Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need some advice on the unforgiveable sin...

TaintedDoughnuts

I have a friend, "Bob," who isn't quite atheist, since he does believe in God, but he says some awful things about God, such as he despites God, he doesn't like Him, etc. Now, I'm concerned for my friend's spiritual life, and my question is: What does a person do or say to commit blasphemy against the holy spirit? Can my friend still be saved if I change his view of God, or has he already fallen beyond saving? Any info would be a big help.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dee Dee Warren

• GIDEON MAGE

• TaintedDoughnuts

• Kismit

Yeah.. just let him find what he's looking for. If it's not with your god.. then support him and be his friend no matter what his spiritual path leads him to.

I agree with what Kis said, just because he's disowning YOUR god. Doesn't mean he isn't in blessings with his own "eternal being". If he has one. And saying things like that doesn't sound very athiest, it sounds more agnostic. Anyway, if he doesn't believe in god, then he shouldn't need "saving". Because if he's stout in his disbelief he won't need salvation, since he's come to terms and knows he won't be going anywhere after death. original.gif

Edited by Janiel

Maybe he read the bible, and saw a few too many acts of genocide.

I wouldn't be altogether concerned...there are millions upon millions of people across the world who don't believe in your god (in fact, there are almost certainly more people who don't than there are that do), and are probably currently very worried about YOUR spiritual well being. One more isn't going to hurt.

Some advice from a fellow believer -

I personally do not think that there is anything that God will not forgive if we repent and believe in Jesus. If you wish to help your friend, the two most important things you can do are:

Pray - This is the first priority in anything Christians do. God answers prayer. Bring "Bob" before God.

and

Just be there for him dude. Don't stop hanging out with him just because he disagrees with your belief (I don't remember the exact statistics, but something like 80% of Christians lose contact with their non-christian friends within 2 years of being converted). Show him the love that Jesus has shown you. You can't do anything about how your friend reacts. That is God's business - remember, you're just the messenger.

Hope this helps. All the best,

Your friend is on his way to living his life fully awake, making decisions for himself, some of our greatest avatars at this time have been mad at God, it is a stage many go thru athiesm is the point where we just don't want to believe in a religious God, we would rather take our chances than except a God that is so mean and vengeful and judgemental (I was once Atheist) The people that helped me the most were the people who excepted and loved me anyways, I have since found my way religion is not a part of that path but I no longer hate religion I understand that it is the starting point for God as you grow in God you outgrow religion step away from it because it is no longer of use, Be happy for your friend he has incredible courage, When I stepped away from religion I made room for God to come in, I quit letting others tell me who God was and found out for myself, all the best to you and it sounds like you are a very caring friend Namaste Sheri berri,

Hey Td,

I think your friend hasn't commited the sin yet. But I am not sure.

the def. is- An indignity offered to God in words, writing, or signs; impiously irreverent words or signs addressed to, or used in reference to, God; speaking evil of God; also, the act of claiming the attributes or prerogatives of deity.

But just pray for your friend. He may be angry with God. But I know my mother was angry with God when my brother died and questioned him. I don't know if she said she hated him or not. But God knows your friend and his heart. You will only be able to pray for him. And that is what will take time.

God Bless, 101

Wow, you're a good friend. Although it seems you are one of those jesus freaks. Like most people here said, let him follow his own path. If he despises god, he is not an atheist. Last time I remembered, atheists do not believen any religion. And to hate, you have to believe.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I think I will let him make his own choice, but I will pray for him to make the choice he's most comfortable with.

I think it is great your concerned for your friend TD. I will also pray for "Bob" so he can have guidance. I will pray for you too so you have the right knowledge to share with "Bob".

I have a friend, "Bob," who isn't quite atheist, since he does believe in God, but he says some awful things about God, such as he despites God, he doesn't like Him, etc.  Now, I'm concerned for my friend's spiritual life, and my question is:  What does a person do or say to commit blasphemy against the holy spirit?  Can my friend still be saved if I change his view of God, or has he already fallen beyond saving?  Any info would be a big help.

708784[/snapback]

Donut, the "unforgivable sin" is merely the hardening of the heart. The doctrine of eternal security cannot be taken away from justification through faith. Paul blasphemed day in, day out, infact we have God's word that he did (what did he hear first when he was struck by blindness?). The question isn't "if" he can be saved, it's only on how to help him get saved.

Edited by babayagafamiliar

A Jewish man once said, "we can be for God, we can be against God, but we can't be without Him." I love that quote.

I'm also a fellow believer. From what I have studied and understand, your friend has to keep rejecting the Holy Spirit. Not neccessarily yelling or cursing at it. You see, the Holy Spirit gives us the drive to know Jesus. When a person keeps rejecting that, they are rejecting Jesus. Eventually they don't feel the drive anymore. I think it's at that point that the Holy Spirit finally gives a person what he/she wants, "Ok you win, I'll give you your wish and I'll go away forever."

There's not much you can do except pray for him. It's up to Bob if he accepts or rejects the Holy Spirit. It's also up to God if your friend is beyond saving or not.

Edited by Cendari

Thank you 101, I really appreciate it thumbsup.gif

babyagafamiliar and Cendari, thanks for your views, and I love that quote!

