Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

witches

Bizarro

ok, ive been here a long time and ive yet to see a discussion on witches. i am not talking about witches like Celticwitch, but rather the mean and scary ones. i will relate a story from some friends, kind of an urban legend type story, but it was firsthand and i did see his wounds so i don't know what i believe about it.

i had some friends when i was younger and we all spent a lot of time out in the woods. the woods behind my house ran probably 20 miles in all directions with only a few instances of roads breaking them. i knew those woods very well and so did my friends, as we would often camp out or just explore for fun. my friends were slightly older than i was and a hell of a lot more brash. one night they invited me to go camping way back in the woods near the furthest that we had explored, but i declined. i usually would camp with them but i must have had a reason to stay home. anyways, they went into the woods that night as i carried some of their things for quite a distance and then headed for home. later that night, around 1am, they came banging on my window. my friend Mark, who lived down the street from me was hurt. he had some claw marks in his back and was totally freaking out. they claimed that an old 'witch' had attacked them at their campsite. they said that she was hideously ugly and old, wore ragged black clothes and screamed at them to leave her woods. she then physically attacked them, scratching Mark as he turned to run. they were really scared, i had known them for years and this was not their normal character. i believed them. after that, we began searching for her in the woods (often armed). we started searching initially near the camp site area but we didn't find much. over a period of a month or two, we eventually found a building that we believe she lived in. it was a very scary shack, deep in the underbrush but a human definitely was dwelling there. there was food and jars, as well as some old clothing. there were also symbols painted on the walls that quite honestly freaked me completely out, even in broad daylight. we became frightened and left quickly. i moved from that town not long after, so i don't know what became of the hunt for the witch of the woods.

i was just wondering if anyone had a witch story. i would like to know if these witches are just legend or if there really are women who live in forests as witches. what would motivate them to attack a group of campers?

i realize this is so "blair witch" but this incident happened back when i was like 14... back in the 80's.

some witch links:

http://www.bellwitch.org/story.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/weird/chillseeker...tchproject.html

anyways, there is not a lot of witch stuff out there. i don't know if my friends saw a witch or not, or just a crazy hermit woman, but the idea of a witch in the woods has always fascinated me. then again, they could have just been pulling my leg for not going with them original.gif

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bizarro

• dust19

• neen

• Anirbas

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thats really creapy - around here we were more scared of "panthers" not that we had any - but my granny told some pretty creapy stories about them! Anyway I think that is one of the most bizzare things I have heard - Just curious what did the parents do?

My mother , My paternal grandmother and 1 of my Paternal Aunties all claimed to be witches at some stage through my childhood . However by all accounts they were happy normal people who just happened to have an interest in the occult , superstition and divination .

I am only aware of these kinds of witches and fortunately have never experienced anything like the experience you described DS . original.gif

i don't know what his parents did. the bunch of us were really tight with each other and we often didn't tell our parents much about anything we did- reason being that we might get grounded or banned from the woods. we also had 'wars' with the other kids in the neighborhood with sling shots, bb guns and fireworks... what im saying is that we kept to ourselves for our own benefit original.gif

there were rumors of someone out there- even before we encountered her. we knew that someone or something was following us on occasion- as we were very knowledgeable about the woods and sounds of the woods. one particular occasion was something i posted on another topic about inanimate object hauntings. this incident happened a few years before the witch encounter, but it might be related. its kind of long but ill just copy and paste it here:

strange story. i have an "inanimate object" story of my own. most people ive told never believed it but i know several of us affected by it still do.

when i was around 10-12 years old, my friends and i used to play in the woods near our neighborhood. there were probably 30 square miles of total wilderness just past the dead end of our street. there was an old farm house that stood on a dirt trail quite a distance into the woods- it was definitely abandoned. i bet that house stood from the mid 1800's. it had horse stables near it and an old style well with a bucket lowered by a rope. the house burnt down after a couple of neighborhood hoodlums set it on fire.

a few weeks after the house burnt down my friends and i were out walking in the forest when we found an old rusty lantern. on the top of it you could make out some words about a railroad company and the date 1863. we thought it was cool and decided to take it home and show our parents. they all were amazed that we found something so old and one of my friend's mom told him to keep it at their house as it might be worth something as an antique.

this is when things get weird. my friend woke up the next morning and the lantern was missing from his garage. he also had gotten very ill and had a huge fight with his mom- landing him grounded for 2 weeks. we didn't think anything other than it was just a coincidence until we found the lantern back in the woods in the same place we originally found it.

we brought it back down from the forest again. this time my other friend kept it at his house with the same results. i don't remember what happened to him but wherever the lantern went, so did bad luck. the lantern would also 'move' itself back to the spot in the woods.

