Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oak Islands treasure

Icy Flame

Oak Island is an island in Nova Scotia. At the year 1795 a teenager called David McGinnis found a strange circular marking on the ground. Later he and his friends returned to investigate. Two feet below the surface they came across of layer of flagstones covering the pit. At 10 feet down they ran into a layer of oak logs spanning the pit. Again at 20 feet and 30 feet they found the same thing, a layer of logs. Although they had to stop there, because of lack of equipment.

After 8 years the returned. They continued down to 90 feet, finding a layer of oak logs at every 10 foot interval. Besides the boards, at 40 feet a layer of charcoal was found, at 50 feet a layer of putty, and at 60 feet a layer of coconut fiber.

An amazing finding was a stone at 90 feet with mysterious carvings.

Unfortunately after the stone water began leaking into the pit causing it to flood.

The same thing happened with a pit that was dug parallel the first pit, so the researchers had to abandon their project for 45 years.

At the year 1850 another group of researchers tried their luck at finding the treasure. Although they where also flooded and pumping the water did not help since it was renewed by the sea. Although instead of digging for the treasure the decided to drill for evidence first. At 98 feet the drill went through a spruce platform. Then it encountered 4 inches of oak and then 22 inches of what was characterized as "metal in pieces""; Next 8 inches of oak, another 22 inches of metal, 4 inches of oak and another layer of spruce. The conclusion was that they had drilled through 2 casks or chests filled will coins. Upon pulling out the drill they found splinters of oak and strands of what looked like coconut husk. That was as far as they could reach.

***These researchers returned in 1850 with plans to dig another parallel hole and then tunnel over to the Money Pit. Just like before, as they tunneled over, water began to rush in. They brought in pumps to try to get rid of the water but it was impossible to keep the water out. During the pumping someone noticed that at Smith's Cove during low tide there was water coming OUT of the beach.

This find lead to an amazing discovery - the beach was artificial!***

It turns out that the pit designers had created a drain system, spread over a 145 foot length of beach, which resembled the fingers of a hand. Each finger was a channel dug into the clay under the beach and lined by rocks. The channels were then filled with beach rocks, covered with several inches of eel grass, and then covered by several more inches of coconut fiber. The effect of this filtering system was that the channels remained clear of silt and sand while water was still allowed to flow along them. The fingers met at a point inland where they fed sea water into a sloping channel which eventually joined the Money Pit some 500 feet away. Later investigations showed this underground channel to have been 4 feet wide, 2 1/2 feet high, lined with stone, and meeting the Money Pit between the depths of 95 to 110 feet. In response the researchers tried building a dam to block the water flow, but a storm destroyed it (interesting fact- as the new dam was built the remains of an old dam where found).

In 1897 researchers manage to clear out the Pit down to 111 feet where they actually saw the entrance of the flood tunnel temporarily stopped up with rocks. However, the water worked its way through again and filled the pit. After a try with explosives at the time (which apparently failed) some core samples found at the pit which where out of the ordinary.

At 126 feet, wood was struck and then iron. This material is probably part of the material that fell during the crash of the Pit. On other drillings the wood was encountered at 122 feet and the iron was missed completely indicating that the material may be laying in a haphazard way due to the fall.

Between 130 and 151 feet and also between 160 and 171 feet blue clay was found which consisted of clay, sand, and water. This clay can be used to form a watertight seal and is probably the same "putty"; that was found at the 50 foot level of the Pit.

The major find was in the gap between the putty layers. A cement vault was discovered. The vault itself was 7 feet high with 7 inch thick walls. Inside the vault the drill first struck wood, then a void several inches high and an unknown substance. Next a layer of soft metal was reached, then almost 3 feet of metal pieces, and then more soft metal.

When the drill was brought back up another twist was added to the whole mystery. Attached to the auger was a small piece of sheepskin parchment with the letters "vi"; "ui"; or "wi"; What the parchment is a part of is still in question.

In May of 1899, yet another startling discovery was made. There was a second flood tunnel! This one was located in the South Shore Cove. The designers had been more ingenious and had done more work than previously thought. Though this find certainly strengthened the case that something valuable was buried below it didn't bring anyone closer to actually finding the treasure.

In 1936 Gilbert Hadden, in conjunction with Fred Blair, began a new investigation of the island. Hadden cleared some of the earlier shafts near the Pit and made plans for exploratory drilling the next summer. However, he made two discoveries away from the Pit.

The first was a fragment of a stone bearing inscriptions similar to those found on the inscribed stone discovered at the 90 foot level of the Money Pit. The second discovery was of several old timbers in Smith's Cove. These timbers seem to have been from the original designers due to the fact that they were joined using wooden pins rather than metal. As will be seen later these timbers were only a small part of a much larger construction.

The next treasure hunter was Erwin Hamilton. He began his search in 1938 by clearing out previous shafts and doing some exploratory drilling. In 1939 during drilling two more discoveries were made. The first was the finding of rocks and gravel at 190 feet. According to Hamilton they were foreign and therefore placed there by someone. The second finding came after clearing out an earlier shaft down to 176 feet. At this point a layer of limestone was encountered and drilled through. The drilling brought up oak splinters. Apparently there was wood BELOW the natural limestone.

Daniel Blankenship, the current searcher, began his quest in 1965. In 1966 he dug out more of the original shaft found by Bob Dunfield in 1965. It turned out that the shaft did go beyond 45 feet. Blankenship found a hand-wrought nail and a washer at 60 feet. At 90 feet he met a layer of rocks in stagnant water. He assumed this was part of the south water tunnel but couldn't explore further because the shaft could not be stopped from caving in.

