Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jobs test

Ciraxis

would anyone care to give me their thoughts on the book of Job? i guess i just want to hear your thoughts on it. I'm not going to give me thoughts just yet. Lets just see where this goes.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ciraxis

• charon

• ForRizzle

• Boris the Spider

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I just don't have a firm opinion on the book of Job. To me it is just one of the books of the Bible.

thats fine, i wasn't being bitter. i guess i wasn't very clear in my topic, i left this to open maybe?

I have read in one of these threads a debate on who brought the evil on to Job. I can not remember wich one.

if you remember let me know, there is just not enough time to go through every thread. i check old threads when i get bored with the new ones.

I think it is another Bible story example that proves that man wrote the Bible and not a supreme entity.

If I would not think it is important to prove how much faith a person has, or if they will hate me if I take everything in their life from them tragically, then why would a supreme being partake in such an infantile game?

God allowed the destruction of a mans family, health etc. but spare his life to prove a point to a devil?!!!

My God wouldn't do that.

I think if humans ever want to make spiritual progress we first need to accept that the Bible is not what we make it out to be. Then start searching for the real truth about God.

Satan is an accusing angel. Prince of actually. When we went to report to God as the other sons of God (b'nai Elohim, meaning angels) did he brought about a test on Job to test Job's devotion to God (he obviously had ulterior motives). Part of an accusing angel's job IS to test, tempt and accuse, so it's explaining why there are tests.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

would anyone care to give me their thoughts on the book of Job?  i guess i just want to hear your thoughts on it.  I'm not going to give me thoughts just yet.  Lets just see where this goes.

692187[/snapback]

God told Satan that Job was an upright man. Satan accused Job, saying that Job feared God because God had made him rich and protected him, but if Job lost all of his material goods then Job would curse God. So God told Satan that he had power over all of Job's possessions, but to spare His life. This was to test Job to see if he would curse God, if he lost all his possessions.

Satan is called the accuser of the brethren. Satan and those evil people that are under his control, accuse righteous people falsely.

Satan is totally evil, and will destroy, lie, murder, and do evil if God allows him the power to do so. God may allow Satan to have that power to test men, like in the case of Job, or God may allow Satan to have that power to punish men for their sins. Well, after Job lost his goods and his children and his servants, Satan having taken them away from him, Job did not curse God, like Satan said that he would, and Job stayed a righteous man.

God told Satan again that Job was a righeous man.

This is an interesting scripture in Job: chapter 2:

3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

The way that this is stated, God was moved against Job to destroy him, but it is Satan that God allowed to actually do it.

This shows that Satan can only do what God allows him to do. So, in a sence, God did it by allowing Satan to do it.

This can be used to explain what others call a contradiction.

Look at these scriptures:

2 Samuel 24:1 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

1 Chronicles 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

It looks like a contradiction; those scriptures are referring to the same event, but it is not a contradiction if you consider what happened in Job.

God moved David to Go and number Israel by allowing Satan to stand up and provoke David to number Israel. That is why it is not a contradiction.

It says, God was angry at Israel, so God probably allowed Satan to do this as a punishment for Israel's sins.

In another verse it says:

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Satan can only do what God allows him to do and there are reasons why God allows it.

Satan was again allowed to test Job by smiting him with boils all over his body, to see if Job would curse God. Job still did not do it.

Job's friends kept trying to tell him he had that happen because he was a sinner and was being punished.

Job was telling them he was not a sinner. Job mistakenly thought that God may have made an error in judgement for him, a righteous man, to be punished like that.

God spoke to Job, showing him that he was the creator of what is on the Earth and that He can do everything. So, obviously, God would not make a mistake.

God said to Job:

Job 40:

8 Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?

Because Job did not curse God, and he passed his test, God gave Job twice as much as he had before the test, and new children, and a long properous life.

That is like a brief summary of what is in Job.

Note: When considering scriptures in the book of Job, toward the end of the book, God indicates that Job's friends were speaking falsely. So any scriptures conscerning what Job's friends said, should be considered possible errors, and not regarded as definitely true.

What I'd like to add here is that back in those ancient times, if a person was healthy and wealthy and lived long, it was supposed to be a sign that they had found favour with God and God had blessed them. In contrast, a person with diseases or no money, crops etc was looked upon as cursed by God.

Job was a righteous man and had found favour in God's eyes. But Satan, always the accuser, believes that if God took his favour away from Job, then Job would turn against God. Obviously that didn't happen. Even when Job's friends were telling him that he must have done something evil in order to obtain God's wrath, Job stood true.

It's a great message for us today to stand firm in the face of adversity. To trust in God no matter how dire things get or how distant God seems to us. No matter that people are telling us differently, God has not abandoned us, we should continue to follow Him.

That's my take on Job. All the best,

That's very well said BFG. I think the book Job testifies man's search of the nature of God and how it relates / unrelates with the present state of life.

Edited by Q-La