People that 'hate God' obviously must believe in His existence to 'hate' Him. People 'hate God' for alot of different reasons. Maybe you should ask him what it is that he thinks God has done/hasn't done to cause such hate. There's always a reason behind hate.

People that 'hate God' obviously must believe in His existence to 'hate' Him. People 'hate God' for alot of different reasons. Maybe you should ask him what it is that he thinks God has done/hasn't done to cause such hate. There's always a reason behind hate.

710101[/snapback]

Yes, that's what I planned to do, just have a friendly conversation and ask him why he despises God and get some more info on his view.

A least that will get to the core of the problem.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

To be forbidden to criticize, or how you put it- "blasphemise", a spiritual authority like god, is to approach spiritual slavery.

All bodies of power, just because they have power, should be scrutinized and criticized. So according to me, your friend has all the right in the world to say what he likes, when he likes and how he likes it if it has to do with his private life.

TD some times people are just mad at GOD they feel he let them down for what ever reason, if he is a good friend try to think about what could have happen in his live to make him feel that way also sometimes people, will not listen until they are ready, if you can let him bring the subject up, them he may be more willing to listen to what you have to say, good luck, ps no one is lost as long as they are still living! innocent.gif

When Jesus took the sin of the world, He did not get a pardon, He had to die to fulfill Scripture:

(DEUTERONOMY 24:16) The fathers shall not be put to death for the

children, neither shall the children be put to death for the

fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin. (KJV)

The sins of the world belonged to Jesus, they were His, and they were unpardonable.

There will never come a day when the love of God will not be able to overcome a person's hate for Him. Jesus said to love our enemy that we might be as our Father. HINT.

When Jesus said "It is finished." covering Bob's anger was part of what was completed. Covering unbelief was also finished as God concluded all in unbelief that He might (and did) have mercy on all.

God and Jesus are not pieces of toast that need to be buttered up. God would rather have a person's anger come out at Him, then at another human.

The Holy Spirit never forgives. Many people never forgive a baby for spitting up on them. Same reason, they never took offense. It is the Holy Spirit, not the grudging spirit.

The Holy Spirit has an objective, that is bring people into the knowledge of the love of God. He does not have time to hold grudges. He has work to do. And He does it because He also loves God's creation. Mankind being what all creation was created for. In the Image of God.

Ken

All you can do for him, is keep him in your prayers.

A person should have the freedom to choose which belief and path they wish to follow.

*Remember - some people do not like to be preached to!

Edited by nativechick1989

TD, the unforgiveable sin is to so harden oneself to Jesus that one will never ask for forgiveness. We cannot know if someone has done this. Our commission is try to share the forgiveness that is offered not to try to figure if someone will never be reached. Usually the fear isn't that a friend may have committed this sin but oneself, for Hebrews says that once one has tasted the heavenly gift and then turned away it is impossible to restore him to repentance. I sure thought I did that once - but there is a simple test for that. If a person can genuinely repent and ask for forgiveness then they have not committed that sin for if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I pray for success with your friend - and not to argue with anyone in this thread, for I wll not respond to rebutalls as that is not my heart here - TD, if Jesus is the only way (and He is - and I think you believe that too) then remember that good intentions pave the way to hell. It may sound tolerant and modern to say that you should let you friend find his "own path" and his "own god" - yet no one would say this if we were talking about other issues such as choosing between easing one's pain in alchohol or seeking medical interention for clinical depression. We would never say "well you know SSRIs have worked for some but my friend has found the Smirnoff path." If you are indeed a Christian, letting your friend simply follow his own path is the most unloving thing you could do. Blessings to you.

The following is not addressed to any previous poster, so please don't take offense.

One of the most heinous sins, but not unforgiveable (there is no such thing to any who believe in a loving god) is to interfere with another's beliefs and to try to shove your religion down their throat when they are happy with their relationship with god. Just like in medicine, there are many different cures, and sometimes more than one version of the same drug, there is only one God and thousands of paths that all lead to god. To proselytize is like trying to make someone change from advil to ibuprofen. It is meaningless, and could hurt in the long run. There is no such thing as "one's own god", just "one's own path" to the same God. All religion boils dwon to three words in the English language "Don't hurt people!" THe rest is gloss and unnecessary. "Don't kill" because it would hurt someone. "Don't commit suicide or overdo drugs or alcohol" because you are someone. "honor your moither and father" because they are people. When people "witness" to someone who already has a path to god, and is not in a hopeless wallow of despair, they are hurting that person. This goes especially to missionaries of any faith, and those annoying pests that knock on your door.

they bring hurt, not help. if they really wanted to help others, they would limit that to providing food, etc., and just letting the others know in the least offensive manner, that they have a path to god, if needed. anything else causes pain. no-one owns god. no religion owns god. if you think your religion is the only true way, then you need to reread your scriptures. Your egotisam actually separates you from god; it doesn't matter whether you believe me or not.Find your own path, and leave others alone, unless they ask. Guess what- most already know God at least as well as you do. anyone can ask God for forgiveness; religion means nothing to God. God loves you. God forgives you, and does not ignore any sincere requests.

God can soften the hardest heart.