Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiritual or Religious?

Sherapy

Are you spiritual or religious? Whats the difference?? Is there a difference??? Can we bridge the gap that exists??????? Which works better religion or spiritualism???How would we know if we have only held one perspective for your time here????

(Lets face it religion doesn't encourage other ways to God)

I feel Religion tells us what to believe and what is so based on someone elses experience, I feel Spirituality asks us to come up with our own ideas based on personal experience, (I was exposed to religion early in life) Later I came to embrace the idea of spirituality, my personal observation is the way I believe

in God does make a huge difference, I do better believing in a Unconditional Loving God, than I did when I beleived God was somewhere out there separate from me. What if none of it is true?????? I've asked myself that to and decided who cares it just matters how I prefer to live and what works best, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this

Edited by Sheri berri

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• Paranoid Android

Top Posters In This Topic

One can be religious. But to have God(holy spirit ) resid in you is the real thing. I mean I could go to church on just Christmas,Easter,and Palm Sunday, whatever and be religious. But to be spiritual in my opinion is to have the holy spirit reside within you.

But to bring them together you have to be a true believer in whatever faith you are.

Religion is just a word. It is what has been attributed in today's society to these organisations which people attend because some of their views and outlooks are similar. Religion cannot get you anywhere. As 101 posted, you can go to church as many times as you want and do all the religious stuff that happens there, but that does not guarantee anything.

Being religious involves simply actions and motions (much like the Pharisees were doing in Jesus' day). Being spiritual is a matter of the heart. I do not know what is truly in your heart. You do not truly know what is in mine. God though, knows what is in all our hearts.

It is only through true Faith in God, encompassing your entire life - not just the two hours you spend sitting on a pew on Sundays - by which you can truly call yourself a child of God.

I could be wrong Sherri, but I think we have differing ideas as to what "spiritual" and "religious" mean.

I personally believe that Jesus is the only way to God, as elaborated in John 14:6, thus I do not encourage other ways to God - is that your meaning of religious? But by the same token I am no slave to an earthly organisation telling me what to do, nor am I a slave to a set of rules and regulations that i "must" follow in order to be saved. Rather it is living a life of love and respect - Love and respect for God and Jesus; Love and respect for fellow man/woman/child - is this what you mean by spiritual?

All the best,

Religion is just a word.  It is what has been attributed in today's society to these organisations which people attend because some of their views and outlooks are similar.  Religion cannot get you anywhere.  As 101 posted, you can go to church as many times as you want and do all the religious stuff that happens there, but that does not guarantee anything.

Being religious involves simply actions and motions (much like the Pharisees were doing in Jesus' day).  Being spiritual is a matter of the heart.  I do not know what is truly in your heart.  You do not truly know what is in mine.  God though, knows what is in all our hearts.

It is only through true Faith in God, encompassing your entire life - not just the two hours you spend sitting on a pew on Sundays - by which you can truly call yourself a child of God.

I could be wrong Sherri, but I think we have differing ideas as to what "spiritual" and "religious" mean.

I personally believe that Jesus is the only way to God, as elaborated in John 14:6, thus I do not encourage other ways to God - is that your meaning of religious?  But by the same token I am no slave to an earthly organisation telling me what to do, nor am I a slave to a set of rules and regulations that i "must" follow in order to be saved.  Rather it is living a life of love and respect - Love and respect for God and Jesus;  Love and respect for fellow man/woman/child - is this what you mean by spiritual? 

All the best,

691423[/snapback]

Within the context that you are writing I recieve what you are saying as for you Jesus seems to be the best way , Am I undersstanding you correctly??? I think your message is very heartfelt and well put, I think Jesus is a very excellent example of becoming one with God and I have read many things on him myself,

I am not looking to debate one side versus another I'm seeking to be a bridge to anyone That would be my definition of Spiritual, I just love to hear peoples perspectives on Religion and Spirituality, I learn from others I feel everyone has wisdom to share, I hope that answers your question Namaste Sheri Thankyou for Sharing .