Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should We choose our Childs Religion?

Sherapy

My wife and I are agnostics. I'm very spiritual in that I like to meditate adn read esoteric writings. We plan on letting our children pursue their own spiritual path. We will encourage them to pick and choose very carefully and to be very careful of those that are very dogmatic in nature. What matters to us the most is that our children find one that leads them to personal fulfillment.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• hyperactive

• Paranoid Android

• Doccy

My wife and I are agnostics.  I'm very spiritual in that I like to meditate adn read esoteric writings.  We plan on letting our children pursue their own spiritual path.  We will encourage them to pick and choose very carefully and to be very careful of those that are very dogmatic in nature.  What matters to us the most is that our children find one that leads them to personal fulfillment.

717079[/snapback]

I like this idea too, I thimk the beauty of this enviorment is that your kids experience two differents paths and they get along this will go along way when they are in the world. The school that I have my kids in teaches from all different religions to eliminate discrimination, the philosophy is when you know about another you aren't afraid of them. Its up to us now as parents to define a new spirituality. It begins in the home.

There is nothing wrong with telling your own child "This is what we believe to be the truth." and then teach specifically about your spiritual beliefs. I do think that parents have the responsibility to teach their children about all paths/walks of life/religions and be supportive of what their child choses to do with their life.

There is nothing wrong with telling your own child "This is what we believe to be the truth." and then teach specifically about your spiritual beliefs.  I do think that parents have the responsibility to teach their children about all paths/walks of life/religions and be supportive of what their child choses to do with their life.

717486[/snapback]

I agree with you its unavoidable in actuality to avoid teaching what we believe for a time anyways they are defined by us until they begin to define themselves anyways, good point.

I think is more important to give a solid base of values and principles to a child, than letting a church do that for you.

Your personal experiences, believes and traditions will always influence the education that you will provide to your child, even in an indirect way.

I 'have been baptised orthodox and my children will. Sometimes this not a choice. But I will have the responsibility to teach them to recognize the values and principles that will adopt in their lifes.

Love, for example, is the central idea of all the religions.......but none of them have the ''property rights''.

I think that travelling towards your goal is more important (and fascinating) that the goal itself.

my parents are Orthodox christians

they didn't turn me into one cos they let me choose when i grow up

my choice was NO RELIGION!

To Purplos & ChrisK:

Do you think that you will be able to discuss other paths with your child(ren) fairly and without bias?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just asking because it would seem to be a difficult route to take.

For example, you practice your faith, and so does your child. You try to illustrate other religions/faith, and say that your child may choose a different one. What happens when the child asks "Why do you believe in 'Religion X'?", so how do you answer?

Also, with my own child, I've noticed that she tends to 'mirror' my own opinions. Example: we had gone to see the latest Star Wars movie. When we left, she was chattering away about the movie, and then asked me what I thought about it. Without thinking, I responded "It was ok, nothing really spectacular", and her response was "yeah, me too", and then began a critique of what was wrong with the movie.

It started me thinking that she is entering a stage in her life where she wants acceptance from those around her, and is willing to change her opinion in order to 'fit in'. After speaking with my wife about this, we both decided that from now on, we let her state her opinion, before offering ours.

OK, digression over, but the example serves. The question remains: Can you impartially discuss other religious choices with your offspring? Or, do you think, however, that your responses to questions about other paths will be biased?

To Purplos & ChrisK:

Do you think that you will be able to discuss other paths with your child(ren) fairly and without bias? 

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just asking because it would seem to be a difficult route to take.

For example, you practice your faith, and so does your child.  You try to illustrate other religions/faith, and say that your child may choose a different one.  What happens when the child asks "Why do you believe in 'Religion X'?", so how do you answer?

Also, with my own child, I've noticed that she tends to 'mirror' my own opinions.  Example:  we had gone to see the latest Star Wars movie.  When we left, she was chattering away about the movie, and then asked me what I thought about it.  Without thinking, I responded "It was ok, nothing really spectacular", and her response was "yeah, me too", and then began a critique of what was wrong with the movie.

It started me thinking that she is entering a stage in her life where she wants acceptance from those around her, and is willing to change her opinion in order to 'fit in'.  After speaking with my wife about this, we both decided that from now on, we let her state her opinion, before offering ours. 

OK, digression over, but the example serves.  The question remains:  Can you impartially discuss other religious choices with your offspring?  Or, do you think, however, that your responses to questions about other paths will be biased?

718705[/snapback]

I certainly can, and do, discuss other religions with my son (he is only 7, so its basic stuff). I don't go to church and am not demonstratively religious in everyday life. I have explained my views on what happens to people that die and we had an extensive talk on what other people think happens too.

I am huge on learning for learning's sake, so I think I personally will be rather good at letting them explore other faiths.

To Purplos & ChrisK:

For example, you practice your faith, and so does your child.  You try to illustrate other religions/faith, and say that your child may choose a different one.  What happens when the child asks "Why do you believe in 'Religion X'?", so how do you answer?

Also, with my own child, I've noticed that she tends to 'mirror' my own opinions.  Example:  we had gone to see the latest Star Wars movie.  When we left, she was chattering away about the movie, and then asked me what I thought about it.  Without thinking, I responded "It was ok, nothing really spectacular", and her response was "yeah, me too", and then began a critique of what was wrong with the movie.

It started me thinking that she is entering a stage in her life where she wants acceptance from those around her, and is willing to change her opinion in order to 'fit in'.  After speaking with my wife about this, we both decided that from now on, we let her state her opinion, before offering ours. 

OK, digression over, but the example serves.  The question remains:  Can you impartially discuss other religious choices with your offspring?  Or, do you think, however, that your responses to questions about other paths will be biased?

718705[/snapback]

As I said, you cannot be impartial. You have your own believes, views, traditions.

I was baptised when I was baby, I have made my own choices when I was 12 (I am an atheist), I always defend them, because I think they are right. But I do not want, in any way, impose them to the others. And I am always listening, I always search.

If I will be able to make my children wonder, search and have their own believes (whatever they are ), then I will succeed in their education.

Everyone has his own ''Truth''.

And I am very glad to hear that these matters are part of the family discussions. Not everyone does it you know.

There is enough hate between people for their ''differences'' in politics, religions, sexuality.