A pair of wrought-iron scissors were discovered in 1967 buried below the drains at Smith's Cove. It was determined that the scissors were Spanish-American, probably made in Mexico, and they were up to 300 years old. Also found was a heart shaped stone.

Smith's Cove revealed some more secrets in 1970 to Triton Alliance, a group formed by Blankenship to continue the search. While Triton was building a new cofferdam they discovered the remains of what appeared to be the original builders' cofferdam. The findings included several logs 2 feet thick and up to 65 feet long. They were marked every four feet with Roman numerals carved in them and some contained wooden pins or nails. The wood has been carbon dated to 250 years ago.

The western end of the island has also revealed several items. Two wooden structures, along with wrought-iron nails and metal straps were found at the western beach. Nine feet below the beach a pair of leather shoes were unearthed.

The next major discoveries came in 1976 when Triton dug what is known as Borehole 10-X, a 237 foot tube of steel sunk 180 feet northeast of the Money Pit. During the digging several apparently artificial cavities were found down to 230 feet.

A camera lowered down to a bedrock cavity at 230 feet returned some amazing images. At first a severed hand could be seen floating in the water. Later three chests (of the treasure type I would presume) and various tools could be made out. Finally a human body was detected.

After seeing the images, the decision was made to send divers down for a look. Several attempts were made but strong current and poor visibility made it impossible to see anything.

Soon after the hole itself collapsed and has not been reopened.

(First of all for all those who don’t like it long sorry for the length of my "speech")

You can see the layer inscription and the stones on the attachments.

By far I think that the most interesting question is what did someone have to hide that he didn’t want anyone to find so badly that he built an entire artificial beach for it!

Thoughts are welcome original.giftongue.giflaugh.gifrofl.gifyes.gifwink2.gifhappy.gif

post-20040-1119904152_thumb.jpg

post-20040-1119904175_thumb.jpg

post-20040-1119904912_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icy Flame

• Commander CMG

• marduk

• justcallmefox

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As to my question above "what is buried" I can answer part of it: by some researchers definition the inscription writes: "FORTY FEET BELOW TWO MILLION POUNDS ARE BURIED". Yet digging went down far below forty feet past the inscription- so actually a better question would be- how low is it? and how could a man (or an entire nation) build an artificial beach that even today’s hi-tech modern engineering can not even reach begin to breach or even reach the bottom of?

As to my question above "what is buried" I can answer part of it: by some researchers definition the inscription writes: "FORTY FEET BELOW TWO MILLION POUNDS ARE BURIED". Yet digging went down far below forty feet past the inscription- so actually a better question would be- how low is it? and how could a man (or an entire nation) build an artificial beach that even today’s hi-tech modern engineering can not even reach begin to breach or even reach the bottom of?

702024[/snapback]

Maybe reading a few of the recently posted threads would be advantageous in future huh

thumbsup.gif

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...showtopic=43199

Newbie alert

AROOGA AROOGA

w00t.gif

Edited by marduk

Welcome Icy Flame to UM go to the link Mad Marduk posted and perhaps reserect it rather than post a new Thread.

Edited by XSAS

Maybe reading a few of the recently posted threads would be advantageous in future huh

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...showtopic=43199

Newbie alert

AROOGA AROOGA

Well first of all id like to remark that yes, to this forum I am a "newbie" (I think you can see that on my info) and no I did not read every single one of the thousands of posts and topics in this site. Next time I will make sure that I do not repeat anyone especially for you marduk wink2.gif so you can calm down cool.gif

P.S. And thank you for the kind welcom XSAS, i hope to learn much from this forum and enjoy my time in it.

Edited by Icy Flame

You don't need to search the many 1000's of posts, use the search button. Anyway the Mods will merge it if they feel it is similar to the other post. As for Marduk, who is he? lol

i have heard of this....

what's with the water? why does it keep seeping in? hmm.gif

It was a very intriquete network of tunnels that filled up the main shaft as they got to various depths.

Well actually the entire beach where the pit is is an artificial beach- meaning that it was built by man and not by nature. the designer was extraordinarily sophisticated and designed it in a way that there where water channels flowing through the beach so that if at some point anyone would indeed try and did the treasure out it would flood the pit up and he would die or simply be left with a swimming pool.

My point although which I do not think that you have covered in past forum discussions is that the beach once again I will say is artificial- MAN MADE! How could anyone over 200 years ago have created an entire beach with so many layers, over 200 feet deep and booby trapped while beneath it all is a vast treasure. And this while we with all our machines and glory of the new age can barely even achieve a glimpse of it?

I would love to read some info on the beach and it's contruction? do you have a link.

But of course,

this is a main link, if you want you can just type "money pit" in Google, or oak islands treasure or something and I’m sure you’ll find plenty of info, although as you’ll be able to see much of my info came from this link:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topic...land/index.html

My knowledge on this is from a book I read a few years ago but there was no mention of the man made Island, Thanks for the link.

Anytime, don’t mention it tongue.gifwink2.gif

although after you’re done reading it would be nice if maybe you can tell me (maybe you may see something I didn’t) how the hell some guy alone or with helpers I don’t care created such a project. I mean even today with our by far more advanced equipment it seems close to impossible to create such a thing just like that- not to say thing of such a thing (the mathematical and architectural procedures the builder must have calculated in order for the layers not to crash and the water passages not to collapse or somehow destroy the treasure are impossible).

Edited by Icy Flame