Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Joining Religion

343 Guilty Spark

What are the right reasons to join a religion. Say if you join Christianity just incase there is a hell, would that be wrong. What reasons do you think are right?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 343 Guilty Spark

• Paranoid Android

• Sherapy

• Boris the Spider

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the right reasons to join a religion. Say if you join Christianity just incase there is a hell, would that be wrong. What reasons do you think are right?

691575[/snapback]

IMO, there's no wrong or right way. I got interested in Christianity when I was about 4-5 because I didn't want to go to hell! it sounded scary! But, I never gave God much more thought(but i still believed in Him) up until two years ago, when I decided to dedicate my life to God. Any reason is right, except if someone says "YOU WILL BELIEVE IN {INSERT_RELIGION} OR ILL KILL YOU!!!!" then it's wrong. grin2.gif

Hope this helps!

What are the right reasons for joining a religion? I'll try and answer this by telling a story I heard once (it's probably made up, but hey, it gets a good point across grin2.gif )

It was Sunday morning and the church was quickly filling up. It was a huge church, yet there was no more room for people to sit, so there were people standing at the back. The pastor walks in and stands at the front of the church to open up proceedings.

All of a sudden a dozen balaclava-clad men burst in wielding guns. The head gunman exclaims "Anyone not willing to take a bullet for Christ, leave now". The next thing we know, out of a church of a couple of thousand, there's 25 people still seated scattered around the building. The gunmen take off their balaclava's, sit down and say to the pastor "There we go Reverend. Got rid of the hypocrites for ya"!

I bring this story up because religion is a set of rules we follow. We might be religious in having Corn Flakes for breakfast as an example. But it is Faith in the heart that commits us to follow a particular path in life. What is the point in going through the motions of religion if we don't truly mean it in our hearts? Faith is by far more important.

If what is in our heart inspires us to "join" a particular religion, then that is the right reason. If we join because we simply always have, or if we go because Sunday (or whatever day of the week the church meets up) is our designated "God worship" time for the week, then that is the wrong reason. Do you take my meaning?

Until next time,

Edited by BFG

I got interested in Christianity when I was about 4-5 because I didn't want to go to hell! it sounded scary

Religions that scare little children with unsubstantiated horror stories are a reason not to join that religion! The reason to join a religion is because you accept it's beliefs, not because you are frightened into it by myths that were created by the founders of that religion to frighten people into joining. Never take anything on faith, if a religion tells you that you have to accept their beliefs on faith, then walk away, they have no more idea about God than you do! Any religion that accepts the ideas and world view of Bronze Age savages (which eliminates nearly all of the main stream religions) and can provide no proof other than their books of mythology need to be avoided. If you can't find a religion that you can accept, you can still know the Creator and have a relationship without religion, no matter what the resident Theists say. yes.gif

Thank you for all the input. I was thinking of learning more on Christianity and the reasons to join and you guys have been really helpful. thumbsup.gif

Great Question, These are my guidlines in joining anything:

If you are required to sit adoriningly at someones feet, run because they have nothing to offer except their ego.

If no other perspective is allowed to be shared, You will only come away judgemental

If you are told that the truth t you have found inside is wrong, run also you will only learn the art of deceptionl

If someone requires payment for their exclusive secret knowledge, Be assured you are being robbed

If someone tells you all the sacred truth of the universe is contained in only one book,and trys to sell you on the devil and hell they are probably delusional and paranoid stay away completely.

If someone tells you that God is out there somewhere and you have to have a mediator, wish them the best and be on your way they themselves have not remembered God.

If someone tells you my way is not a better way just another way and that all paths lead to God they are most likely masters If someone tells you that you have all the truth contained inside, you need nothing outside of yourself, you may have found a Path

If someone tells you are perfect just as you are and you are the beloved You are on your way home.

Really deep and meaningful Sheri berri. Thanks original.gif . I'm glad people are replying this is my first topic.

Very true Sheri Berri, you have made some very important and logical points.

I like to look at any search of the soul in a logical way.

For example: God does not talk to you when you ask a question of God. You may have it answered in some other way, but not directly in voice. (Of course some say they do hear God) But for the rest of us God is quiet. So to me that means we are suppose to handle everything down here on earth by ourselves. And it also means, IMO, that we don't have to worship God while we are here but rather learn all we can about life while we are living.

God is love. Love is one important lesson. If you can learn to love yourself and all others no matter what happens then that is a big plus. Forgiveness is another one. I think it is the hardest lesson for most people to learn. Then there is compassion. It is a must have really.

If you learn those lessons then you will be doing what a loving God would want you to do. Then you won't have to die feeling ashamed of how you lived your life.

So logically, a person does not need to be a part of any religion to do what is important in this existence.

Very beautiful Sherri. You have a very poetic nature. I do not necessarily agree with all you wrote - as you know I believe Jesus to be the true and only way to God. But I do not begrudge anyone who chooses to follow a different path. I may not agree with other people's choices, but I do respect those choices and the people who make them. I wish you all the best,

Thankyou so much for your kindness and love and I feel the same about all of you , I have no issue with what any one believes I prefer a different perspective and I'd be the first to heart anothers path , I think God shows up to you in the way that is suited for you and what works for you Boris the spider I enjoy reading your stuff you are so honestly heartfelt, I am learning from all of you I personally do not know all there is to know about God, My 5 year old son said to me once " Mommy I get it " I said get what, What God wants" Whats that I asked my darlig little boy "He said Mommy God is in everyone he wants us to share that with each other" . Namaste beloved Friends Sheri Berri