i kept it at my house next. to be sure that no one was pulling my leg i hid the lantern in my shed(which was attached to our house and had a locking door). no one knew about where i stashed the lantern. well, it went back into the woods again. i didn't have any bad luck from it but it definitely spooked me that it would move like that.

my friends and i decided that the lantern was haunted and it had to go. we bashed it to bits with a hammer and generally had a good time breaking it....

well, to make a long story short, it was back at the spot in the woods again- reassembled. no one ever touched it again. i swear this actually happened. whether it was the work of one of my friends or a ghost, i have no clue. it was quite freaky though.

not likely, it was very old. it had that date of 1863 on it and those kind of items just don't exist in great numbers. that would date it to the civil war and those objects are very rare indeed.

that's why my friend's mom first wanted to keep it, so it could be appraised.

also, just as a note of interest. we believe some battle of the civil war was fought in this area. in my yard i dug up a cannonball and a union bayonet. that was just stuff i happened to find. i went to the library and found no record of a battle in that area, but it did say 'skirmishes' occurred.

I have a lot of information on the folklaw type of witches, the brromstick type, but I have yto go to work soon, so no time, I'll put some of it up here though soon.

I wonder if it could have just been some nasty old lady who lived in the woods. She probably was p***ed that kids were snooping in her are and went off. SHe probably attacked your friend with something, or long unclipped nails. I don't see what makes her a witch though. The weird symbols? Half of the time I am doodling I draw weird symbols, but they don't mean anything.

But either way, it would scare the crap out of me too. I alway shated old shacks in the woods. I remember once my brother and his friends built an old shack in the woods, but every time they'd go to it, they would discover that some more hunters have taken dumps in it.

ya, we called her a witch because she looked like one to the guys who saw her. i don't think she was practicing magic or anything, but she was definitely some kind of freak. the symbols looked kind of like religious stuff, a lot of pentagrams and circles with crosses over them, etc.

she could have been a crazy old redneck woman- that is a distinct possibility as people who live deep in the woods get a little wacko. that land belonged to a timber company who would only cut it every 50 years, so she could have been in there for quite some time. also, there were sources of water as a small river ran through parts of the forest. i also occasionally ran into wandering hermits out there but they were generally good natured men who would politely talk with you and then move along again. a lot of hunters out there in deer season though, we had built underground shelters to duck into because they tended to shoot at any sound they heard out there. however, we camped mostly in the spring and summer and that is not hunting season- thus they would not be inhabiting the old shack. it didn't appear to be a normal dwelling place, rather much more creepy. it was extremely dirty and lived in, had a bad smell, and the food and junk was piled pretty high. whoever lived there was dirty and disgusting, along with being downright weird.

Hey DS May I make a suggestion? Write all this stuff down and compose a book type thingy - you know to like pass on and stuff. Kids would LOVE these stories! Not that they are stories -err nevermind original.gif

Really DS as Anirbas has suggested you've got to write a book or something about all the experiences you've had over the course of your life.I don't think I've ever met a person who has had so many different strange things happen in their lives.Even if it's just a journal that you can keep for yourself to look back on, or to pass on to your kids, I'm sure they would find it fasinating that there dad has had such adventures. grin2.gif

umm ladies, i haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet. the x-rated adventures would knock your socks off devil.gif definitely not a book for the kiddies.

i really am writing a book though. ive already had one of my essays published in college. when it comes out, you guys all run and buy a copy and make me wealthy original.gif

Good for you DS, I'm glad your writing a book.I would definately read it if you ever got it published. original.gif

And as far as the x-rated stuff knocking my socks off.....well just send me a copy,pics and all devil.gif and I promise I won't mass distribute it and make heaps of money......honest whistling.gif

tongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My mom's friend told me a story. Once when she was little,she was in the woods with her friends. They heard laughing so they looked up. They saw three witches sitting on top of a tree laughing at them and telling them to come up. They ran away and my mom's friend got her aunt. They went back and her aunt saw the same thing so they all ran away.

• 1 month later...

i kinda had a similar experience lol, one halloween there was a haunted house type thing that happened to be held across the road from the local cemetery, which as luck would have it was very foggy and spooky that year...but anyway, i had dressed as a black cat and was waiting for a few of my friends to exit the HH. so, i kinda took a seat on the nearest headstone whistling2.gif i never thought anything of it until i heard a group of teens yelling that theres someone over there in the graveyard... lol, then they commenced to run away shouting like i was killing them omg..that was the funniest thing that ever happened in my life..... laugh.gif