Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
whoa182

'Ban smoking in homes with child'

29 posts in this topic

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

You stated that a childs place was in the garden while the Mother place was smoking in doors. There is no reason to bring my upbringing into this discussion that is not relevent.

Dr1273

He is right, that comment was uncalled for. I have three children and I would be damned if anyone including myself would lock my kids out of the house or tell them to go outside so I could pollute the air in my home with smoke. Which once the children walk back in they will still inhale. Smoke gets on everything. Your clothes smell like it, it gets in the carpet, clothing, blankets, curtains. You can't smoke in your home while your kids are away and really think they are safe when they come back. There is still that dangerous residue in your home for them to inhale. And I used to be a smoker. I SMOKED OUTSIDE. And let my children stay in. And I washed my hands when I came in and put antibacterial gel on me. They still complained they smelled it on me so I stopped smoking for my childrens health. There really is no way to enforce a no smoking rule for people with children BUT they could enforce that smokers who have kids go thru a medical seminar to teach the parents the downfalls of smoking around your kids. Show them the dangers and what happens to their kids lungs when they inhale second hand smoke. Maybe the horror of seeing what damage it has done to someone else's child will scare them to quit cold turkey!!!!

Edited by Dr1273

hunterkiller2001
And I used to be a smoker. I SMOKED OUTSIDE. And let my children stay in. And I washed my hands when I came in and put antibacterial gel on me. They still complained they smelled it on me so I stopped smoking for my childrens health.

Tell me.. what did the smell have to do with your childrens health? Did the antibacterial gel soak up all the second hand smoke in the air?

The plain and simple truth is that in a 600 sq ft apartment, with an air conditioner on, your apartment will have less parts of smoke per million then the air outside in under 30 minutes. There are two reasons for this: #1: The smoke dilutes and disperses into the rest of the air in the room. #2. The air conditioning will create an overpressurization in your apartment/house that will force air to leave via any direct route to the outside.. such as cracks under doors, leaks in the roof, etc. This is the exact same phenomenon that allows fema and homeland security to build "safe rooms" against NBC threats.

Show them the dangers and what happens to their kids lungs when they inhale second hand smoke

Most people who side with the antismoking laws seem to think that if they're in a house or building with a smoker, it equates down to the smoker blowing the smoke in thier faces.. it's just not true. Yea.. You'll get the smell..not the smoke. Wanna test it? walk into a room like the one I mentioned 30 minutes after someone smokes MJ.. and tell me if you get a contact high. Or have an air test done on an over pressurized room in the same time period. There's other smaller scale projects that can be done. instructions are on the net.. these usually deal with a masons jar, and a small fan to create the overpressurization.

By the time your children hit highschool, they'll be bombarded with smoke anyway.. I havn't seen a school whos bathrooms don't spew smoke into the hallways.

And back on the "kids should be outside" stuff.. did I say everytime you want a smoke you should toss your offspring out the door? Nope.. at least I don't recall making such a suggestion.. What I ment was simply this: During the course of every given day, your children should be doing things like: school, sports practice.. band practice.. Boyscouts, girlscouts.. going to a friends house, going to the park, the library, a LAN party, a regular party, school dances.. crap like that.

That's all I ment by that comment, so please, forgive me for any misunderstanding.

Dr1273

Tell me.. what did the smell have to do with your childrens health? Did the antibacterial gel soak up all the second hand smoke in the air?

NO.....it was my failed attempt to try to mask the smell for my children. No the smell of smoke is not the same as second hand smoke but the smell of smoke still affected my children. They suffered from headaches and sometimes migraines when I was smoking. So I thought that it would help mask the smell which in turn did not work.

By the time your children hit highschool, they'll be bombarded with smoke anyway.. I havn't seen a school whos bathrooms don't spew smoke into the hallways.

So what you are saying is that if John Doe smokes a joint in front of your child why shouldn't you? That's rediculous. Just because others, whether it be adult or teen, have no regard for your child's well being you should not either? Not only is it bad for your child's health to inhale second hand smoke by smoking ANYWHERE near your child you are setting bad habits for them. Why shouldn't they light up when they reach the required age, mommy and daddy did it? Must be ok then. How will you react when your child lights up for the first time? Hand them an ashtray? Not I....I WILL be passing some video over that shows a persons lungs after smoking for several years. Or taking them on a nice visit to the nursing home so they can see the poor old man who lost voice because of throat cancer. I want them to know the reprocisions of that little bit of smoke. To them and to the children they will have.