truly feel he was a great gift to mankind.

" By the fruits of his Labor he shall be known,"   Jesus

683930[/snapback]

The funny thing is though that Jesus spoke in parables so that people WOULDN'T understand what he said, cf Matthew 13:11-15, Mark 4:11-12.

684055[/snapback]

Because those who do not want to understand would choose to not understand the parables. But for those who do want to understand the parables are very easy to understand.

Edited by GodsMessenger

" By the fruits of his Labor he shall be known,"   Jesus

683930[/snapback]

684055[/snapback]

Jesus was truthful which means he was totally visable, he would of had no need to keep his messages secret, "I am the way and the life follow me " not meant in the sense of followers but in the sense that we follow his example and become one with God, He also said " I and the father are one and ye are my brethren"

Parables are stories used to teach and I use them to teach my seven year old, I have no trouble understanding them. Sorry

Edited by Sheri berri

Well, I've heard Jesus was IN Asia during his teen years. I was recently brought up that there was a direct line between Asia and Rome (there was evidence of Roman settlements there). So if Romans went there it's posible He did too.

Now as for being an Essene, no idea, but within those lovely Dead Sea Scrolls is Enoch 1, of which Jesus did read and Jude quoted (people really SHOUD read the footnotes, along with many oter pople before and after Jesus.

Someone here last week claimed that Jesus was so 'well-educated' from being a carpenter and having a royal bloodline, that He made up being the Messiah. Now you're saying His education was medicore. Which one is it? Either way, He fulfilled all the prophecies and, like I said before, no amount of, or lack of, education can make someone a Messiah, especially since many of the evnets were out of His personal control.

He was following Judaism, He changed the rules for a reason. That reason was stated by Him. The rules, routines, an rituals that the Jewish people (some of them) were practicing glossed over the real meaning of it all. God. And it's no different to what many of the Christian churches do today. He wasn't picking on them being they were Jewish, or for practicing the God-given religion Judaism, Jesus Himself WAS Jewish, and PRACTICED Judaism Himself, He was revolutionising Judaism into the future Christianity. What people have done with that however, is questionable.

Christians are so sure about this stuff but yet they aren't concerned about the missing periods of time like his teen years.
skipping over the child hood of a person is typical of biographies of the period. for instance the biographies of the ceasars have little about their childhoods. usually, it only records their birth, maybe an interesting event in their childhood, and then jumps to adulthood.

one thing i wan't to know is, how do we all know he was so smart? Is there any evidence to this?
he outwits some very highly educated people throughout mark 2 and its parallels.

683826[/snapback]

I think in this case the whereabouts of such a worshipped person should be documented. That is unless there is something about this time period in his life that they either couldn't relate to or they didn't want known. Perhaps his knowledge was not so divine. I'm sure that he had many other influences that helped him to develop his teachings.

" By the fruits of his Labor he shall be known,"  Jesus

683930[/snapback]

Wow you and I seem to think so much alike .... your message sent me on a google search of the words Christ Consciousness and the first sight I found was this one.

http://www.plotinus.com/perfect_model19.htm

There is another thread I noticed but haven't responded to yet ... Lets make a new religion. That is a very tempting proposition. I think from your messages you like me are not a "religious" person, and yet to fond a "belief system" that more accurately reflect our own beliefs than the RELIGION of christianity does is somehow appealing to me. What say you?

683826[/snapback]

I think in this case the whereabouts of such a worshipped person should be documented. That is unless there is something about this time period in his life that they either couldn't relate to or they didn't want known. Perhaps his knowledge was not so divine. I'm sure that he had many other influences that helped him to develop his teachings.

687672[/snapback]

And perhaps The New Testament is just a greek play. A story about what the Messiah would be like when He came. Perhaps that play years later was mistakenly believed to be a real event, much like orson Welles War of The Worlds was mistakenly believed to be a real story at the time.

Then people created the religion of Christianity based on this book.

That in no way invalidates The Spirit of Christ or the Truth of the teachings attributed to Jesus the main character if that story.