Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

College student gets F grade for mentioning God

TaintedDoughnuts

BTW, do we know what news source this story came from? I seem to have missed the link to it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seraphina

• Amalgamut

• Jodie.Lynne

• mako

Hope that helps....I think the Prof should be hung, I may be anti organized religion, but I am pro religious freedom and freedom of speech!

By that arguement, do you people harping on about this girl's freedom of speech feel that, had she been a Nazi, and had written a paper about how the Jews are the downfall of society, and that zionist conspiracies must be stamped out, that she should have passed with flying colours, regardless of whether or not anything she said in the paper was true?

It doesn't honestly matter what she chose to write about...she specifically chose to go against the criteria of the paper....that, and the premise for her paper remains a load of rubbish. While it's all very touching that you're leaping to the defence of a fellow christian (or something like that), it doesn't change the fact that she failed with good reason.

By that arguement, do you people harping on about this girl's freedom of speech feel that, had she been a Nazi, and had written a paper about how the Jews are the downfall of society, and that zionist conspiracies must be stamped out, that she should have passed with flying colours, regardless of whether or not anything she said in the paper was true?

719789[/snapback]

The sad truth is that she would have probably gotten a better grade had she chosen to write about this instead of God.

Amalgamut, as amusing as your very black picture is of athiests, I highly doubt that. Her F grade didn't have anything to do with her religious beliefs...it was about deliberately going against what the lecturer had requested for the paper. She decided to be a smart ass, and recieved exactly what she earned.

Sera, normally I would be 100% behind you, but if I don't protect the freedoms of the religious, then those freedoms won't be there to protect me from the religious. Believe it or not, in this country the woman could legally write Nazi propaganda and get away with it - sad but true! Having lived in the UK, I know that it is a little different there, but remember, we got our freedoms from your example! - Mako yes.gif

Amalgamut, as amusing as your very black picture is of athiests, I highly doubt that.

719860[/snapback]

Sorry, I didnt mean it like that. I was just saying that I think this teacher has a problem with God.

Her F grade didn't have anything to do with her religious beliefs...it was about deliberately going against what the lecturer had requested for the paper.

719860[/snapback]

I don't think it mentioned that it was going against what was requested for this paper. I could be mistaken, but I didn't see anything about what the requirements (or subject) of the paper was.

She decided to be a smart ass, and recieved exactly what she earned.

719860[/snapback]

So, you are telling me that if an atheist student did the same thing (wrote a paper about how there is no God when the instructor specifically told her not to) she deserves the same thing?

So, you are telling me that if an atheist student did the same thing (wrote a paper about how there is no God when the instructor specifically told her not to) she deserves the same thing?

If the student wrote an essay talking about how there was no god for the sole purpose of mocking the lecturer, then yes, I feel an F would have been quite appropriate.

Again, I support Seras position.

If the professor asked the class to write about their summer vacation, and the student chose to write about Einsteins Theory of Relativity, she would have gotten an "F" as well.

This is not about freedom of anything, it is about following instructions. A classroom has been compared to a benign dictatorship: the teacher dictates, and the students recite.

If a professor states a guideline for a paper, you follow the guidelines.

If you do not, you fail.

The same have happened if the professor asked the article to be about god, and the student deliberate made the article nothing about god. They would have failed.

That is what school is. Doing the work you're set, and getting graded on it. If we're going to start passing people who can't even follow a simple guideline, why don't we just give everyone diplomas for doing nothing at all, and we'll see where that goes.

rolleyes.gif

"I have one limiting factor – no mention of big 'G' gods, i.e., one, true god argumentation," Shefchik stated.

"He told me you might as well write about the Easter Bunny," Hauf told the Daily Press. "He wanted to censor the word God."

So he said he wanted no "one true god" arguements...and she did it anyway...and failed. Where does the confusion come from? huh.gif

it could have been a good paper.... The teacher should not have told her not to include F in it.... but she seemed to kinda been prompting him, writing a story about God when she knows he doesn't believe in God. That still gives him no right to say that though...

You know, in my first year of university, I was told to write an essay in the form of a short story, in which a tiny submarine explores the human respiratory system (this is my first essay in uni by the way, that I got an 80 something% on).

I acheived that 80 something % by going home, and writing about a submarine going through the human respiratory system....I would not have recieved an 80 something % had I written about a submarine going through the bloodstream...or the digestive system...or if I'd written about the respiratory system, but done so by writing about a seriel killer hacking someone's out and examining it in great detail.

