Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has Science Really Effected Religion?

Guest Lottie

Guest Lottie

Debate suggestion by AztecInca.

Has science really effected religion or are the two still effectively seperate?

Looking for 2 participants in this formal, 1 vs 1 debate. Each particpant will post one introduction, five body posts and one conclusion.

Any questions feel free to PM thumbsup.gif .

Edited by Lottie

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• about

• saucy

Can I participate in this one please? I'm already involved in 2 debates: one with Deception on Vivisection (Deception hasn't posted for 8 days now; doubt he's coming back no.gif) and one with Walken on Eating Meat (just started) I can completely understand if you thin kI'm taking on too much original.gif If I can, I'd like to debate that Science HAS affected religion please.

Edited by Galor

Guest Lottie

Galor, as long as you feel you are not taking on too much then you are very welcome as always to participate original.gif .

Galor will be debating that Science Has effected Religion.

Looking for someone to debate against him thumbsup.gif .

Guest Lottie

Fabulous!

Galor will be debating that Science Has effected Religion.

Saucy will be debating that Science Has Not effected Religion.

The debate will consist of an introduction, 5 bodily posts showing countering of the opponent, good style, persuasive arguments and information relevant to the topic, and a conclusion. Remember to quote all your sources, no flaming or offensive langauage and please try to keep to the time limits of the rules which are 7 days per post.

Any questions, I am just a PM away.

Good luck! thumbsup.gif

w00t.gif Hey saucy I thought you'd dissapeared of the face of UM tongue.gif Last time I saw you was I think over a year ago....

Intro

It's fact. Science has affected religion. Just pause for a moment and think about it; what would religion (and the world) be like today if it wasn't for science? Science has affected religion in countless ways; take Scientific Christianity for example. The theory of Evolution by scientists that has opposed Creationism by fundamentalists. The world would be full of fundamentalists if it wasn't for science; you can't deny that science has affected religion in some ways. I look forward to a good debate.

Galor

Hey Galor, It's good to see you again!! I've been around......

Introduction: In this debate, I'm out to prove that in fact, science has not changed religion at all and I'm even going to be as bold as to say that science has complimented religion. Oh, this is going to be a great debate between two old friends. Good luck Galor!

Here goes! Sorry i took so long; I'll be more consistent in my posting from now on in all my debates eg usually within 24 hours of posting. Had to finish Geography Project. eg Usually within

Body Post I

~~~~~~~

Religion

Religion has, is and will probably always be an intricate part of human culture. It gives explanations to the mysteries of life; Who created us? Why does the sun move the way it does? What's the meaning to our existence? Humans have believed in religions for 1000s of years; there was no such thing as an Atheist 300 years ago. But then - Science came along.

Science

Science is like religion; it aims to explain the mysteries of life. But, unlike religion, it always gives proof and evidence, and any 'explanation to a mystery' - better known as a theory - which isn't supported by solid, hard evidence will be dismissed by the scientific community as untrue until proven.

Conflicts: Religion v Science

Religion relies on its beliefs (religious equivalent of theories) to just be believed without evidence. But now that Science has come along, it can't anymore; the majority of people will no longer believe anything without proof or unless they want to. For example: if someone were to tell you that God existed, if you previously didn't, would you believe them without evidence? Of course not. So you can see how these 2 cultural necessities conflict. Religion's theories have been continually disproved and mocked by the scientific society because they have no proof. And so now we demand that proof be given for religious beliefs, or we may refuse to believe them. Or, that's what the logic would think. But it isn't; people will continue to believes their religion's beliefs even though there may be no, little or no hard proof to it. Why? Just because something hasn't been proved doesn't mean it's not true; it would be insane to say there isn't other life in the universe ; there is no proof that there isn't. But then again, vice versa, there isn't any proof to say there is. Don't worry, I'm getting to the point soon!

Affections: Science ~ Religion

Since the dawn of science, religion has been viciously attacked on all sides. And so now religion isn't as powerful as it used to be. Look back 1000 years ago, before science. Religion was the single most powerful thing there was; leaders of religion had vast amounts of power over their peers, simply because their peers (and them) believed in a religion; par exemplar, The Pope, Dalai Lama. These people had innumerable power back before science; but what power do they have today? Yes, still vast, but nowhere near as vast as it was before science. Science brought their downfall; science affected religion.

No 1: Science took power from religion.

Theory of Creationism

Most faith-centered (eg not way of life-centred, such as Buddhism and Confuscism) religion dictates that God, or Gods and Goddeses, created humans, along with other animals and the world. This seems logical; how else would humans and the world have been made?

Scientifical

Science has now proved that the world was not made by a God, but was made out of stardust and other space-materials that littered the skys, and pulled together by gravity.

Theory of Evolution

Science has now proved that a God didn't create humans; humans evolved from other animals. For more info click here.

Fundamental Beliefs

A lot of religious people, such as Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, etc still believe in creationism, even though there is innumerable proof to it being wrong. But, then again, a lot of religious people, such as those mentioned above, although believing in other aspects of their relgiion, believe in evolutionism.

No 2: Evolutionism is a new standard in religion

Looking foward to your next post, Saucy grin2.gif

Good post Galor! As a Christian, man in bible college, and even a preacher, I hear a lot that science has disproven religion. We need proof now in order to believe something? Well, that's probably why evolution is still just a theory. Honestly, can I prove to you that God exists? No. Can you prove that He doesn't? Again, no. God has made it that it requires faith to believe in Him. I have that faith that God does exist.

Evolution is a just a threory and it even shouldn't be classified as a science. Isn't it true that part of the scientific process is to be able to witness something happened before coming to your conclusion? You cannot witness that evolution ever happened. You can dig up a few bones, but that's about it. Yes, there are a lot of scientists out there who BELIEVE in evolution (faith?), but there are also scientists out there who support creationism. If science was so perfect and was able to kill God, then why do people still believe? Why haven't they been able to come out clean and say, "Hey, We've proved it. We've found the proof. God doesn't exist?" They haven't, but they've been trying.

The whole debate is based on whether or not science has effected religion and the simple answer is no. In the next few posts, I will explain further.

Nice post Saucy!!!

Body Post II

Good post Galor! As a Christian, man in bible college, and even a preacher, I hear a lot that science has disproven religion. We need proof now in order to believe something? Well, that's probably why evolution is still just a theory. Honestly, can I prove to you that God exists? No. Can you prove that He doesn't? Again, no. God has made it that it requires faith to believe in Him. I have that faith that God does exist.

Agreed. Science hasn't really affected religion in that believing in a God is a thing of the past.

Evolution is a just a threory and it even shouldn't be classified as a science. Isn't it true that part of the scientific process is to be able to witness something happened before coming to your conclusion? You cannot witness that evolution ever happened. You can dig up a few bones, but that's about it. Yes, there are a lot of scientists out there who BELIEVE in evolution (faith?), but there are also scientists out there who support creationism. If science was so perfect and was able to kill God, then why do people still believe? Why haven't they been able to come out clean and say, "Hey, We've proved it. We've found the proof. God doesn't exist?" They haven't, but they've been trying.

The whole debate is based on whether or not science has effected religion and the simple answer is no. In the next few posts, I will explain further.

Like I said before, yes, Evolution is a theory, but it has a hell lot of proof, and what does Creationism have? I personally used to believe in Creationism, as going to a catholic primary school I was taught, but I've seen that evolution is the much more real way, and I'm sure millions of others now believe in Evolutionism. To say that this hasn't affected peoples' religious ways would be untrue.