Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woah? Whats is this?

JohnnyBoyC

ok i believe that God is a human because of this quote from Genesis

Genesis 1:26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the heavens, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Ok He said that as if there were more than one of him, yet Genesis doesnt mention any other God besides Jehovah. And the first Commandment is theat there is only one God, so why did He write this?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jodie.Lynne

• JohnnyBoyC

• TaintedDoughnuts

happy.gif Let's debunk it! It's a widely debateable verse, but here's some of the interpretations:

1) It's a hint at the NT's talk about the Holy Trinity- the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

2) It's God talking to Himself in plural

3) God is talking to His court of angels.

What He's talking about in His own image is He created man in His own image- which is a special gift He bestowed to us. We could have looked like 3- legged giraffe necked flying banana muffins, but He chose for us to look like Him, which I think is pretty awesome thumbsup.gif

Edited by TaintedDoughnuts

OK that is a good deunking TaintedDonuts we can always count on you! Also, so is it decided God is A human?

OK that is a good deunking TaintedDonuts we can always count on you! Also, so is it decided God is A human?

Our image=Gods image with the angels.

Angels were obviously present before the making of man.

"Our" is plural, so therefore there were others present during the creation of man.

Our image=Gods image with the angels.

Angels were obviously present before the making of man.

"Our" is plural, so therefore there were others present during the creation of man.

695091[/snapback]

Nice interpretation!! yes.gif

And, if we assume that god is a humanoid, to what ethnic grouping does he/she/it belong?

Edit for spelling (because I think the believers would get annoyed if I left the 'groping' in there)

Edited by JMPD1

Umm, hell no. God is far from human. Obviously you haven't actually read any cannon or non-cannon descriptions of Our Father, Yahweh.

God's FACE, (if people read Enoch...) is what man's likeness is made from, and it is a grave severe sin to say something derogative about somone's face for that reason. God eats and breathes fire, His throne is in the outermost regions of space (the constellation of Orion was said by pre-dynasty Egyptians, influenced by the angels of Enoch to be THE Throne of God), his face emits sparks like metalworks and is of a blinding light, both awesome and terrifying (Enoch was mortified when he saw God actually....) and if any MORTAL man were to see God he would die, which is why God sends angels to do His bidding. Even the burning bush was an angel, reported to have been the Metatron (the angel Enoch turned into) one of the highest who sits next to the Throne of God next to his twin angel Sandalphon (who was Elijah). God also has a multiple voice like the rumblings of thunder, etc. God is of extremely huge proportions, and the constellation of Orion, in it's enormity could very likely to be the proprtions it's talking about.

Now, it says in OUR likeness not because there were angels helping (which there were, satanail was also one of them, planetd the vine, as was Gabriel, Michael, etc) but because of the TRINITY. The word ELOHIM, the word for id used in the passage is plural male, and singular femae in gender. The plural male is for God (Yahweh) and Jesus (Yeshua), and the singular female for the Holy Spirit, which in Hebrew is the SHEKINAH, and is female in gender. God said He had no aid/help in any of His creations. The angels didn't actually CREATE anything, they just arranged/planted, did as God requested of them, etc

I will also point out that most angels are far from human also, but all can APPEAR human. Angels with four heads 3 of animals (the 4 fixed sign Zodiac Cherubim), eyes of lightning, eyes of fire, miles high, reptillian (flamiing serpent Seraphim who guard Eden), etc.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

And, if we assume that god is a humanoid, to what ethnic grouping does he/she/it belong?

Edit for spelling (because I think the believers would get annoyed if I left the 'groping' in there)

695133[/snapback]

Are you asking what race God made adam and eve? Like if they were black/white or what not?

No. What I am asking is, if the race of man is created in the likeness of the creator, what ethnic group does he/she/it look like? And, if 'god' is the originator of mankind, why such diverse appearances? I mean, we cannot ALL look like the creator, right?