In fact, for all of the above, I could have expected an F (and, in the case of the last one, a visit to a psychologist tongue.gif).

This girl did the same thing...she ignored instructions. In fact, she didn't just ignore them, she seems to have deliberately gone against them with the purpose of ticking off her lecturer. She does deserve that F, like it or not.

Just for perspective, these are some of the other news articles from the same site:

'Hillary inside the Pearly Gates!' By Craige McMillan

Click for these scintillating columns, others

Report: IRS probes evangelist Benny Hinn

Planet now shifting to Christianity

Slashed price on book that makes case for fastest growing faith on Earth

New blast for 'Bible Code Bombshell'!

Mathematics expert, ex-skeptic helps prove God's authorship

Christian campus warrior tells how to survive college

Book shows entering students how to combat hostile worldviews

Group tireless in supporting persecuted church

Founder of Voice of the Martyrs jailed, tortured by Communists for years

China arrests bishop

Detained for 6th time in 18 months after 20 years in prison

Pastor on trial for storing Christian lit

Leader of house churches faces years in jail

Meet Planned Parenthood's No. 1 enemy

Author's handbook provides succinct responses to 90 abortion arguments

Abortion clinic blaze called 'terrorism'

Police investigating but pro-lifers immediately suspected

The ex-gay gene?

Nicholas Jackson reveals what students subjected to in public classrooms

--WorldView Weekend

How the homosexual agenda affects your family

'The Gay Agenda' lays out implications of same-sex marriage movement

A little food for thought: Think they may have some sort of bias?????

Just could be tongue.gif

A little food for thought:  Think they may have some sort of bias?????

719974[/snapback]

Of course they have bias. everyone has bias. that takes nothing away from the merits of the case.....

I believe the paper was a load of garbage based on it's premise...the belief that religion is vital in running a nation. Religion, in the past and the present, has actually been the greatest source of division among mankind ever divised...any paper based upon this premise is, quite frankly, going to be full of tripe.

No offense Sera, but that's just your opinion there. A case can be made for the role that God has played in the shaping of the nation - as long as she argued that case on its merits, she should not have been given an F. I mean, you all moan that all the American Presidents have been Christian (or at least claimed such). Furthermore, after any tragedy, the President is seen on national television praying for the nation. People swear on the Bible when giving testimony in court. In God we trust is an integral mantra of the American nation (at least as far as I am aware). God plays a part, whether you believe it should or not is another matter. This person was quite within her right to argue such.

As far as I am aware, the lecturer would have allowed the paper if the student had changed the terminology to the small "g" god (which is generic and non-conforming to any specific belief structure). So you can mention god, but not God, if you know what i mean.

All the best,

I went back and checked it out and have to agree with you....mea culpa, I should have checked closer so that I could point that out. I do agree with BFG, everything written is biased to a extent, but a good author tries to keep his/her bias to a minimum. yes.gif

The problem I have with this article, is that it reminds on the one about the 4 christians who were supposedly arrested for praying.

Then it turned out that they had shown up at a gay pride event, and were determined to disrupt the event and tried to charge the stage.

They were arrested and charged with disturbing the peace, and resisting arrest IIRC. I will find a link.

When I said that the 'news site' had a bias, I meant that they were selective in what details to push.

If a professor states a guideline for a paper, you follow the guidelines.

If you do not, you fail.

The same have happened if the professor asked the article to be about god, and the student deliberate made the article nothing about god. They would have failed.

That is what school is. Doing the work you're set, and getting graded on it. If we're going to start passing people who can't even follow a simple guideline, why don't we just give everyone diplomas for doing nothing at all, and we'll see where that goes.

rolleyes.gif

719940[/snapback]

I agree Burnside. thumbsup.gif

I found the story of the 4 Christians. It was on Snopes.com

Philidelphia four

Read it.....typical skewing of the information that is perpetrated by the extreme right wing Christians. I do feel sorry for them, having to sit through hours of atheistic TV broadcasts on Sunday mornings, having Atheists try to force Atheistic prayers into the public schools, making students read the "Atheist Manifesto", having to suffer through Atheist putting Atheistic Commandments in Court Houses and other public buildings! It's so sad what Christians have to put up with, so sad that Atheists have all the political power in America! blink.gif