Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA Employees Face Felony Animal-Cruelty Charges

__Kratos__

Ahoskie, NC – Last night, one month after the launch of www.PetaKillsAnimals.com, two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) were arrested on 31 felony animal-cruelty charges for killing and disposing of dogs and puppies in a dumpster. Today the Center for Consumer Freedom is calling on Americans to stop making donations to support PETA and its grim-reaper program.

When Ahoskie police arrested PETA employees Andrew Cook and Adria Hinkle last night, they found 18 dead dogs in a nearby shopping-center dumpster (including a bag containing seven dead puppies), and 13 more dead dogs in the PETA-owned van the two were driving. Police observed them throwing several dark-colored bags into the dumpster before the arrests were made.

This is not the first public mention of PETA’s large-scale euthanasia program. In May 2005 the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) unveiled a giant Times Square billboard and a new website (www.PetaKillsAnimals.com). CCF had obtained official records from the state of Virginia showing the militant animal-rights group had put over 10,000 dogs and cats to death since 1998.

In 2003 PETA euthanized over 85 percent of the animals it took in, finding adoptive homes for just 14 percent. By comparison, the Norfolk SPCA found adoptive homes for 73 percent of its animals and the Virginia Beach SPCA adopted out 66 percent. PETA’s required report documenting its 2004 record is currently over 4 weeks late.

A Bertie County (NC) Deputy Sheriff told The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald that Cook and Hinkle assured the Bertie Animal Shelter “they were picking up the dogs to take them back to Norfolk where they would find them good homes.” Pittman added that persons identifying themselves as PETA representatives have picked up live dogs from that shelter during the last two months.

“This is disturbing behavior on the part of self-professed animal lovers, and I hope the public takes notice,” said Center for Consumer Freedom Director of Research David Martosko. “PETA raked in nearly $29 million last year alone, but apparently it couldn’t spare any money to care for the flesh-and-blood animals entrusted to its employees. It’s ironic -- If anyone else were caught red-handed with 31 dead dogs, PETA would be holding a press conference to denounce them.”

Martosko added: “Last month when we launched PetaKillsAnimals.com, we warned the public that PETA was not the warm and kind group it claimed to be. Now it’s clearer than ever that Americans who truly want to help animals should donate to their local animal shelter, not to PETA.”

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just... WOW! blink.gif

“PETA raked in nearly $29 million last year alone, but apparently it couldn’t spare any money to care for the flesh-and-blood animals entrusted to its employees. It’s ironic -- If anyone else were caught red-handed with 31 dead dogs, PETA would be holding a press conference to denounce them.”

That is my favorite quote... grin2.gif So true, to.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ALNA70

• __Kratos__

• warden

• Blackleaf

As it seems PETA has offered nothing public about the case. I just checked their site and nothing. I think they are just trying to ignore these crimes!

This is pretty shocking to me as an animal lover, but I would like to learn more about the case and about the evidence before condemning them, I say this because there are many people out there who hate and detest animal rights groups, because some people love cruelty to animals. In the past attempts have been made to blacken animal rights groups names by making up lies, and even setting them up with crimes. I am not saying that these claims against PETA members are not true, as it looks likely that it is, which is disgusting, and obviously hypocritical, but you should be careful when reading accusations like this about animal rights groups because they have a lot of hated thrown at them by people who love to slaughter and torture animals, it makes them prime targets for people who wish to lie, slander and even set them up for crimes or other damaging type things.

If PETA is responsible, then shame on them, they are as bad, if not worse than the people that like to torture and kill animals, what is worse is, if they are responsible for this the fact PETA wont even defend them selves or comment on it is even more despicable.

All the best

Faeden

This is pretty shocking to me as an animal lover, but I would like to learn more about the case and about the evidence before condemning them, I say this because there are many people out there who hate and detest animal rights groups, because some people love cruelty to animals. In the past attempts have been made to blacken animal rights groups names by making up lies, and even setting them up with crimes. I am not saying that these claims against PETA members are not true, as it looks likely that it is, which is disgusting, and obviously hypocritical, but you should be careful when reading accusations like this about animal rights groups because they have a lot of hated thrown at them by people who love to slaughter and torture animals, it makes them prime targets for people who wish to lie, slander and even set them up for crimes or other damaging type things.

