Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese Military is no match for US Army!

Dr. Strangehug

World's largest army not necessarily the strongest

army

China's army is 2.8 million strong

user posted image

May 28, 1999

Web posted at: 3:26 p.m. EDT (1926 GMT)

(Originally posted June 1998)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The recent controversy over the possible transfer of weapons technology to China has brought new focus to bear on China's military.

Whether U.S. security was in fact compromised, the incident has renewed fears that China is on its way to becoming a military superpower in its own right.

How does China stack up to the U.S.?

The United States is widely regarded as the world's sole military superpower. But many experts expect China to challenge that status on the military front by early next century. Still Western analysts see little reason to fear from China's military:

# Its 2.8 million-person army is the world's largest but is poorly trained and equipped.

# Its 8,500 tanks are slow, small and out-of-date.

# The 4,000 fighter planes in the Chinese air force are mostly from the 1960s and 1970s and lack modern avionics.

# Its navy's 61 submarines and 54 surface ships are capable of little more than coastal patrols.

"It's a very large military. It's a very old military," says Tom McNaugher, a China analyst for the Rand Corp. "In fact, two scholars recently referred to it ... as the world's largest military museum."

To modernize, China is trimming its ground forces and using the savings to pick up high-tech bargains from the Russian arsenal.

It has already purchased a squadron of Su-27 fighter planes, with a second squadron on order. And it's taking delivery of two of four quiet and fast Russian Kilo class diesel submarines.

But progress has been slow.

"They aren't buying in a number that will lead to any kind of immediate increase in combat capability," Montaperto said.

"Reports are they are having trouble maintaining the submarines and the aircraft," McNaugher said. "The pilot training isn't all that effective. It's going to take a long time to absorb these weapons."

The assessment at the Pentagon is that China could not project a sustained military force any distance from its borders. American military officials also believe that China, for all its size, could not even successfully invade tiny Taiwan.

China slowly closing the gap

But if China's military is second-rate, it can still frighten its neighbors and put the United States on alert. China., with some 400 nuclear warheads, still has the world's third-largest nuclear arsenal and missiles that can reach the United States.

In light of last year's nuclear tests by India and Pakistan, China's nuclear arsenal may be more of a comfort than a threat to the U.S.

China has made no secret of its desire to hone its military capabilities.

Last year, then Prime Minister Li Peng said China should step up research in science and technology to "gradually upgrade weapons and other equipment and improve the defense capabilities and combat effectiveness of the army under modern technical and especially high-tech conditions."

Despite these moves, the U.S. military believes China is focused more on holding its ground closer to home.

"They don't want Taiwan to go independent. They have claims in the South China Sea, and they have to have a force that will put teeth into those claims," Montaperto said.

China's long-term goal may be to someday challenge U.S. superiority -- but the reality today is that the United States is the 800-pound gorilla in Asia and the Pacific, while China remains a superpower wannabe.

Military Affairs Correspondent Jamie McIntyre contributed to this report.

Source

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• SnakeProphet

• british_patriot

• Stixxman

The Chinese have the biggest army in the world, the USA have the best equipped, the British have the best trained

The Chinese have the biggest army in the world, the USA have the best equipped, the British have the best trained

697673[/snapback]

i'd put the us marines against the royal marines,or any other fighting force in the world.they are the last group you want to have looking for you!!!

Welcome to UM british_patriot

697673[/snapback]

i'd put the us marines against the royal marines,or any other fighting force in the world.they are the last group you want to have looking for you!!!

697681[/snapback]

US Marines... we are talking about troops with minimum training even teh US senior Military officials are asking for longer and more intensive training programs for them... these are troops that were shooting helicopters down in Iraq only recently.

Thanks for the wlcome XSAS thumbsup.gif

Your more than welcome and you will love it here.

I remember in news when an American Fighter plane fired on a British tank, the servicemen died in the tank. There luitenant said they are "Wild cowboys"

# Its 2.8 million-person army is the world's largest but is poorly trained and equipped.

I bet they are better traine than the Americans. thumbsup.gif

this seems to be beginning to stray off topic; shall we get back to China? Well, China has the numbers, sure; but although they're beginning to modernise their armed forces (new ships and planes), they still rely on old Cold War era equipment based on old Soviet designs, and they still seem to rely on the Cold war mentality of weight of numbers. The information in the article's five years old now, don't forget, but it's going to take a long time to update their forces if they buy only one squadron of new aircraft at a time; i think the nuclear submarine fleet still only numbers about five vessels.

Thats correct British patriot

There still having problems in Iraq and they don't have a full strength military force hell they can't even beat an organised group like Al Queada so I would not start spouting off about beating China.

If America do have a war with China they will probaly ask can they "borrow" The SAS and SBS services, and frankly, I wouldn't blame them.

If America do have a war with China they will probaly ask can they "borrow" The SAS and SBS services, and frankly, I wouldn't blame them.

Welcome British Patriot!

Btw, you're going a bit off topic here; this isn't about the British military, it's the Chinese.

China is catching up with technology, but it's army relies on quantity rather than quality. Does that sound similar to any (former) country to you?

Thanks for the welcome Galor thumbsup.gif

CHina could take on the US and win, with them Technology wouldnt matter, the US would iether run out of bullets or men befor the Chinies.

~Thanato

Chinies?

China and the U.S. both has nuclear weapons a war between the U.S. and china would be stupid no matter who strikes first for whatever reason, both armies would lose the fight it only takes a few well aimed nuclear missiles and thats it. Might as well launch a wmd if tensions ever pointed to war and see what roaches would come out of it.

I guess you don't take too kind to the Americans, Thanato?

Thanks for the welcome Galor :thumb:

Np. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here grin2.gif

The Chinese military is heavily based on the Former United Soviet States au-Russia technology, which, although powerful, is now outdated.

i agree with thanato, doesnt matter on your equipment, all wars matter in numbers of men u have fighting.

War is the dumbest thing anyways, it spends too much money. So many other good uses for that money.

Edit:"useful uses" sounds wierd

Edited by MJB222

Numbers don't matter mate, its the training and equipment

War is stupid, i totally agree, but in some cases it is neccasery

Too right: why not spend it on destroying poverty and training Democrats?

697771[/snapback]

Exactly. I think it was Stephen Lewis who said something similar to "The money is always there to take peoples lives, but never there to save them."