That's hard to say JMPD1. No one has ever seen the face of God. He could be orange, and I could really care less grin2.gif I love Him for who He is and what He does for me and others, not what He looks like thumbsup.gif

Edited by TaintedDoughnuts

Or it could be that when the Jews "borrowed" the creation story from the religion of Ugarit (written 300 years before the Exodus and found in 1928 in the city's archives) they simply forgot to remove the plural reference to God. Or could be it was from when Judea was still more polytheistic than later (archaeologist and historians accept the possibility of both, leaning closer to the latter)! yes.gif

Oh here we have another one of Mako's fudgy history lessons to sprout his self confirmation that he is right and the Jews/Christians have it all wrong. Intrigue me, please, I need a good laugh. In your depseration to claim that the Jews 'borrowed' from everyone else when it's clearly quite the opposite you forgot to realize that Exodus has quite nothing to do with it darlin', it's GENESIS, please, read before your fingers do the walking. Genesis came from Jubilees, and need I mention again that there are books much older than both Jubilees to begin with.

Perhaps....

He said "our" because of the Elohim/trinity thing that someone just explained. (translations have ruined the bible throughout history).

'made man in our image' - I believe - does not speak of physical image, but spiritual image. "Image" does not just mean what your face looks like, and personally, I think its a bit daft to think that God is human.

when the Jews "borrowed" the creation story from the religion of Ugarit (written 300 years before the Exodus

If you would actually read postings, you would see that I said (as is accept by historians and scholars that the "borrowed" CREATION STORY (Genesis maybe) came from the religious writings of Ugarit (which was destroyed 300 years before the Exodus). What about that simple statement did you not understand???? Please give me some more stand up comedy, you are so good at it! I can see it now "Ashley Star-Child, the European Tour!" wink2.gif

Like others have stated he is using our as the trinity.

God is of course human form I mean if not we would appear to be apes.

OMG the believers of Evo will go crazy on this one.

Perhaps someone could actually define what "our image" implies.

Well If you think of it this way.

We all look different but have similiar charteristics.

We all have eyes but some are brown,blue,green,hazel,gray,and blue green etc.

I mean who is to say what "our image" really was. Maybe he just made a mold and went from there.

Adding different colors to his canvas.

We are God's masterpiece all of us. wub.gif

Well since someone has pointed out that "no one has seen gods face", how do we know what he/she/it looks like anyhow?

We all have notions of what their personal idea of the appearance of god. We also have ideas about what angels look like, from art, and other media. We even have an idea about the appearance of the arch enemy, right?

My point is: How do we know any of this is anything close to being accurate? In fact, why would this celestial being, this enigmatic creator of all NEED a physical shell to begin with? And, if this creator doesn't need a physical, corporeal form, then why do we have one? If, indeed, we are 'in his image', shouldn't we be lacking in physicality, and be more akin to 'spheres of energy'?

Jmpd,

You are so correct. I mean no one has seen the face of God. We are only to interpret this with the basis of what the scripture says.

We created men in "our image"

I also believe that God is what one would say invisble. I mean aren't all things spiritual unseen? hmm.gif

Also there have been accounts of people seeing angels in the Bible. But I don't know if what a person sees is what is in their minds eye. I believe as mere humans we would not be able to look upon the true face of God until we are in Heaven.

I have personally seen a ghost or spirit. But I did not see the face. So maybe one can look upon the body but not the face.

Sorry if I am ranting. rofl.gif

happy.gif  Let's debunk it!  It's a widely debateable verse, but here's some of the interpretations:

1) It's a hint at the NT's talk about the Holy Trinity- the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

2) It's God talking to Himself in plural

3) God is talking to His court of angels.

What He's talking about in His own image is He created man in His own image- which is a special gift He bestowed to us.  We could have looked like 3- legged giraffe necked flying banana muffins, but He chose for us to look like Him, which I think is pretty awesome thumbsup.gif

694996[/snapback]

I must say I like this answer.

My understanding is from Baptist bible school. God made man in his image meaning with many of His own abilitys, examples.

1. The ability to either create or destroy.

2. The ability to pro-create or take a life.

3. The ability for un-conditional love. "Agape" you may want to research this unique hebrew word it does not translate well into english.

Not only did God create us in His spiritual image He created Himself in our image though Jesus. Now thats a compliment to us as humans and explains by action that He truly is Agape.

All the best

Irish

To put a spin on this did man create GOD in man's image ??? ohmy.gif

To put a spin on this did man create GOD in man's image ??? ohmy.gif

696229[/snapback]

That's what many people believe to be true. It's basically the theory that we made up God and the stories in the bible to better explain certain things and as a sort of guideline for life.

mako, why do you come into this forum and start trying to debunk our religion? This isn't the place! original.gif