If PETA is responsible, then shame on them, they are as bad, if not worse than the people that like to torture and kill animals, what is worse is, if they are responsible for this the fact PETA wont even defend them selves or comment on it is even more despicable.

All the best

Faeden

684601[/snapback]

You took the words right out of my mouth. no.gifno.gif

Since I began work with the ASPCA and the Humane Society I have nothing but trouble from PETA groups. The intentions have always been good but somewhere the message was lost. To read that PETA might be responsible for such an act sickens me. I will continue to donate my time and money to responsible groups that operate under strict regulations who don't sacrifice ethics for shock value. Painting yourself red and blocking a parking lot is a decent way to spend an afternoon but I would rather answer phones, organize fund-raisers and commit myself to finding homes for unwanted pets. But, hey, that's just my thing.

Wow. What are the odds that PETA getting caught doing something they are against?

I sent an email to their one of their websites, which is aimed at teenagers. Hopefully I'll get a response. thumbsup.gif

Edited by riotboy555

Well this will really help their cause now wont it!?!?

It just takes one or two incidents like this to lose the publics support even if the cause is trully wothwhile.

I'm not surprised. I've been hearing this stuff for years, yet some people refuse to believe that PETA could be misrepresenting themselves.

I never donated time or money to them, and proud of it too. I do what I can to help animals, and I think it's more beneficial than giving this organization money.

i've never liked PETA, or the extortionist views that they hold.. it goes to show you just how greedy an organisation is to not follow through with promises for a better future for animals.. i'd like to know just what has happened with the money

i'm just disgusted by the way they disposed of the bodies

Since I began work with the ASPCA and the Humane Society I have nothing but trouble from PETA groups. The intentions have always been good but somewhere the message was lost. To read that PETA might be responsible for such an act sickens me. I will continue to donate my time and money to responsible groups that operate under strict regulations who don't sacrifice  ethics for shock value. Painting yourself red and blocking a parking lot is a decent way to spend an afternoon but I would rather answer phones,  organize fund-raisers and commit myself to finding homes for unwanted pets. But, hey, that's just my thing.

687218[/snapback]

Wow!! I'm very impressed with your volunteer work. I have the utmost respect for those who actually take the time to help out with organizations such as those you mentioned. I'm an animal lover since as long as I can remember, I just wish I had more time to do the work you do.

You are one special lady girty!! thumbsup.gifwub.gif

What a nice complement! thank you...

PETA and splinter factions have long been adversarys of mine as they make my work much much harder. I hope for a time when shock value bows out and useful projects can be utilized to educate people on animal cruelty and what can be done to stop it.

does peta do anything about eukanuba and iams products?

they are some nasty ppl.. the testing they do on animals is horrendous

If we don't test products on animals, then we'll have to test them on humans.

Or don't test them at all then your hair might fall out every time you use shampoo.

I wonder how many of these people who are against animal testing would let these products be tested on themselves instead.

But animal cruelty is cruel. For example, I don't agree with putting dogs into cages and not feeding them or anything.

But if we have all these different products, then they must be tested somehow.

I definetely think that "dog shampoos" should be tested on dogs. I mean, it's the dogs that are gonna be using them.

$29 million ,and not one dime spent on the dogs ,i wonder how much was spent on champaigne and stakes at the top hotels,greed ,once it gets a grip it wont let go

689464[/snapback]

The Nazis did that (Block 10) and so did the Japanese (Unit 731) and they both got into trouble and where looked down on...

689464[/snapback]

The Nazis did that (Block 10) and so did the Japanese (Unit 731) and they both got into trouble and where looked down on...

690102[/snapback]

But we could get a book of signitures of members from UM,all those who deplore animal testing get to sign the book and they get inturn to take the place of the animals,remember anyone after testing that looks like something from mars will have their selfs to blame

Sign here please..........1)

2)

3)

689464[/snapback]

690102[/snapback]

But we could get a book of signitures of members from UM,all those who deplore animal testing get to sign the book and they get inturn to take the place of the animals,remember anyone after testing that looks like something from mars will have their selfs to blame

Sign here please..........1)

2)

3)

690123[/snapback]

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif